• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will 2 bucks live together happily?

MB1201

Young Bun
I've heard so many conflicting opinions on what rabbit pairings work, our local rescue is shut down until later in winter and we don't have any rescues all that locally to us, so getting an already neutered male/female pair is out of the question atm :(

Will 2 rabbits fight? Even after neutering? I made an enquiry to a breeder and he's said two males will fight to the death but another breeder has said that if neutered they should get on ok, especially if they're siblings?

Our idea was to get 2 male mini lops, and get them 'done' ASAP - should they be ok?
What to believe ?! Please help

Bunny runs can be arranged nationally! :wave:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=34724

Any two buns may fight - a pair that's ready bonded is much safer.

ETA Male pairs can work - I've had several - but that's generally been with older males. Personally I'd go down the rescue route - otherwise you may have to face having two single buns; at least with a rescue you've also got the anxieties about neutering out of the way.... :wave:

Last edited:
As mentioned lots of rabbit rescues rehome nationally so they don't have to be local to you :) I adopted Gordon from honeybunnies rescue (honeybunny is her username here) in Leicestershire when I lived in a tiny village near hull.

I've known people with two neutered boys which live happily so yes it is possible, but I'd say risky. I attempted to bond a trio with two males and it was going great until after they seemed totally settled a fight occurred out of the blue between the males, leaving one with scratches and teeth marks/big scabs which has put me off trusting biys together personally :( Plus it will be a pain keeping them separate until they can be neutered as you might not know when hormones might kick in.

There are several Rescues around Bristol - which I think is where you are - so they may be worth checking out.

I've heard so many conflicting opinions on what rabbit pairings work, our local rescue is shut down until later in winter and we don't have any rescues all that locally to us, so getting an already neutered male/female pair is out of the question atm :(

Will 2 rabbits fight? Even after neutering? I made an enquiry to a breeder and he's said two males will fight to the death but another breeder has said that if neutered they should get on ok, especially if they're siblings?

Our idea was to get 2 male mini lops, and get them 'done' ASAP - should they be ok?
What to believe ?! Please help

There's absolutely no guarantee that two boys will get on, before or after they are neutered.

If you want a neutered male/female pair, I'm sure you could find one, perhaps on the Rabbit Rehome site? There are so many rabbits needing homes that I personally wouldn't support a breeder, but there are many on here who would, so it's up to you!

I have two male lops that have been together from six weeks old, they are just over one now. They were from a breeder (although after joining here I would never get rabbits from a breeder again, rescues are best!)

They were neutered as soon as their ''bits'' dropped, they did have to be separated briefly when Milo started to show signs of maturing (chasing a humping a LOT) and I can safely say after neutering and calming down they live together very happily, they love each other in fact! However, the easiest bond is one male and one female who are both neutered.

So yes, it is possible to have two males live together, but I would always personally advise one male and one female. My boys are peace itself, there is a bit of excitement at food time which makes Milo hump Finn but after that nothing else happens, but you can't guarantee all male pairs will be like this. Obviously I would never ever keep two boys who were not neutered, this is a recipe for fighting, and boys do fight to the death.

Here are my two. x

Last edited:
I would very much say it's down to the individual rabbits. I've always found boys easier to bond than girls but I've always been bonding mixed sex groups

I would very much say it's down to the individual rabbits. I've always found boys easier to bond than girls but I've always been bonding mixed sex groups

It's funny because I always hear about the ladies causing the issues in the relationship where bunnies are involved! :lol:

I agree that it depends on the personalities of the bunnies. Some can work, and some can very much not work, no matter how hard you try. So, it's down to the bunnies.

I have completely the opposite - males are easy - females often a nightmare!! I have lots of male groups and its always when I introduce females that the females start to fight each other and even fight the males (yes they are all neutered). Its really up to the individual character of the rabbits. Male/female pairings can be just as tricky as male/male.

I have completely the opposite - males are easy - females often a nightmare!! I have lots of male groups and its always when I introduce females that the females start to fight each other and even fight the males (yes they are all neutered). Its really up to the individual character of the rabbits. Male/female pairings can be just as tricky as male/male.

Agree; girls have been my problem too, on the whole. :roll:

And yes, in the end it's about individual rabbits, which is why adopting an established rescue pair is much safer IMO. :wave:

I've had pairs of same sexes before but have had plenty of brother pairs who have fallen out despite neutering early. Currently I have one male pair looking for a home and they are great together. I think that even if they get on early in life they can have a tendency to fall out when they get to about 18 months or so when they are fully mature (approximate). But as has already been said - very much depends on the rabbits.

I had a pair of brothers that I lost last year and this year respectively. They'd reached the grand age of 11 years and had been very loving and also welcomed others into their bunny pile up. They were known as the mankies and actually became the back bone of a larger group. (was 9 bunnies at one point) but as soon as they passed away the group destabilised. They were what I call 'nurse bunnies' who welcomed others and groomed, laid with anybody.

Yes I am in Bristol, we were planning on going to the cottontails rescue in Wiltshire but they've shut down until September :( we were going to look at bath dogs and cats home but they only have a few singles and a giant pair at the moment, and my nearest rspca branch is Newport and they have singles.

I was looking at the littlest rescue and they seem to have a lot of same sex pairings anyway, and some of them have quite a big age gap which we don't particularly like as we'd be distraught having to leave one bunny and it wouldn't be the same just getting a replacement one if you know what I mean, as in well get attatched to the first two but when the older goes a replacement won't feel the same.

I've only just come across the bath bunny rescue and really like it - I think we'll have a look there as many pairs of different ages and some of the foster homes are only down the road from us :D

Yes I am in Bristol, we were planning on going to the cottontails rescue in Wiltshire but they've shut down until September :( we were going to look at bath dogs and cats home but they only have a few singles and a giant pair at the moment, and my nearest rspca branch is Newport and they have singles.

I was looking at the littlest rescue and they seem to have a lot of same sex pairings anyway, and some of them have quite a big age gap which we don't particularly like as we'd be distraught having to leave one bunny and it wouldn't be the same just getting a replacement one if you know what I mean, as in well get attatched to the first two but when the older goes a replacement won't feel the same.

I've only just come across the bath bunny rescue and really like it - I think we'll have a look there as many pairs of different ages and some of the foster homes are only down the road from us :D

That's only five weeks away - not long!!

Long enough to gain lots of info and a great bunny set up though ......:D

hello i have two boys living very happy together. they came from different parents. they were separated when we had them neutered for a short while, but they went back together with no problem.

hello i have two boys living very happy together. they came from different parents. they were separated when we had them neutered for a short while, but they went back together with no problem.

I seem to remember you had your moments, Rita :shock:

This for me too. My wildie boy is a nightmare with other boys (except 1), but all my other boys have bonded really easier either into pairs or big groups. And I've bonded LOTS.

None were related, all were neutered.

Back