• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another...grooming question!

Sarah1991

Warren Veteran
I'm sorry to ask yet another grooming question, I'm sure there are thousands of threads about ''the best brush'' but what I need to know it slightly different.

I know that a lot of people use a slicker type brush and some use the rubber point type brushes like the cat zoom groom.

I have both of these but neither seem to really get into their fur and help with the shedding, has anyone used a brush on a medium haired bunny that sheds like the clappers and found that it really does get fur out?

The reason being Milo sheds ridiculously and there's always fur in the air in the enclosure, he is a bit of an obsessive groomer and I think it may be a contributing factor to the stasis he has now been though twice, even if its not the root cause! I need to start brushing him every single day, I've seen those furminator things but I know lots of people have had issues and they had hurt bunnies, is there something similar to this that is more gentle?

I've tried wetting my hands slightly and things, the tiny slicker brush isn't big enough I don't think, I seem to be spending ages working on them. I also think I'm going to have to start getting them on the worktop to brush them as I never really get into all areas, I usually only get their backs before they run off. I need to be able to do their chests as well.

Any help would be appreciated? x

Last edited:
I use a Tangle Teezer on Barney and find it gets loads of loose hair out. As he's a giant I use the original sized brush but you can buy mini versions of it which maybe more suitable for smaller rabbits. I shall have to groom him later and take a pic of what hair I get out!

That's not a bad idea.

As I say I had heard of these furminators but I'd heard they were a bit harsh?

You can get shedding combs with two different length teeth and these seem to work quite well on lop types with medium coats.

The lady who comes in to do Harleys grooming and clipping also does Holly - although short haired she has an incredibly think coat and sheds so much hair. After a good brushing she used this on Holly and my goodness, it got rid of ALOT of hair - it is usually used on horses but it really worked well on Holly. I am going to order one now actually (keep meaning to) to try on the other buns

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINCOLN-Lin...qid=1437568408&sr=1-2&keywords=grooming+block

The lady who comes in to do Harleys grooming and clipping also does Holly - although short haired she has an incredibly think coat and sheds so much hair. After a good brushing she used this on Holly and my goodness, it got rid of ALOT of hair - it is usually used on horses but it really worked well on Holly. I am going to order one now actually (keep meaning to) to try on the other buns

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LINCOLN-Lin...qid=1437568408&sr=1-2&keywords=grooming+block

Hmm that's interesting, I've never seen one of these, Milo and Finn are medium haired. Do you think it would work ok on them?

Milo is ridiculous, I can see his cream fur flying in the air when I go in there. ¬¬

Hmm that's interesting, I've never seen one of these, Milo and Finn are medium haired. Do you think it would work ok on them?
Milo is ridiculous, I can see his cream fur flying in the air when I go in there. ¬¬

I don't know - looking at Milo and Finns pictures I would think so - they seem to have the same sort of hair as Holly.

I've just ordered myself one and and will give it a try on Sheldon who has the scruffiest bum ever and seems to take a dislike to me plucking him :lol: - I will report back :)

I use a combination on mabel as what works one day might not have same effect next as she goes through her moult

Fellie got here first! The grooming block is really fab and the best thing I know to get the deep fluff out, which is what you need with a heavy moulter! I got two or three tennis ball sized wads of fur out of Hollie! And like Fellie said that was after a good groom with both slicker and massage brushes.

PS Fellie, let me know how Shelly gets on :)

Back