• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Designing a hutch/run combo

Leesa

Warren Scout
Hi, hoping for some ideas / advice. My two mini lops are house rabbits currently and are going to have to move outside for a year as I am going to work in a different country for a year, so they will be going to live at my parents house whilst I’m away. I’m looking at getting someone I know to make a hutch and run combo, so can pretty much design it how I'd like it. I'm going to discuss the space with my parents tomorrow, but my mum wants them near the house under her window to keep an eye on them (the foxes also don't come that near the house), so can't be too tall - ie not a shed or playhouse so am limited with options. My bunnies will be living in my parents garden and my mum wants to be able to shut them in the hutch part in the night or when she is not there so cats and foxes can’t get them. With this in mind the usual hutch and run underneath combos seem a bit small if they were confined to the top hutch part. I’ve found this http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches/hutches_runs/trixie_natura_hutches/491550#more which I like the idea of, but seems a little small. My theory being they can have the whole of the top part when my mum isn’t around to keep an eye on them and also I was scared of a fox or cat jumping on top of the run on the usual style and peering in and scaring them, so figured this double idea might be a better, in addition to making best use of the space available. My mum will also let them run around in her conservatory whilst she is in and I have lead for letting them run round the garden so she can use these – whilst they are house rabbits on a sunny day currently we take them outside on their leads.

I’m a bit worried about what size the hutch would need to be to ensure they had enough space in the top section – can anyone give any guidance please? They currently have a large NIC pen with different levels and get the run of the lounge when we are in, so I’m a bit worried about them having enough space. Also what wood would be best to build the hutch with and any tips for maximum safety, ease for my mum of cleaning them out and getting them to come out for playtime etc? Thanks for any ideas/ advice you can give!!

The minimum size recommended by the RWAF is a 6ft x 2 x 2 hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ft x 4. As long as your hutch and run are fox-proof, there is no reason why they shouldn't access the run at all times - rabbits hate to be confined to a hutch.

There was a very recent thread by lilacamy931 - Ryedale are very well thought of, so perhaps take a look at their site.

I'm afraid I don't agree with leads for rabbits - too many horror stories - but that's a different discussion.

Also, another recent thread by Bubblygem

Last edited:
The minimum size recommended by the RWAF is a 6ft x 2 x 2 hutch with a permanently attached run of 8ft x 4. As long as your hutch and run are fox-proof, there is no reason why they shouldn't access the run at all times - rabbits hate to be confined to a hutch.

There was a very recent thread by lilacamy931 - Ryedale are very well thought of, so perhaps take a look at their site.

I'm afraid I don't agree with leads for rabbits - too many horror stories - but that's a different discussion.

Also, another recent thread by Bubblygem

Thanks, I'm not sure my parents will be happy, one of my rabbits gets stressed easily so worried that the sight of a cat or a fox looking at her would scare her. If I did proceed with my original idea would a double structure of 6ft x 7.5ft on each layer give the full minimum recommended permanent surface area for the top bit if they were locked up at night? Or would it need to be longer ie 6ft x 10ft? I've looked at the other sites including that one thanks, but still thinking if I can utilise the space at the top as well they have more space.

I haven't heard of horror stories with leads so will read up, thanks.

Back