• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scared bunnies

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Aboleth evidently hasn't got fully used to us yet: she is scared when we run past her with food (it was raining yesterday so Matt went on a dash for grass), when I wheel my bike out of the garage (this morning but not last week), when we come out of the house or through the gate too fast. She goes into the house and thumps (awww). She's easily reassured though; she's quite reactive to voices and has got used to my 'reassuring hand!' gestures :)

Lopsy don't care about us being weird: he associates us with food so is more willing to forgive ;P He does run at things we haven't seen and Aboleth doesn't care about though (she gives him the look of 'idiot...'), so he's got his own share of silliness. He's harder to reassure, usually because he's hiding somewhere we can't get to... :roll: He doesn't thump so much, he just sits quietly and ignores us.

What scares your bunnies and how do they react? How do you reassure them?

Most of my buns are pretty bomb proof but Lenny is a scaredy mouse and regards me with utmost suspicion unless I'm giving him food or nose strokes in his pen - outside his pen, he thinks I'm a big purple bunny eater :roll:

I spend hours everyday just sitting and I let him come to me on his own terms and then he eventually remembers I'm quite a nice human what does nice things to him - but he's not very bright really and forgets by the next day :lol:

When I walk up the stairs I have to sing 'coming up the stairs' so that Bobo doesn't get a fright when he sees me (his pen faces the stairs) - and equally when I am heaving up a 10 kgs bag of hay - I sing 'I'm heaving a bit heavy bag of hay for you ungrateful cretins' - I think he gets distracted my the strange sounds he is hearing and forgets to be frightened.:lol:

Some buns are just more nervous and jumpy than others I guess - I try to remember that and move quietly and slowly around them - and spend ages apologising and comforting when I forget and they get a bit of a fright - food usually helps of course :lol:

A couple of weeks ago, I heard loud thumping coming from the enclosure, attached to bun shed. Treacle was going crazy ! on closer inspection a hedgehog was sitting peering in :D it really spooked her ! I thought he was lovely :lol: her-not impressed !

Back