• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting our rabbits this month!

MB1201

Young Bun
After wanting a rabbit for years and really looking into them properly for the past 10 months - We'll hopefully be getting our rabbits this month. I'll post photos when we get them. Really, the point of this post is for me to make a list of everything we're getting - if it's suitable and if there's any other essentials we need.

- 7 x 4 Shed - meshed windows - we will have non slip vinyl/ lino flooring down, and shelves put up so we can store all the bunny stuff in there.
- Supreme Science Pellets, we'll be using hay for pets and that will be stored in a bin inside the shed.
- Hopefully adopting a pair if any around, but if not wil get two boys and will get nuetured ASAP.
- 8 x 4 collapsible run
- free range of garden
- Carrier, 2 litter trays, hay rack, bowls and around 10 toys - Is this enough? :S
- Planning on giving veggies 4x a week and Fruits 1x a week
- Pellets- a coffee mug full for two rabbits each night - is this enough/too much?
- Free range when we can

We're so excited, we've been waiting for a while now and we cannot wait!

QUESTIONS:

Are rabbits interactive - as in do they greet you when you go up to them?
How much fruit should they have? ( i know not too much as high in sugar)

Hopefully you'll start to see pics of accomodation coming together in a few weeks - I'll update this thread as and when :)

How exciting! A coffee mug full of pellets sounds a lot to me and obviously it will depend on the size of your rabbit. My vet advised no more than an egg cupful for my rabbit (who weighs 2kg). Plenty of hay though, rabbits should be encouraged to eat hay as much as possible as it helps to keep their teeth in check. In terms of veggies / fruit - introduce these slowly i.e. one type at a time, in a small amount and then wait for a few days to see if it has upset your rabbit's stomach. Don't forget herbs (but you may be classing these as veggies?) - coriander, parsley and mint are rabbit safe.
Free range of the garden - others will be experts on this, but don't forget that free range in the garden should always be supervised in case of predators and your rabbits should be provided with refuge so that they have a safe place.

In terms of rabbits being interactive - yes they are once you've built trust. My rabbit greets me (usually when I have food) by 'nose bumping' - this is exactly how it sounds she bumps her nose on me! She also circles my feet when I'm getting her hay ready. She also comes when I call her.
Fruit shouldn't be given in high quantities/ too frequently as the sugar can upset the rabbit's delicately balanced digestive system.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing the photos :D

Hi and Welcome.... Top of that list should be Hay, Hay and more hay!!!!:D

You sound as if you have all bases covered but just watch the amount of veg and pellets you give the bunnies. Some buns can tolerate veg, some cant...

As for the run being collapsible... If you cant supervise your bunnies free ranging. You should give them access to run By attaching it to your shed..

Are bunnies neutered/spayed? This should be a High priority as putting together 2 entire bunnies can be catastrophic either By fighting or mating...

Very very best of luck, theres hundreds of pages of assistance on here..

Fee x

Oh my gosh, you must be so excited!!! :D:love::D:love::D:love: Bunnies are actually the best. Prepare yourself to fall head over heels into a love you wouldn't have dreamed possible, to become paranoid about poo, to learn the importance of the Fenugreek Crunchie and to have your first experience of the whiffly-whiskery rabbit kiss on your nose.

Some things to add to your checklist:

A bin for the shed. You want an enclosed one, like an ordinary kitchen bin, to stop scavengers like mice (and bunnies who suddenly decided that the hay they've ignored all day that you've now thrown away is the yummiest thing ever and they must get at it!) getting in.

A comfy chair for the shed. You will want to sit in there with them sometimes. It's useful for claw clipping time etc too, plus they will love the extra level!

Electricity for the shed. If you possibly can. I can't recommend it enough! We had a light in ours, and a wall mounted heater, which made things so cozy of a winter's evening. Also useful for a desk fan on top of the hutch in the summer.

Carefresh for the littertrays.

A small measuring device for the pellets. They say about an eggcup full a day per bunny is fine. Too many pellets can lead to mucky bums. In fact you can keep pellets for training purposes, rather than doling them out into a bowl. This should help with the bonding process. Don't forget you will have to change their food very gradually from what they're used to.

A plastic lidded storage container for open pellets, again to keep little visitors at bay! And to keep them fresh.

A dustpan and brush

Pet safe disinfectant

Hidey places to help nervous new bunnies feel secure - a large cardboard box or 2 will do just fine. It's a good idea to leave the carrier on the floor for them permanently too, so they can get used to being in it and not always associate it with scary stuff like vet trips.

Yes bunnies are interactive! Sometimes it's the 'grumpy grunt and scrabble at your hand' type of interactive, and sometimes it's the 'lick you and purr' type interactive, depending on mood and personality. Training is a great idea.

And fruit. Well, maybe one grape a day, that sort of amount.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone! I can't wait!

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear, I will introduce veg slowly and herbs, I'll try and keep fruit occasional and that's a really good idea of hand feeding pellets! I will use less pelleted then but I know the importance of hay so we will never be short of that! Only 3-4 weeks now hopefully ��

QUESTIONS:

Are rabbits interactive - as in do they greet you when you go up to them?
How much fruit should they have? ( i know not too much as high in sugar)

Are rabbits interactive - oh yes!!! But you really need to learn their language - someone pointed me in the direction of this site when I was new to the world of bunnies and I'm so glad they did. It's an quick and easy, fun read and you can dip in and out of it.
http://language.rabbitspeak.com/

Fruit? I limit mine to just a very small piece of fruit as their Sunday treat; my rabbits are pretty much at the top of their healthy weight range. So it's just one slice of apple or banana. For very special treats it's fenugreek crunchies.

So they don't feel like they are missing out I grow lots of strong flavored herbs - a small sprig of apple mint or even strawberry mint and it's binkies all the way :)

Good luck and have fun with your new buns.

Back