• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cheyenne - a good update :-)

Fellie

Warren Veteran
We had to rush Cheyenne to the emergency vets at 7pm last night - she was struggling to breath and sounding so wheezy. She was extended her neck trying to breath and her eyes looked all dull, and was very floppy when I picked her up.

I was worried about taking her to Newham Vets (haven't used them before) - but needn't have been. They had an oxygen tent set up by the time we got there and took her straight into that on our arrival and only after that were did we speak to a vet...who was very knowledgable about buns so that was a relief. She also had Baytril and Loxicom

Cheyenne was able to come out of the Oxygen tent at midnight and has eating a bit but no poops. Hubby collected her this morning and took her to Trinitys - she seemed alot better when he picked her up but she deteriorated with the car ride and being handled again at Trinity (she saw Richard).

They would normally do Xrays to see what is going on - but can't do this with her bad respiration. So they are embarking on what Richard called 'aggressive therapy'.

Cheyenne developed pasteruella when she was 8 weeks old - and it took weeks to get her healthy again - but she wasn't so ill - lots of awful sneezing but very bright in herself. She has been stressed recently with the arrival of the puppies - but had seemed to be getting over that but I reckon that has brought it on again - badly so this time.

I am very worried about my girl - I obviously love and adore all my buns - but I will admit she is one of the more special ones and I literally feel in love with her the moment I set eyes on her. I am so grateful we have Trinity as I know she is getting the best possible care - and that helps alot. Touching wood and praying like mad.

Last edited:
Sending little Cheyenne vibes and thoughts to pull through Fellie. Your description sounds just like how we found my 1st bunny one day. :'( Hope your girl pulls through. Xx

Sending lots of vibes for Cheyenne.

I hope Richard's aggressive therapy helps her and she feels better soon x

Oh no, poor girl :cry: It sounds like acute pneumonia :cry: I really hope that she can pull through xx

Oh my goodness - poor little sausage :(

You know - I was looking at her yesterday morning and she seemed a bit 'off' then - I just felt something was not quite right but she came out for a run and ate her breakfast with her usual gusto so didn't worry too much - and I was out all day so didn't get a chance to check on her until I returned in the evening. It was horrible - she tried to eat a treat I put in and she just couldn't the breath to do it.:cry:

She's in the best place possible now though - just a matter of waiting and keeping fingers and toes crossed.

You know - I was looking at her yesterday morning and she seemed a bit 'off' then - I just felt something was not quite right but she came out for a run and ate her breakfast with her usual gusto so didn't worry too much - and I was out all day so didn't get a chance to check on her until I returned in the evening. It was horrible - she tried to eat a treat I put in and she just couldn't the breath to do it.:cry:

She's in the best place possible now though
- just a matter of waiting and keeping fingers and toes crossed.

She certainly is and they will do absolutely everything possible to try to help her.

She's in the best place possible now though - just a matter of waiting and keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Acute Pneumonia is incredibly serious, and I really hope it isn't that. However, you have an excellent vet on board, so she has the very best chance!

Lots of healing vibes being sent to your lovely girl - I hope she pulls through, bless her. What a terrible worry. xxx

Thank you so much everyone - I am worried but trying not to be if that makes sense :)

I've just rung Trinity for an update and she is stable - but they're keeping her in for a few days for treatment. I havent been told exactly what is wrong with Cheyenne - but I guess it is difficult for them to tell without Xrays and she can't have those yet. But still - she has had the chance to relax and that will help.

I have just spoken to Trinity receptionist - who spoke with Mark :D

Cheyenne is doing okay, quite bright and taking syringe food very well and is staring to poop (she is a little darling when being given meds by mouth - so can imagine she is causing no problems with CC - my little angel she is :love:)

She has been on a nebuliser and has had antibiotics so all that must be helping.

They will see how she is tomorrow before deciding on her next course of treatment.

She is obviously fighting whatever it is and that makes me very happy indeed.:D

The poor girl is going to get sooooo many cuddles when she comes home - she is my one and only bun who does not struggle when being picked up and happily puts up with my kisses so must be careful not to over do it (I don't think she likes it - just too well mannered to protest :D):love:

It sounds as though she is responding to treatment really well. I hope the improvement continues and that she will soon be well enough to return home xx

Back