• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

beano, gordon and jake have had a huge fight

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Cant believe it, things were going so well they've constantly been snuggling and grooming. Nothing was changed around them at all. We've just got back from visiting my dad for his birthday and the bedroom is covered in fur and there's some slight spots of blood. Its 99% Gordon fur. Split them and beano and Gordon are getting on fine back as they used to so i believe it is safe to keep them together, they are the original pair. Beano looks like she wasn't involved. I've thoroughly checked them and Jake has a small mark that cant be seen just feels slightly raised but poor Gordon he has a mark where I can see two teeth marks near his back end and can see they're red, they've already started to scab over. He has another similar injury on his stomach which again has started to scab. He also has a scratch on the inside of his ear (white not red/bloodied scratch). They're all eating and settles now but do you think they need to see a vet?

Feel absolutely terrible about it I'm in tears. I think it may have been causes by Jake jumping on the bed and spending time up there as there's his fur on the bed where it looks like he's spent lots of time sat but beano and Gordon don't jump on the bed and Gordons gone for him when he's jumped down but come off worse.

Obviously will not put them back together ever. I thought the bond was good, feel devastated as they were getting on so well. :cry:

Just finished washing the crate with vinegar solution for beano and Gordon so the smell of Jake doesn't upset them. They're resting side by side so I hope their bond remains intact. Jake is back to being in the front room. Feel so sad for them all.

Aaw, I am so sorry that it's not worked out for them all, it is so sad when all you want is to see them all happy together! It sounds like they are all ok again if they are all eating etc but just keep your eye on those scabs and note any changes in behaviour etc x

I am sorry :cry:

Did Beano's eating return to normal after this episode ?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...pellets-but-hay-veg-etc-intake-the-same/page2

Sometimes if one Rabbit in a pair/group is a bit off colour it can cause the dynamics of the bond to change and fights can occur.

I would check all Rabbits over again this morning. It is very easy to miss a new, small puncture wound and it is this type of wound that is most likely to cause problems (abscesses). It is often easier to feel tiny puncture wounds 12-24 hours after the fight has occurred. Also, make sure all their 'bits' are wound free, especially the two boys.

Have a close look at their eyes too. Corneal abrasions can happen during a fight and these would require treatment.

Rabbits, why are they so pesky at times !!

Thank you for the replies. Jane, beanos eating did return to normal shortly after the episode, bless you for remembering that. I've checked them all again and only spotted the sane wounds as yesterday which are looking a bit better, thank you for pointing out to check their eyes though. I checked bottoms first, the wound on gordons stomach is only an inch or so away from his bits. Imagine if it had been worse :( What would be the first signs of gordons wounds abscessing? Keeping a close eye on them, Gordon has been chasing beano a bit so shut the in the crate where they are acting fine its when they have the full room and beano moves towards him he chases her so hoping they'll settle.

Currently have one of my rats bullying the other four atm too worrying what to do with him, everything happens at once doesn't it. :(

Aw Liz - I'm really sorry to hear this :( they bonded so quickly too. Bunnies eh, impossible to predict. I hope bunny & rat harmony is restored very soon. Maybe call your vet & let them know whats happened & they can advise whether an appointment is necessary/

Aww so sorry to hear this and hugs to your gorgeous boy. The same thing happened to me when I tried to bond my quad, don't feel bad it's just one of those things

Thank you all. Bunnies seem to be fine in themselves now. Jake has even been binkying in the living room. I hope they don't all wonder what's happened, like beano and Jake were getting on well I hope she's not wondering where he is... Jake will have to remain single with our company for now until we move into a house next year and he can have a wife of his own. He's very agile compared to beano and Gordon and they were a bit spooked by him jumping on the bed etc so will have to find an agile active wife!

Back