• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cage suitability

Thumper42

New Kit
Hi,

I am thinking of getting two rabbits (specifically Netherland Dwarfs) possibly in the near future and I was wondering if the cage I had for my previous two guinea pigs would be suitable or not. It is the Rabbit 120 Guinea Pig and Dwarf Rabbit Cage from Pets at Home. I am under the impression it may be too small even with a playpen or run constantly attached. If it is too small - what cages would be suitable?

Bye for now

.http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rabbit-hutches-and-runs/indoor-rabbit/rabbit-120-guinea-pig-and-dwarf-rabbit-cage

Hi and welcome :wave:

There isn't many cages suitable for rabbits really! They need lots of space so if you're keeping indoors then free range in a room is best if possible, there's lots of threads on bunny proofing a room in the housing section. My three have access to my full full flat but they have an XL dog crate in my bedroom as a base which is open all the time and are shut in the bedroom and hall while we're out. I suppose you could get a big pen and attach it to that cage permanently and use the cage as a base/litter tray. I don't think I'm up to date with the minimum housing recommendations for bunnies but I believe it used to be a 6ft X 2ft hutch with a 6ft X 4ft run attached or equivalent but i think it may be bigger now...

That cage really isn't suitable. It's the one my rabbit came in and I used it for about 48 hours whilst he was settling in but from then on it was just a base for litter tray and water bowl....now it's in the loft! I am pretty sure the RSPCA recommends 44 square foot as a minimum but more space is better. I know it can be overwhelming to hear at first, I know I felt very overwhelmed, but now I have my rabbit (soon to be rabbitS) free range in my living room and it's so much nicer and much easier to interact with them than if they were cooped up in a cage!

I think it would be ok as a base for litter tray/hay/hidey 'den' as long as they were never shut in it, but not as a permanent housing. I don't have house bunnies so I can't really advise on what would be best, but many people use cages like this as a little base and then have a large pen around it made from something like puppy panels or NIC cubes (I think that's what they're called). If you're lucky enough to have a spare room, some people give bunnies the whole room to themselves! Netherland dwarf bunnies may be small but they're very active so the size of the bunny doesn't necessarily dictate that they need less space. Somewhere on the forum there are some good photos and examples of suitable types of housing so it might be worth having a look out for those and see what might work for the space you have.

Have you decided where you're getting them from yet? You'll find that many people on here advocate rescues, as the bunnies you get from a decent rescue will be neutered, vaccinated and health checked and if you get a pair of adults you can be confident that they are well bonded and their personalities are known, something that you can't guarantee with babies. There are plenty of netherland dwarf bunnies in rescue and they haven't necessarily been neglected or badly treated - often it's simply a case that they were originally bought as children's pets and the children got bored very quickly.

Good luck - I look forward to hearing about your new bunnies when you get them :)

We got this cage initially for a guinea pig. Then, it was used for surgery recovery until the metal became too warped. Then, Athena used the base of it as a litter tray. Now, Athena and Apollo now have the base of it as a digging box.

When Athena was indoor, she used an XL dog crate as her home base, but had free range of all the living room and dining room. We moved her outside because Mum wanted her dining room back - and the rescue we got Apollo from rehomes outdoor only.

Hiya...

What everyone else has said, it's really wholly inappropriate for a rabbit and why it's sold as such, is appalling...

Bunnies need lots of space. The base is ideal for a litter tray or if door was removed, it could be used as a wee hidy house but sadly that's all it's good for....

Good to see you doing your homework first but please please don't put your bunnies in there...

Fee x

Back