• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How on earth do you ....

moosea

Young Bun
groom underneath your rabbits???

Dandylion is a lion head X Dwarf ( so the vet tells me!)

She has long fur around her face and around her bum.

Face is not a problem and I am 'allowed' to groom this area.

Bottom ... NOT allowed to groom! I have been trying to be patient and groom a little fur at a time but she seems to be no better. I am always super gentle and only do a little bit before moving to another area.

Any ideas on how to do this?

I know some people suggest turning them upside down - but I have heard that this is highly stressful for them and am not prepared to do this.

Unfortunately she got a bit of a messy bottom after some spring greens 2 days ago and while I have wiped / washed the mess off I want to be sure that she is perfectly clean.
I have got my miniature clippers out and am thinking that I could just shave that fur off - is this acceptable?

Yes, I would clip the fur off. At least it can't get dirty as easily and there's less risk of fly strike . I used to get one of mine regularly clipped as she wasn't an efficient groomer of her undercarriage, despite being of a healthy weight and not particularly long-coated, and would get some little matts down there in the dense belly fur near her lady bits. Far less stressful to clip every couple of months than to try to groom them out. Is there anyone else who could hold her for you?

I don't have anyone to hold her but I will enclose her in a smaller area and take my time and be more stubborn than she is .......

(Please refer to the post which I will make in 3 hours time, begging for a glass of wine and saying I've given up for today :lol:)

Back