• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What breed is my bun?

Hoppinbunny

New Kit
I got 2 rabbits a few weeks ago from pets at home, one is a Dutch the other was sold as a dwarf lop but his ears are very upright. Sometimes they lop individually but not both together. He's about 15 weeks. I don't have photo bucket so can't upload a photo here but I've put his picture as my avatar if you can see

I am not 100% sure on that, but I am kinda sure I heard many times that lops' ears drop after a while and isn't something they have from the start. so it could well be a dwarf lop still, but maybe someone else knows more and can give a better answer.

PAH sell a lot of Lop crossbreeds so he's could easily have a mix in him. They will lop more with age most likely. Monitor his health carefully - pet shop lops often don't have the best breeding so can suffer from ear, eye and dental problems.

A lot of PAH rabbits are cross breed, this is perhaps why one ear lops but the other doesn't. :love: Did you get 2 girls?

Thanks, I suspect he is cross bred. His ears are very close together more on the top of his head. I got a boy and a girl, they're currently separate until his neuter has worked but they are both incredibly snuggly.

Many pet rabbits will have problems same as other domesticated animals bred by humans because natural selection does not occur like in wild rabbits. Domestic rabbits with teeth problems do not die of starvation like in the wild and are bred from which results in these bad genes getting passed down. If you want a rabbit where natural selection has taken place and you won't get genetic defects the only place to go is in the wild...

Of course if you get adult rabbits from a rescue which have already got some history and you can be certain they have had their teeth checked could give people some idea and if you adopt a dental bunny you are given this information at the time.

I can't remember any rabbit I have had that hasn't had some kind of illness. They certainly are not the easiest of pets :shock:

I think your rabbits other ear will drop you don't very often get one up and one down although I think it's an especially cute look when they are at this in between floppy ear stage :love:

Rabbits are so quick to win your heart. P@H tend to sell cross breeds. If you bought a pedigree pure bred bun from a breeder you would pay a lot more for it. Sadly P@H are just out for making a quick buck (excuse the pun). It doesn't matter what you get they are all wonderful. Good luck.

Back