• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Long claws/vets+spay/aggression?

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Binkys 2 years old and she's unspayed (circumstances didn't allow) now they've changed and I've got both rabbits booked In - binkys being spayed next Tuesday (I'm so worried she's going to die :cry: )

She hates being handled and even trying to pick her up puts us 10 steps back in our 'bond'

She does NOT allow for claw clipping and they've got quite long, we try to wear them down
We've tried putting her in a blanket and nothing seems to be working

Pretty sure it's all hormonal behaviours and she's gone for me three times trying to clip her claws, I'm covered in scratches :lol:

I could ask the vets to do it whilst she's Under GA but I'm actually embarrassed to take her in there with her claws I don't want them to think badly of me for it if that makes sense - Bellas an angel with clippings and hers are nice and short

I'm lost as what to do does anyone have any advice?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I have a non handleable bunny too (my poorly girlie Frankie, she even has to be treated on the floor at the vets) and things like claws have been an awful hassle with her.

Have you tried taking Binky into a room she is unsure of? We put Frankie in the carrier, set up a pen so she can't leg it. I take her out through the top of the carrier and snuggle her under my cardigan while trying to hold a paw still while my OH dives in with the clippers and does as many as poss before she struggles and runs away. I think the change of room/scenery gives us a tiny bit of time where she is a bit nervous and allows us to do it, although it may take a couple of attempts over a couple of days to get each paw done. We do front first, then back.

I am sure the vet wouldn't mind, especially as they will see that you are managing Bellas ok and just need a bit of extra help with Binky xxx

Just tell them the truth: I'm sure they'll understand! Better than not saying anything and having it brought up :)

I have a non handleable bunny too (my poorly girlie Frankie, she even has to be treated on the floor at the vets) and things like claws have been an awful hassle with her.

Have you tried taking Binky into a room she is unsure of? We put Frankie in the carrier, set up a pen so she can't leg it. I take her out through the top of the carrier and snuggle her under my cardigan while trying to hold a paw still while my OH dives in with the clippers and does as many as poss before she struggles and runs away. I think the change of room/scenery gives us a tiny bit of time where she is a bit nervous and allows us to do it, although it may take a couple of attempts over a couple of days to get each paw done. We do front first, then back.

I am sure the vet wouldn't mind, especially as they will see that you are managing Bellas ok and just need a bit of extra help with Binky xxx

I have tried taking her into a room she's unsure of but then her curiosity takes over! :lol:
We've been trying to do them over a few days, I think my record in one sitting is 4 claws :lol:
Binky is booked in first then Bellas going in after binkys back to normal (hopefully, I'm very worried!) so they won't see them at the same time - I'm hoping Binky doesn't grief the vets up haha
Though after a car journey and the new place im hoping she will behave :roll:

Just tell them the truth: I'm sure they'll understand! Better than not saying anything and having it brought up :)

I will definitely tell them because they may have some techniques to calm her!...or I may just end up taking her there for claw clippings in future depending on how she behaves :lol:
I'm going to try over the course of the next few days literally just to try and clip the points off just so they aren't as sharp then hopefully whilst we're at the vets they can clip!
Very difficult trying to keep an un-bribable bunny still though haha, hopefully there's other ways that I'm yet to find out about!

I have tried taking her into a room she's unsure of but then her curiosity takes over! :lol:
We've been trying to do them over a few days, I think my record in one sitting is 4 claws :lol:
Binky is booked in first then Bellas going in after binkys back to normal (hopefully, I'm very worried!) so they won't see them at the same time - I'm hoping Binky doesn't grief the vets up haha
Though after a car journey and the new place im hoping she will behave :roll:

I will definitely tell them because they may have some techniques to calm her!...or I may just end up taking her there for claw clippings in future depending on how she behaves :lol:
I'm going to try over the course of the next few days literally just to try and clip the points off just so they aren't as sharp then hopefully whilst we're at the vets they can clip!
Very difficult trying to keep an un-bribable bunny still though haha, hopefully there's other ways that I'm yet to find out about!

Aah I see. Binky and Frankie sound very similar! I hope everything goes well with their spays xxx

Aah I see. Binky and Frankie sound very similar! I hope everything goes well with their spays xxx

Indeed! Thankyou, I'm hoping she will calm down after!
She will climb all over my lap but as soon as I try to hold her to clip her claws I'm a bad person! :lol: Xx

She will climb all over my lap but as soon as I try to hold her to clip her claws I'm a bad person! :lol: Xx
It's just the restraining thing, isn't it! Lopsy's the same: as soon as he feels he's not able to do what he wants, he struggles :)

It's just the restraining thing, isn't it! Lopsy's the same: as soon as he feels he's not able to do what he wants, he struggles :)

Yeah exactly that! We just managed to take the tips off her claws (took two of us, but I wasn't holding the clippers for a change!) and they're all an acceptable length now :lol: though I didn't let my mum go too close to the quick so the vets will be able to (hopefully) get them down more!

Do you pick her up for nail clipping? :) Fergie is an absolute nightmare to do too but we've found a method that doesn't involve picking up so he doesn't mind quite so much

I tend to catch/herd him into a carrier, take him in a room that smells like dog (very mean but he is good and quiet!) and then just sort of lift one foot at a time and do the nails with him still on the floor... I saw the vet do it that way and he doesn't struggle at all, he's miles happier with 3 feet on the floor and it saves getting kicked :lol: someone just holds him around the shoulders for me :)

Glad you managed to do them - I think the vets probably see a lot of long nails, rabbits are horrible to nail clip :)

Do you pick her up for nail clipping? :) Fergie is an absolute nightmare to do too but we've found a method that doesn't involve picking up so he doesn't mind quite so much

I tend to catch/herd him into a carrier, take him in a room that smells like dog (very mean but he is good and quiet!) and then just sort of lift one foot at a time and do the nails with him still on the floor... I saw the vet do it that way and he doesn't struggle at all, he's miles happier with 3 feet on the floor and it saves getting kicked :lol: someone just holds him around the shoulders for me :)

Glad you managed to do them - I think the vets probably see a lot of long nails, rabbits are horrible to nail clip :)

Yeah we do pick her up - I think the problem was I like to be the one doing the clipping because I know how much I want to take off but she feels most secure me holding her

Where she's hormonal when you go to pick up her front foot she will dig at you & try and nip, but I will definitely try that method 6 weeks after her spay when she's (hopefully) calmer

At least now they look neater and they know that we make the effort! Thanks x

Back