• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Taill ripped off!!! HELP!

thenamesJT

Mama Doe
I own 4 French lops, 3 of which were bonded. 2 of them have been escaping into the single buns area and have been getting on great! They've been living in the same area for a few weeks now, grooming each other etc so I made the decision to let them stay together.

I went out this morning to feed them all and found Mitchells tail on the ground! There was no other sign of a scuffle, it's like its just been pulled off!

Yes I am taking him to the vets but wondering if it'll grow back and if there is any problems that could arise from having no tail!

I've separated him from all the other buns until I get home this evening.

Not much to add but I was just wondering if they're all neutered or spayed?
Though things unfortunate as this can still occur in spayed & neutered buns too!
Hope he recovers quickly

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Oh my work....that sounds horrible I hope he heals quickly. it won't grow back if its the actual bone that has broken but i'm sure the fur will grow back and it won't be so noticeable.

Is it a de-gloving of the tail rather than the bone broken off? They should be able to remove any excess bone and re-stitch where the skin is viable. This happened to Pea and she just ended up with a very short but fluffy tail. Hope your little one makes a full recovery.

Oh dear it sounds like Mitchell has had a bad day! If it's just the fur that he's lost then that should grow back (it does take a long time to look fully fluffy though!). If it's damaged the bone then I guss that it will probably depend on how much is left and what can be salvaged! I hope he's feeling better soon! X

Back