• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny noises

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
Lopsy never makes definite noises I can hear. Aboleth does. She makes a sort-of sneezy 'puff' type noise, but Lopsy sneezes very occasionally and that's completely different: his head moves, a bit like when we sneeze. Aboleth's puff-noise is like a snort of derision :)lol:), no accompanying movements, blinking etc., just out of the blue, normal everything else. She also made a squeak when she was eating the other day: just nibbling some rose leaves, not moving about, and there was a tiny squeak like a really quiet and short whistle. With all the noises, she is otherwise normal :)

She'll be off to the vets for a checkup (and possibly nail clip, they're a bit long I think) with Lopsy when he has his vaccination in a week or so, so I will ask then: do you think it's anything to be worried about enough to take her before then though? I think she's just a bit vocal (classic woman ;P) but wanted some other opinions :)

My female bun will sometimes squeak when she gets carrot tops to eat as these are her favourite thing, but if she gets kale (which she also likes but not as much) I won't get any squeaking. You know your bunny so without hearing the sound it's difficult to say if its excitement or something else.

My bunnies are eating supper. Cabbage, celery, rose petal and hay forage and pellets. Heather is down there making a noise which sounds like her saying "Yum, yum, yum!" She's quite loud. She obviously loves all the goodies. The juicy cabbage is her favourite tonight.

I've heard the 'snort puff' you're talking about from Pip and Fiver...I think Mimzy did it too. That just seems to be bunnitude leaking out the nostrils, imo.
The squeaking, well, Fiver squeaks while drinking his water, bottle or bowl. He's been known to need dentals in the past, but not sure he needs one now. I can usually tell something's up if he gets water down the wrong tube, then that means he's shifting his tongue away from something pointy and it's time for a checkup. :)
But if you're concerned, best to check it-better safe....Hope all is well with Aboleth though. Awesome bunny name, btw. :D xxxx

Hope all is well with Aboleth though. Awesome bunny name, btw. :D xxxx
Thanks :) It was a bit of inspiration during D&D (although there's now a move by my mates to call Lopsy Beholder :roll: He's got too many eyes!)

Thanks for the advice everyone: we had a lot of puffing this morning when she was looking for all the celery (she LOVES celery to the exclusion of all else! Weirdo), three good puffs in a row, and some definite squeaking during strawberry time on the grass last night, so I think she probably is just vocal. I don't know if she's had any dental issues before: she's had major face surgery (eye removal) and she doesn't seem like an amazing hay eater but she loves her grass and she does eat hay (I expect when we're around we're bringing more exciting things so we don't see) because her poos are a good colour in the evening. I'll ask the vet to check her teeth over: she seems much more amenable to handling than Lopsy so should be possible!

My ruby is a noisy bunny. I have occasionally heard her do a little squeak, but she grunts a lot (kind of a mixture between a grunt and a short) especially if you are playing with her, she does it when she gets excited.

Back