• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone help me identify my rabbit's breed?

Mel94

New Kit
Hi everyone! :) Sorry if this is an annoyingly repetitive question on here, I've spent far too long searching through the lists of official breeds, so I thought it was time I'd ask some other bunny lovers for their opinions instead! :lol:

Would someone be able to help identify Thumper's breed for me? :) I'd really appreciate any help I could get! https://instagram.com/thumperstagram/ Here is a link with various pictures and videos to help you. He is 5 years old so he is fully grown. :) Thank you!

Hi Mel. Welcome to RU. I'm not great with breeds, he looks like a Netherland Dwarf X with ? :lol: Someone will be along soon with the correct information.

Looks like a Black Silver Marten X to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Marten_rabbit

I dont think he has any Rex in him, his coat is too long as are his whiskers. Rexes have very short curly whiskers !!

He's a lovely chap, whatever type he is :love:

Fair enough. My understanding of rexes was that the actual gene that creates the fur type is a recessive gene and so a bunny can be all Rex (or part Rex) but not actually show the characteristics associated with the Rex gene. Guess I was wrong.

Hi everyone, thank you for the replies! :D

@MummyBunnyEm - I've always kind of guessed that he was a Nethie but his bigger ears always made me kind of doubt! :)

@Jack's-Jane - Wow, he does look so much like the Silver Marten! I always thought Silver Marten was just a fur type because while I was looking around on breed websites, one of the Nethie pages listed the different variations of fur colours and the one I thought looked most like Thumper (but had smaller ears) was called the Silver Marten Netherland Dwarf. I'm not sure how much Thumper weighs, we had him checked over at the vets recently and they said his weight was healthy, but when we asked about his breed, they thought he was a Rex. All so confusing! :laugh: And thank you. :) He is such a little sweetheart, I love him no matter what breed he is, but of course, he has to be an awkward bunny and be difficult! :laugh:

@Sky-O - I had confusions about that too. I've been told he must have some Rex in him but when I looked up the Rex's traits (the velvet fur, short whiskers), I really didn't see Thumper in them. They also seem to be quite bigger than Thumper. Whenever I see Nethie pictures that have the same fur type as him, I see Thumper in them. One Nethie owner on Instagram, I actually thought their picture was Thumper! :laugh:

Is it possible for a Nethie to have bigger ears than usual? :)

Last edited:
Rex crosses can end up without the typical rex fur/curly whiskers. It depends on the genes that get passed on. So the shape could be from rex somewhere up the family tree :)

Rabbit breeds are so confusing! :lol: I've asked around on a few pet/rabbit forums and most people seem to think he has some Nethie in him but no one seems to be able to say for sure what he may be crossed with. I wish I could somehow find out what his parents were, I bought him from a cattery/boarding kennels that were advertising baby bunnies for sale (before I knew about adopt, don't buy.) I'm guessing 5 years later it's extremely unlikely they'd remember.

Back