• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone ever had a grid keratotomy procedure on your rabbits eyes?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Sorry to add another post.. But has anyone actually ever had their rabbit have a grid keratotomy procedure on their eyes?

I have been on google all night looking as Harvey is booked in for one tomorrow on both eyes.

Although I hear of lots of success in dogs, I can't find anything on rabbits which is really worrying me.

Harvey is 9 months old and had his ulcers for 3 months. He has been tested for dry eyes & his eyes seem fine.

Please, any help really appreciated. I really don't want to put him through it if there is no chance of this actually helping him xx

It's where they make tiny inserts into his eyes to try and encourage new growth to repair the ulcers. But I really don't know if this is likely to work. I have asked about causing a bad infection and I've been told there is risk but is limited.

Really don't know what to do.. Do I just continue with more topical drops and see how it goes? I'm scared this will make it worse? Xx

It's so tricky isn't it, I do really feel for you. It was one of the options discussed when my Heather was having problems with ulcers that weren't healing, and I had the same concerns as you that it would just make it worse. I would honestly discuss using some drops like the hyabak along with abx just for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference (you need to give the abx drops at least half an hour before the dry eye drops otherwise they will form a barrier and stop the abx from working). The dry eye test on bunnies is supposed to not be that effective depending on what type of dry eye they have - some types of dry eye where the malfunction is with the oil glands don't actually result in 'dry' eyes as such so the schirmer tear test can return a normal looking results. But the dry eye is because the protective oil layer which holds the water on the surface of the eye malfunctions so the tears aren't held on the eyes for long enough. As I understand it the tear test is more useful if the malfunction is with the actual tear production because clearly if there aren't enough tears being formed, then they won't absorb on the test.

It's such a tricky one and I really feel for you with such a decision. My instinct would be to try non-invasive techniques a bit longer before resorting to surgery, but none of us have a crystal ball so it's so hard to know what to do for the best. Hugs xx

I mentioned autologous serum treatment on your other thread. Has this been tried ?

I agree with Santa in thinking perhaps a bit longer trying non surgical treatments, but it's a tricky call.

I think our summer had this years ago. I'm trying to remember everything she had done. But if it was that it didn't work. But she was 9 years old at the time.

It's so tricky isn't it, I do really feel for you. It was one of the options discussed when my Heather was having problems with ulcers that weren't healing, and I had the same concerns as you that it would just make it worse. I would honestly discuss using some drops like the hyabak along with abx just for a couple of weeks and see if it makes any difference (you need to give the abx drops at least half an hour before the dry eye drops otherwise they will form a barrier and stop the abx from working). The dry eye test on bunnies is supposed to not be that effective depending on what type of dry eye they have - some types of dry eye where the malfunction is with the oil glands don't actually result in 'dry' eyes as such so the schirmer tear test can return a normal looking results. But the dry eye is because the protective oil layer which holds the water on the surface of the eye malfunctions so the tears aren't held on the eyes for long enough. As I understand it the tear test is more useful if the malfunction is with the actual tear production because clearly if there aren't enough tears being formed, then they won't absorb on the test.

It's such a tricky one and I really feel for you with such a decision. My instinct would be to try non-invasive techniques a bit longer before resorting to surgery, but none of us have a crystal ball so it's so hard to know what to do for the best. Hugs xx

Thank you so much, well the dry eye test was literally a bit of paper which absorbed his tears and passed a certain mark. So like you say not really a definitive answer.

It is suppose to be Neil Forbes doing it, but I'm going to still go in tomorrow and ask him about the hyabak as you request. The thing is the ulcers are relatively small in compared to his eye, perhaps about a quarter of the size.. Not huge but I know they are causing him some pain.

Just I have read don't do this procedure on stromal ulcers and from what I have read, his ulcers seem to fit this! So hense my biggest worry not to do this.

But honestly than you xxx

I mentioned autologous serum treatment on your other thread. Has this been tried ?

I agree with Santa in thinking perhaps a bit longer trying non surgical treatments, but it's a tricky call.

Hi Jane,

Thanks so much.. No it hasn't but it is also on my list to ask about tomorrow to see what they say! Xx

Back