• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trio's - how many litter trays?

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Beano and Gordon used to have two litter trays, one large underbed storage container and one smallish cat litter tray. Jake just had an underbed storage container. I just use newspaper and hay and change every other day but I'm now wondering how many litter trays I should give them... They will have full access to the flat while we're in (bedroom, hall, living room, kitchen) and while we're out/during the night perhaps I will close the living room door so they access to the bedroom and hall. In the bedroom there is an XL dog crate which is their base (never shut in of course). So I was thinking just leaving one large and one small one in the crate and another small one in the hall perhaps where Beano and Gordon use to live to sit and then another large one in the living room should be enough? How many litter trays do your trios have?

I think it would be best to "play it by ear" and start with 1 or 2, I only have pairs, some have just 1 and some have 2, but they all get cleaned out every day :)

My trio's have two litter trays, both in the lounge. one underbed storage & one massive handmade wooden box thing that is filled with megazorb & loads of hay. When I put litter trays in a different room too the poo seems to spread around the litter tray area. Their toilet habits have regressed a lot since two became three:evil:

Thank you for the replies! I could change to cleaning them out every day if I find they need it :) Sorry you're having issues joey&boo, I fear Jake may have issues in the bedroom as although I would say he is litter trained he finds a spot by himself and goes there not where the litter trays already are so we have to move them to where he's decided he goes! But I hope he'll just use them in the crate as I'd rather they all be in there in the bedroom.

My quad have a litter tray per rabbit plus one extra as to the (two) hares and Mottle and Peaches.

Back