• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

larger bunnies and food

sparklefairy

Wise Old Thumper
Is it normal for a large ish bunny of around 8-9 months of age to eat non stop?
How much should he be eating? The only experience of big buns I have is of storm, who was a french lop. The only time he ate non stop was when he was still growing. Is it possible that benny is still growing? :shock: I am not sure what kind of bunny he is.

This is Benny :love:

he also drinks more than any bun I have ever known. Is this normal for a big bunny?

*bump*

I don't know much, but I think it looks like he has some growing to do, judging by the size on those ears...

He could be a conti or conti cross?

He's lovely!

:love:

I reckon most bunnies would like to be eating non-stop! :lol::lol: I have a NZW and she gets a small amount of food, lots of hay. She is 4 and a half now and I know she would eat and eat. How much does your rabbit eat approximately? Once they have stopped growing they only need a small amount of food (apart from hay) for maintenance (according to Sandy Crook lady who wrote a book on Lop Rabbits and is quite knowledgeable). Obviously you don't want him to get overweight and once put on it isn't easy to take it off again I don't know how long you have had him but I have noticed some of the new bunnies drink an awful lot for a while then they become more normal drinkers.

He looks very very very very much like a conti to me! How much does he weigh?

In my experience Contis are very food orientated, so he might not grow out of it!

For comparison this was my Farore

DSCF3195_zps2160d360.jpg

She was small for a conti at around 4ish kgs. So she might have been a cross but both me and her foster mum (catherine09) think she was pure conti just a little one, she was very conti like in character!

I have only had him since Sunday. :D

He weighs just under 5kg but he is very long.

Aww farore looks beautiful :love: and very much like my benny:love:

I have only had him since Sunday. :D

He weighs just under 5kg but he is very long.

Aww farore looks beautiful :love: and very much like my benny:love:

At 8 months he will still have some growing to do, I really think you have a greedy guts conti there! :love:

Eeep :shock: I think I need to invest in some bigger bales of hay, not sure those little bags of posh hay are going to cut it ( plus I will need to sell a kidney or something ) :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

It's not so bad once he is grown up! Like all buns most of their food is hay, but yeah I was feeding baled hay when I had Farore so way cheaper than the bagged stuff... My 3 are on wilkos and b&m hay with some treat hays from zooplus now as the place I bought the bales from got really dusty :( it would have been much harder to buy enough hay for all 4 of them from a shop!

Yes. Bigger rabbits certainly put it away. My two belgian hares easily eat as much as the quad (all lionhead x).

Benny looks amazing. Hope they settle together.

I usually get hay from the hay experts, oxbow and alfalfa king timothy. Are hay for pets any good? Large bales are needed now:lol:

Aurora and benny are ignoring each other at the moment. Benny wants to be friends but aurora skips off. Benny is really respectful and doesn't chase her . I hope they make friends soon.

Back