• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meat bunnies

So,

My story begins with a visit to my boyfriend's parents house. When we got their my little niece who is two started asking to go see the "babeh buns". I asked if they had gotten a pet for her and my mother in law told me the neighbours (who farm their own meat each year; in the past wild turkey, quail, and pheasant) had chosen to farm rabbits this year.

I in the past have not gone to look at the animals he farms. I am a vegetarian and prefer not to expose myself to that kind of emotional upset.

But the little one begged me to go see them and my boyfriend said to just come see. So I went over with them into a tarp shed structure which had three metal crates about 2ft by 2ft by 2ft. Each had a large bunny. One with white fur and Grey tipped feet and ears and pink eyes, a big orange doe, and a absolutely huge brown buck.

We looked at the babies who were tiny at this point. 2 weeks and never touched. I picked one up as the mother tried to attack me and showed it to my niece who was ecstatic and immediately started saying "my bunny". I had decided I couldn't possibly take one. I have an aggressive cat who has tried to murder my rats, other cats, and a chihuahua in the past who has high medical needs due to seizures and arthritis.

The man, who other than the lackluster empathy he posses is quite nice, starts telling me about how he breeds and how big the get. I pick up particularly small bunny and he launched into how the runt is too small and he is going to kill it off. I see this going badly, but I ask anyways "how do you put them down". He proceeds to tell me he tries to do it humanely by freezing them in his huge freezer.

Working with animals in conservation settings has told me that the only animal that this is even moderately humane for is certain types of reptiles. A bunny would feel pain and fear as their organs slowly shut down.

I can't help myself. I ask how much he wants for it and he says it's free if I want to come get him in a month.

I go home an weigh the life of one bunny. A common, unthreatened species that holds no conservation value - only value as an individual. I don't like rabbits. I've met many rabbits. I respect them as creatures deserving of life but the friendly ones are sucky babies and the mean ones are nasty little things.

There is a reason I only have reptiles and an old grumpy cat.

So I research bunnies at leng th recognizing it is probably better to keep the poor soul in my house, but knowing there is no way to do so I start drawing plans for a bunny shed.

My friends come for dinner. "Why on earth are you getting a rabbit?", "where are you putting the bikes in your shed", "what about all the gardening stuff"

Then my one friend says, "I know if yiu take the little guy you'll never neglect him a nd he will be in good hands, but won't he be lonely by himself with just you". We start researching bonding and bunnies and everything more serious and my friends Tali and Beth agree to adopt one bunny each as well and sponsor them and assist in their care.

We book a vet appointment, and go to visit the 4 week old bunnies. The guy, despite me asking him to hold onto them for 8 weeks, says he is getting a unwanted litter to raise for extra meat and he isn't sure if they are healthy and he worries they might make our little ones sick. He is getting them in two weeks so he wants us to pick them up before they arrive. So we pick the bunnies that will survive out of a sea of baby bunnies who will face much sadder fates.

97220168387115677ef6a2b36b24a874.jpg

e0f416b8a4d2b9fd2f014a873fbe23a2.jpg

65a1814dbe16748e427ad9328863cf0f.jpg

These are them at 4 weeks.

So we spend the following weeks building a hutch and run.

a3fde9b2294a30c9e2a9aff1501ac287.jpg

2b76d730b9683cba0c5ddc9863c47e95.jpg

And at 6 weeks the never handled bunnies moved into our home. We took them to the vet for a check up and she was unsure of their gender. I have since sexed them as all female, bit yesterday they were 8 weeks and we are bringing them to the vet again to vet sexed. If she still can't figure it out we will seperate them until we find a vet who can. Since then they have gone from being scared of everything to being surprisingly friendly with my cat, playing and cuddling with us, not being afraid of dogs and rats, not being afraid of car rides, not being afraid of harnesses and leashes, looking at us when we say there names, and playing with various toys.

The runt cervantes:
aa8e956397b7382ee2f0e26b4a8e8e9f.jpg

The black bun, mariposa:
04aaf11e30dae77d8c593c41b2884dd6.jpg

Cervantes eating:
7df141f0dc8fcd7fd625b718491c2e02.jpg

Puck is big:

[I
b03273a5977e4fe605376c4153b4e7ec.jpg

Does anyone have an idea of their breed. They are each 6 weeks in the final photos. They are already pretty big.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not good on rabbit breeds so sorry I can't help you identify yours. If you don't get replies it might be worth changing your thread title, it may put people off.

This breeder needs reporting, his methods of "euthanasia" are disgusting . I'm pleased to hear that these big baby bunnies have got a chance now & I hope you grow to love them. They are very cute. I really wouldn't advise putting collars on your rabbits though & wonder why you've done this

At least these guys will have a chance of a life now....they are soooo lucky. What do you expect their weight to be when fully grown? If it's about 4kg then they look like beverens

Lovely bunnies. I agree, they do look like Beverens or New Zealands. They have that stocky shape. My New Zealand Red, Ginny, is that sort of shape. You have been very kind and will get lots of pleasure from these intelligent animals. I would say that I don't think you should put collars on them. Rabbits jaws are longer than a cats. If they get caught on something, they can't free themselves from a collar. I know from experience. Good luck with your new set up. Sadly there are millions of bunnies being bred for meat, usually because they grow fast and big.

I put collars on them in case they escape. They have my phone number engraved on the bell. They are kitten breakaway collars and are very easy to come off in case of getting caught. The only thing in their cage I was even a tiny bit worried about them getting caught on was their water bottles. If you think they need to come off I can remove them. I know rabbits have fragile bone structure. I was just worried about them getting lost, most people around where I live would never assume they were pets if they didn't have a collar.

I put collars on them in case they escape. They have my phone number engraved on the bell. They are kitten breakaway collars and are very easy to come off in case of getting caught. The only thing in their cage I was even a tiny bit worried about them getting caught on was their water bottles. If you think they need to come off I can remove them. I know rabbits have fragile bone structure. I was just worried about them getting lost, most people around where I live would never assume they were pets if they didn't have a collar.

It a microchip an option? Collars are really not a good idea for rabbits.

I also have had a week of solid 26-28 degrees celcius weather. I've been switching out three ice containers (large Tupperware full of ice) 3 times a day and they lay near or on them but still seem warm to my touch. They are babies so I'm very worried. I've read about wetting their ears but I'm not sure this would help very much if only done three times a day. Just worried. With ice bottles do yoy think it's still too hot? Should I move them inside while it's too warm (air conditioning)

You are doing really well. Bunnies naturally feel very warm to the touch. I use 2 litre either lemonade or plastic milk bottles with frozen water in them. I tend to wrap mine in towels so if bunny lays across them it takes the chill off. As they defrost the buns tend to unwrap them and give them the occasional lick. Bunnies like to lay in the shade and control their temperature through their long ears. They work like radiators and pump the blood up which in turn cools down and goes around the rest of their bodies. I'm sure your buns are just fine. As long as they have access to cool, clean drinking water, maybe in large porcelain bowls they'll be ok. Congratulations for caring so much.

What lovely bunnies!! Such a kind thing for you to do, taking them in. This man needs to be reported, that is disgusting!

It was horrible but most farms I've been to were just as bad so I feel like they wouldn't do anything. I might call the humane society, maybe they can upgrade their living conditions at least.

I find the whole meat thing too upsetting to go into. I'm glad you took on the ones you could. One thing I've found a great help in the hot weather are Techni Ice Sheets. Got them from camping place originally. You submerge in cold water when needed, squeeze so the air comes out and water goes in, then freeze. Wrap well in a pillow case or towel so buns can't bite into them and voila, something cool for bun to rest on for a several hours. They're very easy to store in a cupboard dried out after when not needed. http://www.kicks-store.co.uk/product/techni-ice™-dry-ice-pack-4-ply-reusable

Im very glad you've managed to take on these two and will care for them properly-lucky bunnies!

Stay with us on the forum,theres loads of info and stories and pictures!:thumb:
It would be lovely to hear more about these two as they grow up in their good home having come from such a dire one.

Good for you for rescuing them.. That man sounds horrific and definitely should be reported..

Keep posting lots of lovely pictures of your bunnies,

Working with animals in conservation settings has told me that the only animal that this is even moderately humane for is certain types of reptiles.

One of the worst methods of euthanasia for all reptiles, yikes to the fact that gem came from a person working with animals.:shock:

Actually if the reptile is under 1 pound in weight it can be valid as they will pass quicker than painful ice crystals can form in their tissues. Sadly it was the only method that was cost effective and not traumatizing to use to put down over 700 tiny baby turtles that were in horrible condition and would have died slowly in crates if not for being taken into custody by the organization I worked for. I also said moderately. It's a controversial topic. Where I work we euthanize reptiles by sedating them and then injecting a soloution of anastheic to the heart. I am also not a vet so I would not do this myself. I have never frozen reptile myself and if I had to put down any of my animals would take them to a registered specialized vet.

I was also only saying thisto illustrate that it is extremely inhumane for any mammal. Some of the people on this forum are extremely judgemental. Wow. [emoji45]
One of the worst methods of euthanasia for all reptiles, yikes to the fact that gem came from a person working with animals.:shock:

Last edited:
Actually if the reptile is under 1 pound in weight it can be valid as they will pass quicker than painful ice crystals can form in their tissues. Sadly it was the only method that was cost effective and not traumatizing to use to put down over 700 tiny baby turtles that were in horrible condition and would have died slowly in crates if not for being taken into custody by the organization I worked for. I also said moderately.

If a reptile was indeed too small for a vet to euthanise then a hard blow to the head resulting in complete destruction of the brain is the most instant method. Reptile brains are capable of functioning with very little oxygen so freezing is inhumane no matter what size the animal is.

Some of the people on this forum are extremely judgemental. Wow.

As a reptile enthusiast I'd prefer not to see a post advocating an out-dated method of euthanasia. Just because this isn't a reptile forum doesn't mean it's outwith the realms of possibility that someone will read and act upon it.

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-articles/freezing-reptiles/

Last edited:
Well the place I work certainly follows humane methods. Deep freeze and crushing was how the baby turtles died. I did not help and am not a vet so I didn't fully understando or realize that freezing was that harmful. I hope nobody would ever attempt to put down an animal themselves, but you're right it is irresponsible if a post could influence someone to cruelly put down their pet.

What matters here is the fact youve really gave these buns a shot at life...for that I thank you. :) Glad the collars are gone. I would reccomend microchipping for ID purposes. You seem to be doing a great job here. Keep posting xx

Just wondered from reading your post which country you are from? Am I being simple in thinking that the UK don't really have rabbit meat farms? Or maybe it's just down to where I live in the UK?

Back