• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a rabbit

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm not home at the moment so will post more when I am but I've found a pet rabbit in the middle of the road. It's so friendly that I really don't think it's been set free. Any advice would be great he's in my car now it's only a short drive home will post more when home

I brought him home, not sure if it was the right thing to do but the area I found him in is a big hill next to a school, tomorrow morning there will be lots of cars and kids on that road, there's also woods and I thought of foxes and things. He was sat in the middle of the road as I drove up the hill, I thought it was a cat so flashed my lights to try and see (because it wasn't moving and I couldn't work out why) and I saw it was a bunny. I pulled over and he ran up the hill a bit but really not that fast, more just moving around and I crouched down and held my hand out and he came over and let me pick him up. I was going to Willem's house at the time and I rung him and explained and he said I should have left it but I'm worried about him being hurt. I've brought him home and filled a pet carrier with newspaper and hay and covered it with a blanket and put it in my room where he's safe. I've posted on facebook because I live in a town where everyone knows each other and I thought if someone is missing a rabbit in the area then that might be a way to find its owners. He seems quite healthy and although he's not fat he's not bony or anything. I'm going to go back tomorrow morning and knock on doors on that road. What if he has been set free though? I really can't look after a bunny for long at all, he's quite a big bunny and he only just fits in the pet carrier he can't move around much but I just want him to be safe. I've just given him hay because I didn't know if pellets or veg might upset his tummy. Sorry for the long post I'm really quite worried I think I've just realized what I've done, what do I do if I can't find his owners?

I'm worried my parents are going to be really angry with me, if anyone has any advice or info it would be great I really am not sure what to do

I used to brings all sorts of animals I wasn't allowed to have home hahaha.But to be fair I also had allot, lol. Usually worked out

He keeps sneezing. What have I done? What if I've brought home a sick rabbit, and what if I can't find his owners/he was let loose deliberately. He's come out the pet carrier now and is running round my room.

Never mind my last post, it turns out I need to dust my room more :lol: :oops: He's charging round my room doing binkies and eating hay and seems a lot more relaxed

Oh no poor baby! Good thing you found him! I think posting on Facebook was a brilliant idea but if someone just let it go I don't know that they would come forward and say. I'm sure your parents will understand you temporarily tending to him so long as you tell them and mean that you aren't going to permanently keep him? Maybe check with local vets or the school in case they have had it reported or if it's a class pet??

You did the right thing in rescuing the poor rabbit. Contact local animal rescues and the RSPCA to see if anyone will take him.

You were absolutely right (and very kind) in rescuing him.
I wonder whether The Rabbit Crossing could help whilst you try to find the owner.

I'm just about to go back and knock on doors, he's just peed and it's quite orange am I right in thinking that means he's eaten a lot of carrots recently? Thank you for the replies :)

Well done for saving him Alicia :love: My bunnies get orange pee when they have had dandelions, it scared me to death when I first saw it, but it probably is something like that if he has been out roaming.

Have you tried ringing the local vets incase an owner has rung them to ask if anyone has handed bunny in? We have a vets near here who take in found pets while the local FB community posts messages to find the owner.

I've rung all the vets, I knocked on a few doors but I don't know where to start there's a huge housing estate around there and lots of little roads I'm going to go back and put posters up and knock on more doors

I went in a few schools in the area too because I thought he might be a child's pet, I've left posters at each one and one of the schools said she's email round all the parents which is great. My friend is on a few lost and found pages on facebook and has posted about him. I've been calling him Henry for the time being as I don't like calling him it/him all the time. I haven't put what he looks like on the poster or his gender (I'm not 100% sure he's a boy :lol: ) but he's come out of his shell quite a bit. The only place I can put him that is easy to clean for the time being is in the conservatory with a pet carrier and he's hopping about and eating everything that he shouldn't (like the sticker that is on the side of the pet carrier, I had to follow him round to get that off him) I thought I'd share a photo with you all, there's a wire in this photo that I have since moved so he can't get to it and please excuse the poos he's not very houseproud of his temporary abode :lol:

I'm just about to go back and knock on doors, he's just peed and it's quite orange am I right in thinking that means he's eaten a lot of carrots recently? Thank you for the replies :)

Or dandelions :wave:

Well done for rescuing him. Goodness knows what would have happened otherwise :shock:

What a handsome chap! He looks like a French Lop maybe? Do you know if there are any breeders in the area? They might know who bought him. Might be worth getting him scanned for a microchip too, you never know! He looks young though and doesn't look like he's been rampaging free for long!

Back