• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Getting Binky and Bella spayed

aaammmyyy

Mama Doe
Some of you may know I've got two 2 year old rabbits (sisters) Binky and Bella
They were together as babies and then Binky ended up plucking Bellas back so they were separated
My parents originally didn't want them spayed originally they didn't see the benefits
I'm finally at a point where I can get them spayed (better late than never!)
I've found a vets that was recommended to me by both JacksJane and MightyMax and they've both personally used it so I'm happy I've got a rabbit savvy vet

But I need some advice (never had a pet had surgery before!)

Will the old hamster bin cage be okay to take them/pick them up with? I've taken them to the vets before in it - it's a good size but they have to be lifted out - if not can borrow a cat carrier

How do you lift them to check the wound? Binky isn't a very hands on rabbit so I'm worried about that - Bella will do anything for food.

How long do they have to stay indoors for? They'll be in an old run that's 4ft by 4ft on blankets hope this is also okay :lol:

Is the wound stitched then glued because I'm so worried they'll bite it open (Overall I'm very worried lol!)

Is pellets, hay and leafy greens enough bribes? They don't really have treats

What's the odds of them re-bonding considering they've fought before?
This was back at the end of 2013
I'm going to get Binky done let her recover then get Bella done and wait six weeks, I think by This time I'll have started college though so it might have to be the Christmas holidays to bond

I'm so nervous my best furry friends are going to die :( I don't know if I'm actually going to be able to take them or if I'm going to have to wait in the car or at home because my anxiety is awful and it's 20minutes away, and knowing what I'm taking them to - though I will obviously try because they'll be so much more confident with me there, the things we can do for our animals!
I know I'm doing the best thing for them and I've always wanted to do this, I've just only now got into a position where it's possible!

If you got this far well done!x

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Some of you may know I've got two 2 year old rabbits (sisters) Binky and Bella
They were together as babies and then Binky ended up plucking Bellas back so they were separated
My parents originally didn't want them spayed originally they didn't see the benefits
I'm finally at a point where I can get them spayed (better late than never!)
I've found a vets that was recommended to me by both JacksJane and MightyMax and they've both personally used it so I'm happy I've got a rabbit savvy vet

But I need some advice (never had a pet had surgery before!)

Well done for getting to this stage :thumb:

Will the old hamster bin cage be okay to take them/pick them up with? I've taken them to the vets before in it - it's a good size but they have to be lifted out - if not can borrow a cat carrier

I think I'd be inclined to borrow a cat carrier, then you can coax them in with pellets. Especially if you can get them accustomed to going in it before the event :thumb:

How do you lift them to check the wound? Binky isn't a very hands on rabbit so I'm worried about that - Bella will do anything for food.

When I had my girls spayed, I fed them some leaves so that they had to reach up against the side of the run, and then I could see the wound easily without handling them

How long do they have to stay indoors for? They'll be in an old run that's 4ft by 4ft on blankets hope this is also okay :lol:

I think my girls were inside for about a week

Is the wound stitched then glued because I'm so worried they'll bite it open (Overall I'm very worried lol!)

thats what my vet did

Is pellets, hay and leafy greens enough bribes? They don't really have treats

I used fenugreek crunchies, herbs, hand picked grass and forage and also readigrass for my two. But I wouldn't introduce anything new during recovery

What's the odds of them re-bonding considering they've fought before?
This was back at the end of 2013 not sure but as it was a long time ago hopefully that will help
I'm going to get Binky done let her recover then get Bella done and wait six weeks, I think by This time I'll have started college though so it might have to be the Christmas holidays to bond
Best to have a time when you can spend 24hrs a day with them for several days/week, best not to rush it

I'm so nervous my best furry friends are going to die :( I don't know if I'm actually going to be able to take them or if I'm going to have to wait in the car or at home because my anxiety is awful and it's 20minutes away, and knowing what I'm taking them to - though I will obviously try because they'll be so much more confident with me there, the things we can do for our animals!

It's very rare to lose them during or after the op, the vet will check them over for any health issues. they are much more at risk if they are left unspayed.
I know I'm doing the best thing for them and I've always wanted to do this, I've just only now got into a position where it's possible!

If you got this far well done!x

Good luck :thumb:

Is there anyway to keep a rabbit outdoors after a spay? I know they should stay indoors and stuff but my mum doesn't want them indoors :roll: unless I can get the vet to talk her into it...
But she "doesn't know anyone who has a rabbit indoors after surgery" and "they can regulate their temperature just fine in this weather" :roll:

Just in case she can't stay indoors - how can I keep her outside?
I'll try - hopefully seeing them after the surgery will make her realise they belong indoors for a few days

It's really only in the winter when it isn't advisable to put the bunny back outside straight after her op. As long as you clean her hutch very thoroughly, I always wash mine out and let it dry, then there shouldn;t be a problem. She will probably like to be in her own territory anyway. As long as she has a 2 day check post spay she should be ok without being handled especially if she doesn't like being picked up.

It's really only in the winter when it isn't advisable to put the bunny back outside straight after her op. As long as you clean her hutch very thoroughly, I always wash mine out and let it dry, then there shouldn;t be a problem. She will probably like to be in her own territory anyway. As long as she has a 2 day check post spay she should be ok without being handled especially if she doesn't like being picked up.

Ahh okay Thankyou! She lives in a playhouse so I'll take away plant pots and stuff she has to jump to get in, do you think I should open the run up inside her playhouse so she's restricted to a 4ft x 4ft space?
I'll give her some of the blankets she has in winter too to make the floor feel softer lol

Back