• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I mollycoddling my bunnies too much?

FredW

Alpha Buck
Hi,
I've got a question... though no doubt I am not the only one here doing it, but I am wondering if I mollycoddle my two buns too much.
I have just bought them a lovely new pen, that Daniel from Boyles Pet Housing build for me, well it's not that I just bought it, been in the making for 12 weeks or so, but just had final things done to it and it is on it's way to me next week, yay, should be here Thursday. I am having them boarded for a few days next week, with the lady who I got Fluffy from, she closed the rescue, but still does holiday boarding, so I know at least my two are going to be ok, since they were both there before and came home all happy.

anyhow... now to my question. I asked about flooring before, so it's not really about it too much, but here is the thing. The flooring is timber with lino covering, to protect it, the shelves and tunnel is timber, you can see final version here: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...er-excited-)&p=6631268&viewfull=1#post6631268
I am planning on covering the whole floor, shelf, hideout box and even the top of the tunnel with nonslip vetfleece. this is because both my babies have been indoor bunnies all their life and only really used to walking on carpet and fabrics, like blankets etc. I know both cant walk on our kitchen tiles, and while Bunbuns can get on her Wooden House from The Hay Expert, she doesn't get a stable grip, so when she jumps down it's a bit slippery. Granted it's quite polished, but I still put vetfleece on top again.
I just wonder if it is silly of me to keep covering everything with carpet or vetfleece all the time, or if they will get use to the different surface very fast and be ok with it? I don't want to have them hurt themselves, so I am always taking extra precaution, but just wonder if I go over the top and should give them more credit?
it's not the cost of the fleece I am worried about or the extra work, but more also from a hygiene part. Of course lino flooring and timber guild tops will be easier and better to keep clean, and while the vetfleece can be washed, already got enough to do two sets of pen interiors, I just wonder if it is really in their best interest to do it, or would it be better to have something that can be kept clean a lot lot easier, but that would mean they would need to get used to walking on it for a while.
of course the snuggle shelf and the hideout box were always meant to have the fleece covering the flooring since it's for their comfort, but just wondering mainly about tunnel top and inside, main floor, and feeding/toilet shelf.

hope that all made sense. just don't know if it is best to keep them always just walking on carpet, or if different textures to walk on, fleece, carpet, timber and lino would actually be better?

I don't think you are mollycoddling them too much. They are your buns and you love them and know what's best for them. If it was me I would want the floor to be soft too. Molly has a king size duvet on the floor in her room to protect her sore feet.:D. If that's not mollycoddling I don't know what is!:lol:

yeah that's exactly it, I want it as comfortable as possible for them. I love them so much and knowing they have such short lives really means I will do all I can and more to make those years the best I possible can for them. I love the idea of the duvet, mine got cushions and pillows all over the place to lay on and stuff and they love it, never even thought of a duvet yet :)

No you aren't mollycoddling them.Its natural to want them to be comfortable.Everyone is different and everybun is different(what makes them such interesting pets)and we all have different set ups.You know your buns best and what they would like.As you have enough fleece for two coverings,hygiene wise its no problem,assuming they use a litter tray.My buns new playhouse/run set up will have a fleece floor in the playhouse.

very true, I guess no point making them learn something new, as in walk on a surface they don't like, when they don't have to. And yeah, both are litter trained, Fluffy wasn't when we first got him, and in the beginning we had many accidents, but he started copying Bunbuns and no more accidents. he'll even go in his pen when he is having proper fun outside his run, binky around etc, when he notices he needs to go, off in his run, toilet, bit of hay while he's at it, and off he is again. so yeah I guess it can all be washed and as long as it's better for them, I wont worry about mollycoddling them anymore and just keep doing exactly what I have done all along :)

Rather than using Vetfleece all over why not use some stable matting and just have the fleece in the areas the Rabbits mostly rest in. Stable matting can be cleaned easily, provides good traction (non slip) and it would be more hygienic

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_o...able.TRS0&_nkw=stable+rubber+matting&_sacat=0

The initial outlay may be more expensive, but in the long term you'd save on not having to do so many machine washes of the Vetfleece.

No you aren't mollycoddling them.Its natural to want them to be comfortable.Everyone is different and everybun is different(what makes them such interesting pets)and we all have different set ups.You know your buns best and what they would like.As you have enough fleece for two coverings,hygiene wise its no problem,assuming they use a litter tray.My buns new playhouse/run set up will have a fleece floor in the playhouse.

I agree with Hoppety :thumb: You know your buns better than anyone!

Back