• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Does she has gas?

Dina363

Young Bun
hello everyone

i have a question.
my 3 year old rabbit has last 3 days round belly. she was spayed 1 month ago and everything was fine.
i feed her with meadow hay, 2 tablespoons Supreme science selective rabbit food per day (i started giving her that food on 22.6.15. and there was no problem before), she also get veggies but not everyday.
i give her Oxbow Digestive Support once a day. She eats her food and treats normaly, drink, move, and poop normaly ( i found some bigger oval poop but not much).
i'm massaging her tummy several times a day. now i don't know if she has gas or not.
her behavior is also normal she was allways lazy bunn and a little bit fat.
can be food cause of problems even if she was fine at the beginning?

how can i help her?

thank you

Love

D & Nana

Last edited:
If you think there is something wrong, my instinct would be to get her looked at by your vet. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. Give them a ring and ask them what they think, and if she needs to be seen.

Otherwise, if you think she is putting on weight, there should be a record of how much she weight from the spay and you could just get her checked over and weighted again at the same time, then make some adjustments to her diet / exercise if needed.

Sorry if it's not much help, but if you know your rabbit and your instinct is that something is wrong, it probably is. Better being seen now than leaving it.

hello everyone

i have a question.
my 3 year old rabbit has last 3 days round belly. she was spayed 1 month ago and everything was fine.
i feed her with meadow hay, 2 tablespoons Supreme science selective rabbit food per day (i started giving her that food on 22.6.15. and there was no problem before), she also get veggies but not everyday.
i give her Oxbow Digestive Support once a day. She eats her food and treats normaly, drink, move, and poop normaly ( i found some bigger oval poop but not much).
i'm massaging her tummy several times a day. now i don't know if she has gas or not.
her behavior is also normal she was allways lazy bunn and a little bit fat.
can be food cause of problems even if she was fine at the beginning?

how can i help her?

thank you

Love

D & Nana

Is she hopping around as usual? Can you get her to take some more exercise and see if she is happy with that? A rabbit with gas or bloat will not want to do that ... If her eating, drinking and pooping habits are just the same, then I wouldn't worry too much. Just get her doing some exercise and perhaps cut down on the pellets a little bit day by day and add more hay or varieties of hay or readigrass?

yes she i active normaly, she sleeps through the day and at night she starts playing, if i lie down on the floor she is with me very quickly and give me her special dance for treats.
are there any herbs that can help with gas?

thank you for youre replys

Love

D& Nana

yes she i active normaly, she sleeps through the day and at night she starts playing, if i lie down on the floor she is with me very quickly and give me her special dance for treats.
are there any herbs that can help with gas?

thank you for youre replys

Love

D& Nana

I would say fennel and mint, if you think she has gas ... We also give simethicone (Infacol) for suspected gas. I don't know if you've come across that before?

If you think there is something wrong, my instinct would be to get her looked at by your vet. Rabbits can go downhill very quickly. Give them a ring and ask them what they think, and if she needs to be seen.

I agree with Shimmer's advice. Also, you mention that she has passed some large oval fecal poos. Did the ever occur before her spay ?

If you feel along the spay scar is it at all lumpy or is there any lumpiness around it ?

she had sam oval poop before but not much. I watched her and she is normal self, just the belly ist round. my vet is not working over the weekend so i'm going to call her on monday, but if she gets worse i'll take her to the emergency. i will ask the vet about simethicone if i can give her baby drops and i will buy some probiotic. we are together almost 24/7, she is my roommate :) so i keep close eye on her .

thanks for replys

Love

D & Nana

she had sam oval poop before but not much. I watched her and she is normal self, just the belly ist round. my vet is not working over the weekend so i'm going to call her on monday, but if she gets worse i'll take her to the emergency. i will ask the vet about simethicone if i can give her baby drops and i will buy some probiotic. we are together almost 24/7, she is my roommate :) so i keep close eye on her .

thanks for replys

Love

D & Nana

Most vets agree that probiotics are useless for rabbits because of their stomach acid.

You can buy simethicone over the counter at a chemist - give 1ml at a time.

Hope she is OK over the weekend :thumb:

Back