• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Scab on emrys' neck

Espeada

Young Bun
Just found this on him this evening, it looks quite nasty, looks like something has tried to grab him or something but I don't know anything that could have.
Is there anything I should do or just keep an eye on it?

da6d0a435f9eb9991f74b31cf5b392a4.jpg

20ed24031b7ef6b2b894ef29eb4788d8.jpg

a2652446aa0bf5dd98ee106d0305d6b1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Emrys recently had his vaccination at the vets? Or perhaps a painkilling injection or antibiotic injection within the last few weeks?

It does look a bit sore .....

He was neutered about 3 weeks ago so had a painkilling injection then but as far as I remember tonight is the first time I've felt anything there? I don't know. He was reluctant to let me look at it so imagine it is quite sore for him :(

He was neutered about 3 weeks ago so had a painkilling injection then but as far as I remember tonight is the first time I've felt anything there? I don't know. He was reluctant to let me look at it so imagine it is quite sore for him :(

It looks like 'Baytril Burn' to me. A skin reaction to an injection of an antibiotic called Baytril. He may have had this when neutered and the reaction can develope over several weeks and in some cases it can become quite nasty. From looking at a photo it is impossible to be certain that there is no infection going on, in extreme (and relatively rare) cases a sterile abscess can form. So I would ask the Vet to take a look just to be on the safe side. It may be fine, healing and need no treatment. Generally speaking Baytril Burn will resolve, but it can take a few weeks for full healing and fur regrowth to occur.
Precautions that can be taken to try to minimise the risk of Baytril Burn are to use a new needle to inject from the one used to draw up the dose. To make sure the injection is given fully subcutaneously and not intradermally and to massage the injection site for a couple of minutes after administering the dose to insure the dose does not pool under the skin.

Ah poor lad :cry:

In that case I would think it's likely to be the Baytril injection which caused it. Sometimes Baytril can 'burn' the skin and make it sore where the needle enters.

Very occasionally what's known as a 'sterile abscess' can develop at the site, but I would have thought if it was going to happen, it would have by now.

If you have any aloe vera or calendula cream, I would apply that. Otherwise leave it unless he it worrying at it (scratching it)

Back