• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

DONT FORGET!!!! Its THIS SUNDAY 23rd Aug Gardening for Rabbits: Day course

parsnipbun

Wise Old Thumper
Well after a long delay . . .

Gardening for Rabbits is launched as a 'Day Meeting/Course' :

Same sort of thing as Foraging for Rabbits . . except all about gardens and garden plants (notable not the weeds - as they were covered in Foraging lol!)

Venue Orchard Cottage, 17 Denton Village, Cambs (Near Stilton/Oundle)

Times: 10.30 am till we get fed up and have eaten everything Steve makes for us!! (sometime after 4.30pm)

Food: all food provided (all veggie!) most home made - all yummy

TOPICS that will be covered:

What do you want out of a 'rabbity' garden?

What does your rabbit want out of it?

How to design a rabbity garden; - where to put the living accommodation (yours and theirs)

the question of fences - which sort are best?

What plants are edible and which aren't;

What plants are poisonous?

plants for shade and sun;

Are any plants pretty, edible but will not be eaten by free ranging rabbits? (answer - no)

Useful books etc.

There will be a 'hands on' of plants both from here and also if we are missing any essentials - I will buy some in from the garden centre /nursery near by so you all get to look.

Also handouts of garden plant pictures and lists of names

How to plant for all Seasons (yes there IS winter planting!!)

The role of fruit trees in a bun's garden (and tum)

Growing your own hay patch

To mow or not to mow . . . and how (what about the scythe?)

ALSO . . . at lunchtime we can have a 'bring your weeds for identification' session!!!

WOW we will cover a LOT!!!!!

NOW BOOKING 23rd August 2015

Paypal twigsway@me.com and you will receive the programme and further details in the next day or two by e-mail. Please include real name, RU name and email that can take attachments in your paypal message. PS we are 'friends' here so please try and avoid paypal charging me for this!!!

Fee for the day as before £35 includes all food, refreshments etc!

Lifts can be arranged . . . Parking now available for everyone that needs.

PPS The new hay harvest is coming off the field as I speak - so lots of NEW hay as well!!!!

Last edited:
Oooh yes - and I will look at ideas for planting out of bunnies reach . . .in the case of wildies that will be about 12 foot up!

Last edited:
Sounds amazing, I'd definitely be up for that! I don't tend to plan that far in advance so I can probably do any of those at the moment. I know there's another outing I'm trying to schedule at around the same time but hopefully they won't end up clashing :)

Brilliant - just need a few more and we can sort dates.

I am not on facebook anymore (facebook queried my name!!!????) so need help spreading the word!!

Am about to go to Lake District for 5 days (YEAAAAAAHHH) so hopefully can email some of the people who came to the Foraging events today before we go off - and should be able to have it all sorted by time I get back.

I think I can only do 23rd August of those. Would be interested if it happens to end up being that day, though I don't have much garden to speak of!
This has made me realise I need to become less busy.

Seven people so far and looks like the best date is the 23rd . . . unless I have missed someone who cant do that date . . .

HOLD the 23rd everyone!

Such a shame that you can't "go on tour" as I would love to do this course and the previous foraging one you ran but being in Cornwall it's just too far to travel. On the other hand if you felt you could "go on tour" I'm sure I could convince my dad to let you have run of his farm for the foraging course ;)

Oooh, exciting! We'll give this one a miss: we're good for gardeny stuff XD Let someone else have a chance :mrgreen: And, if you didn't go on the forage days and are in two minds whether the journey'll be worth it (sensible distances anyway), GO! It's BRILLIANT :D

With the fencing question, I'd just like to remind everyone about leaving holes in their fences for hedgehogs: enclosed gardens are one of the (many) main reasons hedgehogs starve :)

Hi Everyone!!!

I am back from a wonderful relaxing and strenuous 5 days in the lake District!! (courtesy of the wonderful Talya who pet sat!!! and house sat . . . and cake sat).

So the 23rd August it is!!

Same format as before foraging - so start at 10.30 - with tea etc - meaning everyone has time to get here. Finish at about 4.30 or when we have eaten everything and learnt something!

The day will include both design elements (for most sizes of garden even very small) AND garden plants and shrubs/trees and also at special request a free for all question and answer on forage plants that people have had queries on since the forage days.

I will send out a programme and details as I get your payments in so when you pay PLEASE remember to give me your real name, your RU name AND an email address that accepts attachments!!.

Payment is £35 to include all food and handouts -

Payment by Paypal to twigsway@me.com

Hay bales (just off the field now 1st cut and nice and green) can be purchased on the day.

Looking forward to it!!!!!

twigs

PS as I am now off facebook apart from PPP's 'page' pass the word round please!

I've booked!

Happy to give lifts from Peterborough station but I am sure twigs will organise by email closer to the time

Back