• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

water bottle problem

tinyjupiter

New Kit
There seems to be a yellow substance (mold?) growing in my rabbits' water bottle. I cleaned it out after noticing using soap and water. The water bottle has been around for a while (say at least 3 years?). Is it time to change the water bottle?

Rabbit water bottles are very cheap, definitely get a new one. Or you might like to try a bowl of water instead. A heavy ceramic dog bowl is perfect and much easier to keep clean.

Yes, I do think water bottles need to replaced fairly regularly. As well as what you can see in the bottle itself, the spout is potentially a breeding ground for mould and bacteria.

Bottles can be cleaned with a little water and a teaspoon of rice, with a long shake (about a minute). I clean spouts with pipecleaners.

You can get bottle brushes that make cleaning the inside easier. It's worse in summer, the extra light tends to encourage algae growth.

I find the heavy ceramic bowl is a much better option - easier to clean and to change the water and I think bunnies get much more water intake with a bowl instead of a water bottle. Just personal choice! :wave:

You can get bottle brushes that make cleaning the inside easier. It's worse in summer, the extra light tends to encourage algae growth.

Yes I use water bottles for my boarding guinea pigs, and I use those swirly bottle brushes every day on them.

Back