• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oh dear, 111 rabbits!

doorkeeper

Mama Doe
It is so hard to say no! And two more are coming tomorrow! And there is another I have promised to take. That will be 24 we have taken in this year. Time to bolt the doors until next year:( And do lots more bonding. We only have 40 proper places, the only reason we can hold so many rabbits is that for some reason they seem to be getting on better this year. We now have 18 trios and 2 quads. And that needs to rise to take in the new arrivals. Let's hope the rabbits remain co-operative!

Oh dear - sending co-operative vibes. What a sad state of affairs isn't it. I noticed our local PAH at a lot of bunnies for sale :cry:

I can't help worrying about the numbers because we were down to 'just' 92 last year which took a lot of willpower to achieve, and made getting everything done in the winter just about doable. I have to remind myself that this is the same number of groups so I will manage this winter. And we do have fewer guinea pigs this year, which helps a bit.

I find it horrific that you have to have 111 rabbits, and that P@H have plenty for sale. Horrific. Its wonderful that you do it (are you the RSPCA?), but horrific that its needed.

We need to get the government to formulate a national rabbit strategy.
I suggest a campaign of public information (Nationally, there are more rabbits than there are people to care for them properly. The kind of care rabbits need. And...)
Rabbit Registration Day. Everyone with care of rabbits should on a particular day, register their charges. Name, description, and neuter-status. Register online, at designated vets/pet shops, or by letter. No excuses. A Rabbit Census.
Rabbit Keepers Licences thereafter issued, for the rabbits you have on that day and no others.
A total ban on buying and selling of, or breeding rabbits and importing of rabbits. Even show rabbits. For a year.
Thereafter, Rabbit Breeders Licences to be available, for a high fee, after mandatory training.
Meanwhile Rabbit Keepers training to be available, at your own expense.
Legislation that people are not to acquire rabbits without first being trained in their care.
Rabbit sales/change of ownership to be allowed, between accredited persons (ie, those who have taken training and can prove it).
Tax on rabbit sales and exchanges. This system has to fund itself. So taxes on showing, too, and on breeding.
Fines for anyone keeping, breeding, exchanging, purchasing a rabbit without the requisite training.
Rabbits to become rare, but well-cared-for pets/companions.

Is it wishful thinking Happybun? How about introducing a contraceptive in the food? Then there would soon be no rabbits at all!

It's sad that you have to have that many, but your place must be amazing to be capable of housing that many! I love looking at rabbit accommodation, especially on such a large scale like that. I've always thought it would be cool when I have more land to take in lots of homeless rabbits and have a 1/2 acre enclosure for them all to live in (maybe wishful thinking but I'm thinking fighting wouldn't be so bad in a large space with neutered rabbits) but the only problem is how ridiculously expensive rabbit vet bills can be (especially the dreaded dental problems). They might be healthier in a large natural space with mainly grass and forage to eat but that wouldn't completely change genetics, the smushed faces of lops and nethies, etc.

Still, I reckon I'll try it one day, starting with about 10 and seeing how things go. I love the work good rescues and sanctuaries like you put in and would love to be able to do my bit as well! :love: In fact in the nearer future I might use for homeless rabbits some of the multiple chain link dog kennels I plan on setting up.

I guess you'd be all for martial law being established too, happybun? Just think, with the military controlling everything there would probably be way less crime occurring! Of course that would also mean we'd have no freedom, but what does that matter if things would be better overall? Maybe contraceptives could also be secretly planted in our food so orphanages wouldn't be full of poor little kids that just want a family.

It's sad that there's so many homeless rabbits and guinea pigs and not enough space in rescues to take them all, but changes need to be made in other ways. Even if those laws could be enforced, enforcing laws doesn't change the attitude that pets are disposable and that research isn't required. You can't force people to change. The softly, softly approach takes longer but it's more effective and permanent than laws will ever be. Plus you have to think of what people have learned about rabbits and continue to learn. Even in just the last 10 years there's been tons of advances, including medically. Your laws would take that all away.

Is it wishful thinking Happybun? How about introducing a contraceptive in the food?
Can we do it for people instead? ;P And then have a process where it can be reversed if you go to the GP? So the opposite of how it is now :twisted: </hijacking>

Is it wishful thinking Happybun? How about introducing a contraceptive in the food? Then there would soon be no rabbits at all!

I don't want to rid the world of rabbits, tonibun! But a contraceptive in rabbit food is a really good idea... I want all animal-keeping to be well-regulated, and people's expectations to be much higher than they are today.

I guess you'd be all for martial law being established too, happybun? Just think, with the military controlling everything there would probably be way less crime occurring! Of course that would also mean we'd have no freedom, but what does that matter if things would be better overall? Maybe contraceptives could also be secretly planted in our food so orphanages wouldn't be full of poor little kids that just want a family.

I'm surprised you're not all for it! It makes sense, if you want animals to have the best possible care. People need to stop pussyfooting about. Hints don't help, real action needs to be taken.

Last edited:
Rabbit Residence has 200 at the moment :( really wants to take less in but keeps getting calls to take in larger numbers. There are over 50 rabbits they have now which are "permanent" due to expensive health problems and temperament issues. They never wanted to be a sanctuary but due to bad breeding, bad genetics and people misunderstanding rabbits, some just can't be rehomed. So frustrating and stressful!

Something needs to be done but for every one person you manage to educate, 10 more are going to breeders or pet shops and buying babies.

111 ... I find eight quite hard work. So sad that there are such huge numbers in rescues and so so so many 'unwanted' ones. I wish Happybun's plan could come into force for all animal keepers and people wanting children.

I don't want to rid the world of rabbits, tonibun! But a contraceptive in rabbit food is a really good idea... I want all animal-keeping to be well-regulated, and people's expectations to be much higher than they are today.

I'm surprised you're not all for it! It makes sense, if you want animals to have the best possible care. People need to stop pussyfooting about. Hints don't help, real action needs to be taken.

Is that sarcasm? :lol:

Real action means doing something about it, it doesn't just mean making laws. People can't even enforce the animal welfare laws we already have, much less new ones that would take a lot of policing. Anyway, it doesn't make sense. Why should people have to miss out on the joys of rabbits just because of some stupid people that can't be responsible rabbit owners?

No, I'm not sarcastic, William!
Not having succeeded with welfare laws so far is no reason to give in now.

No, I'm not sarcastic, William!
Not having succeeded with welfare laws so far is no reason to give in now.

Oh well I thought you were being sarcastic since I figured you'd heard my stance on animal laws a lot before.
I agree, but not drastic laws like this. Reasonable ones, yes, but treating rabbit owners like criminals on parole or something? No.

Better laws might make some difference, but I am not particularly hopeful. Campaigning is not where my skills lie. I am at my best hands on with the animals. I can't bear seeing animals in small spaces and even hate that they have to be in at night because of the foxes so our hutches all exceed the minimum so they have room to move during those long winter nights. And every set up has a lovely big run for the day time except for the two for rabbits with problems meaning they have to stay dry, but those sheds are 10ft by 6ft so they have plenty of room to move anyway.

The two new girls arrived today. They have come from the Blue Cross because they are so extremely nervous and are also rather talented escapologists. Now I have seen them I suspect that they are wild despite being white. The body shape is that of a wildie as is the behaviour and they were brought in through a cat flap be someone's cat. Being white must be a distinct disadvantage for a wild rabbit. I have set them up with a couple of foster dads to keep them company and to calm them down and make them feel at home. The boys are rex crosses and really good natured so I think they are perfect for the job. They are lively enough to cope with the girls but confident and friendly to set them a good example. I have had good success with bonding new arrivals straight away taking advantage of their stress from the journey to make them want comfort instead of a fight. Here's hoping that tomorrow they are all loved up....or at least comfortable with each other.

Funny how we all do things differently. I always give bunnies time to settle for a few weeks before bonding. Gives me time to get to know their needs and personality so I know who they will be best suited with :)

111 sanctuary bunnies is an amazing amount. I barely have time to eat with the 28 we have. Do you sleep? ;)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

I find that an attempted bonding is one of the fastest ways to get to know a rabbit. They are often very different with people than with other rabbits. And I focus on the rabbits relationships with the other rabbits rather than getting them to bond with me. With so many they would be awfuly lonely if they had to depend on me for companionship! I'm not a bunny cuddler. I only handle them for health checks etc, I am only popular when I am carrying the feed bucket! But they trust me, although the new girls are not there yet. They are fine when they don't know anyone is watching, but freeze if they even suspect a human is in the vicinity. The boys are helping, but it will take time for them to trust me, although when I moved them in order to clean their cage today they seemed less upset than last time.

Oh no I meant I also focus on how they will get on with other rabbits, but I need to make sure that all their health needs are met when they move into a particular set up. I find how they behave and how they cope with their disability changes in the first couple of weeks and we need to adapt as we learn what they can or can't do. That's not focusing on my relationship with them but making sure I know them well enough to give them the home and companion they need :) As you probably well know what previous owners say and the actual reality often don't match so its starting from scratch when working out what they need!

But then when you get a bunny like Otis it very much is about building up our relationship as he needs so much hands on care he needed to trust quickly <3

They are all different :)

I do the same getting to know them process but if I can do it while I bond them so much the better. Of course it isn't always possible, there isn't always a compatible group available, and of course the bucks normally have to be neutered prior to bonding. Although after bonding Sunshine who clearly will never be well enough to neuter fairly easily, I put two of the unneutered bucks who arrived last week together straight away. They were great and so happy to have each other! Now they can go to the vet for their neutering together which will make it less stressful for them. I wouldn't have tried it if they were younger, but they are about six so I thought it was worth a try. My advantage is that I have so many candidates available for match making. I know them all really well so can work out potential groupings depending on temperament but also on housing needs etc. Whether they can jump obviously limits where they can live. We are running a bit short of single level housing as we have so many elderly rabbits (a quarter of our rabbits are over 8) as well as younger ones with mobility or vision issues. Some rabbits do wait longer. Aniseed took ages to bond when he arrived as he is a grumpy old wotsit, but when Lavender arrived I added her to his group, no problem. She was basically a walking skeleton but I could tell she would be lively when she recovered despite the horrific ear infections (she has pus caked thick all over her lopped ear, and she went from 1.8 kg to 2.5kg in a month!). I suspect that if I had waited they would have fought as she is feistier now, but I put them in with her the day after she arrived while her ears were still raw and she desperately needed comfort.

Anyway there is no single best way to do things. We each do it the way that works for us. But I know that I am continually learning more about these complicated little critters. I am always adapting my methods as I gain more and more experience. This is the tenth year since I started Hopper Haven. I suspect I'll still be learning in another ten!

Back