• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

NOW UPDATED: Little bald patch / over-grooming?

daisymaisy

Young Bun
Morning all. Noticed a little bald patch to the back of Maisy's neck this morning, only visible when she puts her head forward. Doesn't look scaly or flakey, and I'm wondering if it's down to Daisy, who does groom her alot in this area? Have tried to take some photos to check with you more experienced people before I go into panic mode!

Last edited:
To me this doesn't look like anything to do with a vaccination - it's almost as if the fur was pulled out in a chunk?

No - vaccinated just over 5 weeks ago now.

The grooming of that spot may have started after the vaccination and now it has become more of a habit. I've known that to happen on more than one occasion.

Does Daisy mount Maisy at all ? Fur pulling can occur in such circumstances. It's not possible to say for certain from looking at a photo, but the skin does not appear to look inflamed and there is a dark area which could be fur regrowth. You could keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if you remain concerned ask your Vet to take a look for you.

Have never seen her mount Maisy, but do regularly see Daisy grooming her all around the neck. Maisy has never appeared to have minded this, but wondering if I should stop her when I notice it happening. Had a good inspection, and she didn't mind me touching the area either. Don't see Maisy ever grooming Daisy though - is it a domination thing, or is she just acting motherly towards her little sister do you think?

You've got me wondering now MightyMax - would have thought I'd have noticed this before - I check them over at least twice a day, and hadn't seen it last night. Mind you, it wasn't very obvious until she sat at a certain angle, so maybe it's only now she's moulting that it has shown itself. Certainly wasn't a surplus of fluff in either the indoor or outdoor house today or yesterday.

You've got me wondering now MightyMax - would have thought I'd have noticed this before - I check them over at least twice a day, and hadn't seen it last night. Mind you, it wasn't very obvious until she sat at a certain angle, so maybe it's only now she's moulting that it has shown itself. Certainly wasn't a surplus of fluff in either the indoor or outdoor house today or yesterday.

There are a number of reasons for what you describe. It could be that one is mounting the other and pulling fur out, but I suspect that would have been happening now and again anyway, and you probably would have noticed?

it's possible also that it was caught on something and pulled a chunk of fur out. Whatever the reason, if it were my bunny, I would make sure there weren't any other bald patches, and no 'dandruff' or anything else around on the fur, and then just keep an eye on it. Her fur looks very clean to me :D

Yes - rest of her is very clean and flake free :) Will keep an eye on the patch for now, but obviously get it seen to if it develops! Thank you for all the help x

Well, the patch got bigger over the weekend, so we've popped in to the vets today. No mites, and still not inflamed or flakey, so it's either her normal moult pattern or Daisy is just partial to grooming that area a little too much. Spaying may help, and that's already booked in for next week anyway, so not much else to report!

Well, the patch got bigger over the weekend, so we've popped in to the vets today. No mites, and still not inflamed or flakey, so it's either her normal moult pattern or Daisy is just partial to grooming that area a little too much. Spaying may help, and that's already booked in for next week anyway, so not much else to report!

Hope the spay sorts it out! At least they will both have something to think about whilst getting better, so maybe not so much humping will go on :D Then they may forget about it and her skin can heal.

Good luck ... next week! Eeek!!

Back