• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

RTI: Baytril took 8 days to work

cpayne

Warren Veteran
I just wanted to make everyone aware that if you've been given baytril for a respiratory tract infection for 5 days, you will probably need a longer course. I've read a lot of postings where vets have just given a short course. Doughnut was given 10 days and by day 5 she was still no better and I thought it wasn't working. By last night (day 7) I thought the noises seemed a bit less and this morning they seemed to have gone. I can't be certain as I'm at work and didn't get much time with her but I first noticed the noises when she started eating and then they got more frequent, so this morning she was eating it was quiet.

Anyway I hope this helps someone who has only given their rabbit a short course and the next step is taking swabs, maybe ask to continue the antibiotics a little longer.

I'm pleased to say I now no longer have a fluffy piglet just a bunny who is a piglet :0)

I just wanted to make everyone aware that if you've been given baytril for a respiratory tract infection for 5 days, you will probably need a longer course. I've read a lot of postings where vets have just given a short course. Doughnut was given 10 days and by day 5 she was still no better and I thought it wasn't working. By last night (day 7) I thought the noises seemed a bit less and this morning they seemed to have gone. I can't be certain as I'm at work and didn't get much time with her but I first noticed the noises when she started eating and then they got more frequent, so this morning she was eating it was quiet.

Anyway I hope this helps someone who has only given their rabbit a short course and the next step is taking swabs, maybe ask to continue the antibiotics a little longer.

I'm pleased to say I now no longer have a fluffy piglet just a bunny who is a piglet :0)

This is interesting info, thank you :thumb:

I know we shouldn't have to know more than the vets do (or some vets!) but it's really good to have anecdotal evidence of how these things work in real bunny life...

I'm surprised how long it took and was thinking she may have to swap to another antibiotic. I know advice has been given that rabbits needed longer courses not just short ones but this just goes to show they do.

My Vet always prescribes more than a 5 day course of abx as she says short courses have the potential of doing more harm than good with regards to abx resistance developing. A really serious consideration when dealing with a multi-Rabbit environment. I am glad that Doughnut has stopped squeaking now !

I'm surprised how long it took and was thinking she may have to swap to another antibiotic. I know advice has been given that rabbits needed longer courses not just short ones but this just goes to show they do.

Yes, I was dubious of an 8 day course of Septrin recently, which I was advised was 'routine' for Upper Respiratory Infections. Needless to say, it didn't work!

This is true. H had it for 28 days. Even then, there were residual signs so, a couple of samples later, and we switched antibiotics with good effect. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the noise has definitely gone so after two more doses hopefully it wont come back!

I think I would have wanted to change antibiotics after 10 days of not working
think I couldnt wait 28 but I'm impatient and expect results quickly. I've now leant that 8 days of clearing it up is probably good although it was just her throat she didn't have a runny nose so not a bad infection I guess..

Mimzy was on baytril for his head tilt for almost 6 months. I doubt it cured the infection, but certainly kept other opportunistic bugs at bay while we treated his symptoms. He also had a brief course of CMP and one other abx over that long period of time, (not all at once of course) but can't remember now what it was...maybe even zithromax. I think the damage was already done from the off, but that he is still here today I credit to him being a feisty bum. We got injectible baytril the day he took ill (I personally think this has more effect) and keeping it going orally afterwards. He tolerates it very well so we had no fear of it causing stomach upset, in fact for some reason it seems to enhance his digestion! Fiver however we have recently found cannot take it at all and goes into stasis by the second dose. :(
For Pip's recent rolling episode she was on baytril for about 15 days. It took quite a long time to see results at first. I think at least a week. I was beginning to worry that it wasn't going to help. Plus when she came off it she was a stinky bunny, both wee and poop, and that I've never experienced before. Bunnies are so very different one to the other, it would be so much easier if they all reacted the same way. :?

I am glad to hear wee Doughnut is back to her non-squeaky, nutty self! :) :love: Special virtual snuggles being sent. xxxxxxx

My vet usually starts by giving my bunnies a two week course of abx. Some bunnies were on abx for 30 days. A couple bunnies were on it much longer. CX, who is my avatar, was on 3-4 different abx for 6 years for chronic upper respiratory infection. He was six years old when we started the abx and he stayed on them most of the time until he passed away at twelve and one half years.

These days I always think the length of course of antibiotics given for small animals is a fairly good indicator of how good a vet they are.

Back