• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pepper died

lizzyjm

Alpha Buck
I haven't been on here in ages but I just woke up to find Pepper dead...I don't know what to do. I need to go to work but I don't know what to do. Should I ring the vet? I can't stop crying. I have no idea what happened, she was fine yesterday.

Rabbits do this. Contact the vet if you want investigations or you have other rabbits who you feel might be at risk. A vet might also have information about disposal, for example, some people have pets cremated and keep ashes and a vet's office will probably have the contacts for that.

About work - if you are fit to work, go. If, as it sounds, you are not fit, phone in sick. Don't tell them your animal has died, unless you know this will be well-received. I was a teacher, we weren't paid if we had days off for vet visits, sick animals, bereavements.

I am very sorry for your loss. Do check back as people more knowledgeable than myself will be along shortly.

eta: if you are going to work, can you place pepper's body safely and put her somewhere safe outdoors for now (a secure shed or garage? or in her hutch if she's an outdoor bun), as the deterioration of her body cells will cause an odour that will upset you and might linger.

Last edited:
I'm so so sorry to hear this :cry: if I were you I would first phone in sick and then when that worry is dealt with I would call the vets to ask their advice on what to do next. What a horrible situation you find yourself in. Sending (((hugs))).

Binky free at the bridge Pepper.

Thank you, I rang the vet and they said I could bring her in now and I've also made an appointment for Sergeant tomorrow morning. My boss was great when I rang to say I'd be in late. I feel bad leaving Sergeant but he was happily munching away on hay when I left.

Thank you, I rang the vet and they said I could bring her in now and I've also made an appointment for Sergeant tomorrow morning. My boss was great when I rang to say I'd be in late. I feel bad leaving Sergeant but he was happily munching away on hay when I left.

I'm glad everyone is being supportive. xxx

I'm so sorry for your loss of Pepper :cry:

I hope you and Sergeant will be OK today x

I haven't been on here in ages but I just woke up to find Pepper dead...I don't know what to do. I need to go to work but I don't know what to do. Should I ring the vet? I can't stop crying. I have no idea what happened, she was fine yesterday.

Sudden and unexpected losses are so very hard to come to terms with :cry: I am really sorry :cry:

I'm so sorry. What a shock for you. Hope you get everything sorted today. Lots of hugs.

I'm sorry. Hope you are managing to sort the practicalities at least - it's hard to think straight in this situation.

So sorry, what an awful shock. Glad you got work sorted, one less worry for you. Hugs for you and Sargeant Binky free Pepper xxxx

Thanks for all the support. I'm waiting to hear the results of the post mortem. I had to cancel Sergeant's appointment this morning as I'd left the pet carrier at work (went straight there after taking Pepper in yesterday). I haven't rescheduled though as I'm sure he's fine, though I imagine he's missing his sister. I worry about him being on his own now. It's very odd with just him now.

Back