• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cherry - home but subdued

Rhianna

Wise Old Thumper
:cry:

I went out with Carob earlier for a drink and when I got back went to put the buns to bed and noticed that Cherry was walking awkwardly. I picked her up and one of her rear legs just hung there. It was bleeding and I had no idea what to do. I popped her in a carrier and 'phoned my vet. As usual there was an answerphone message with a mobile number for the emergency vet on-call. My vet surgery has two vets and they do their own OOH which is the main reason I chose them - knowing the vet and not having to drive a long way with a very sick furry is hugely important to me. I tried the mobile number repeatedly and just kept getting voicemail. Knowing Cherry must be in excrutiating pain I started getting very stressed and tried another vet, although I knew their emergency surgery was a good half an hour away. They answered the 'phone straight away.

I took Cherry there, with Hovis, her husbun, and the vet said her leg had an open fracture and it was not fixable. He said the choices were amputation or put to sleep. He didn't think bunnies did well with a hind leg missing and favoured the PTS option. I remembered reading on here somewhere that bunnies can have a good quality of life with only three legs and as Cherry is only a youing bun I wanted to give her a chance. He took her away to give her pain relief. I didn't like that - my vet always does things with me there to calm my pet. He was gone ages.

When he came back he said she had been given methadone and that he was going to x-ray her and fax the x-rays to John Chitty tomorrow for a second opinion, just in case the leg could be saved - which completely contradicted what he had said earlier which was that there was no way the leg was fixable. He refused to let Hovis stay with her and said that they would have to be kept separate while she healed, whatever was done. I've always left bunnies with their companions and absolutely hated leaving Cherry there all alone.

I have no idea how I will pay the bill which is already £350 but will have to try and get a new credit card quickly.

I don't know how she broke her leg. There were pieces of wood in the fenced off area she was in but these were only light. There is a chair in there and a stool that they jump on and off. I can only imagine that one of the pieces of wood fell on her leg and feel really bad that I had left them in there. They've been there for years but were recently moved when the fence/gate were replaced to stop escaping bunnies.

I'm now worried in case I should have opted for PTS and am being selfish in having her leg amputated. She just didn't look to me like a bunny ready to give up and when she went to bed she moved just as fast as usual, it was just that her gait was different which made me suspicious. I probably should have tried to splint it before taking her to the vet but I didn't know how and was panicking.

The vet has just 'phoned as he said he would. She has had an anaesthetic and an x-ray. The leg has been splinted. She is on iv antibiotics and fluids and has had methadone and an anti inflamatory. The wound has been flushed. There is a vet and nurse on site all night who will be monitoring her and he will 'phone me if he is concerned about her during the night. He doesn't think the leg can be saved.

Vibes for Cherry would be really appreciated. I really want to do the right thing but, at the moment, am not sure what that is.

Last edited:
Loads of vibes xxxx

You did the right thing, all round, Jack's Jane's Harry has done amazingly well as a tripod bunny, they can be happy and healthy bunnies. I also think it is best that you didn't splint the leg, even the vets didn't until after the x-rays!

That vet sounds promising, sad that they didn't let hovis stay though, when my Farore was poorly Loki stayed with her even though they needed to monitor her input and output, they put him in a little dog crate so he was there but not getting in the way! But then they are going to consult with one of the best rabbit vets in the country... Which is brilliant of them!

I hope she recovers well xxx

And hugs for you, that must have been a horrible end to an evening :(

I'm so sorry to hear about Cherry's leg. :(
I've no experience with this but definitely wanted to leave some more vibes for Cherry that John Chitty will have other and better options for you and that she will be okay through the night. Special snuggles being sent for Hovis and ((((((hugs))))) for you. xxxx

I am really sorry. The fracture sounds to be very similar to what happened to Harry. He sustained a compound fracture to his femur, the leg was not fixable and he had a hind leg amputation. At the time he was about one year of age. That was 7 years ago. Only now, aged about 8, has he started to have problems with arthritis in his spine and remaining hind leg. He is now on high dose Metacam and Tramadol and he may not be with me for much longer. BUT he did have those 7 years of good quality, pain free life. So if Cherry is a young and otherwise healthy Rabbit then I think you have done the right thing by not agreeing to PTS at this stage.

Sending lots of vibes for Cherry xx

I have a tripod bunny as well - front leg, though.

I hope all goes well with the treatment. You spotted it quickly and are getting appropriate help. I wouldn't have PTS, either.

We tried several times to get our rabbit's leg set in a plaster cast, but I didn't spot it as quickly as you did, it was a complicated break through 2 very small bones, and the casts just would not stay in place. At the final attempt in 2 weeks when the bones could not be brought into line again, the leg was amputated and he coped really well. You can't see that he is a tripod bunny as he is black and has long fur. It doesn't affect his movement. He can run up stairs as fast as his friend.

Back legs are a totally different shape so I hope it can be saved, but if not, she will cope with an amputation. Having a bunny friend is important as well so that she is able to groom the bits that she can't reach herself (keep an eye on her ears), and for moral support.

I had a bunny with 2 broken hind legs.. And he made a full recovery, I know this is different and so sorry to hear about your little bun but there is always hope and like others have said John chitty is really well known as a great vet.

Sending millions of vibes to cherry xx

Poor baby - sending a million vibes for her.

My Wispa had a hind limb amputation when she was around 5 years old and you would hardly have known she'd had it done. Her quality of life was very good and she'd still run around the garden and jump onto walls etc. The only thing she found tricky was grooming as she found it hard to balance on her one remaining hind leg. But if Cherry has a partner then this shouldn't be as much of a problem. Wispa was a single housebunny.

The vet I saw last night called me earlier. Cherry is eating - pellets,dandelions, grass and hay:) She has output - minimal, but he was satisfied given she has had an anaesthetic. Her splint has remained in place. John has seen the X-rays and thinks there is a chance of saving the leg. The cost will be similar to amputation - including the bill I have accrued so far it will be nearing £1000. My car needs work to get it through the MOT so this couldn't have come at a worst time, but I want to give Cherry every chance.

I took a sleeping tablet last night so don't feel safe to drive and so I'm picking Cherry up from the vet at 1600 and driving her to John for 1730 when he has a free slot. I asked about Hovis but the vet said to take Cherry on her own but admitted that he hadn't actually asked John about this. I would be much happier if Cherry had Hovis with her, but have no way to get hold of John to ask him.

I hope I am doing the right thing. One of my friends - doggy, not bunny - has implied I am being selfish and it is cruel to keep a tripod bunny (if the attempt to save the leg fails). I looked in Cherry's eyes when the vet mentioned PTS last night and I really didn't feel she was ready to give up - but maybe I saw what I wanted to. She is eating well so hopefully that is a good sign and the vet said she is bright in herself and seems comfortable. I will have a chat with Cherry on the way to Andover later and see what she wants - sadly my 'bunny' is not fluent.

Thank you all for your support and vibes - I think Cherry and I are definitely going to need them all!

Sorry I haven't been around and only just seen your PM and this. Do you want some support when you go to see John? He knows me as I was there every 6 weeks with Skye all last year

Sorry I haven't been around and only just seen your PM and this. Do you want some support when you go to see John? He knows me as I was there every 6 weeks with Skye all last year

That would be fantastic. I am soooo worried about getting lost with poor Cherry stuck in a carrier. My sat nav keeps turning itself off part way through a journey - it is very old and I got it from e-bay. I don't have your number since my mobile completely died.

So sorry to hear this. :( Hopefully the leg can be saved but bunnies can also cope really well on 3 legs, as already said. It sounds like Cherry will be in the best possible hands with John so I hope all goes well there this evening. Sending lots of vibes. Xx

Vibes for Cherry & you. I too would not have PTS either. i would also take her husband - i think most experienced bunny vets accept & appreciate this. Good luck

That would be fantastic. I am soooo worried about getting lost with poor Cherry stuck in a carrier. My sat nav keeps turning itself off part way through a journey - it is very old and I got it from e-bay. I don't have your number since my mobile completely died.

I've text you x x

Oh no sorry ! Sending lots of vibes for your little bun, they are amazing creatures, I'm sure she would cope just fine on 3 if it comes to that. Yes I agree, take Hovis with you, they can only say no. Xx

I 'phoned Anton vets and they agreed I can take Hovis. I am soooo much happier now. Just hope their bond hasn't broken down as they have been apart overnight.

Catherine has offered to drive me which is fantastic as I am famous for getting lost.

I just hope John can fix Cherry's leg - and that I can somehow find a way to pay the huge vet bill.

how is little Cherry getting on. lots of (((((((((((((((( thoughts and vibes for you both))))))))))))))))

Back