• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

No poop since morning, possibly last night

aBeautifulHope

Young Bun
Hello! I currently have a young lion head who has not popped since sometime this morning, possibly last night. The past day or two her poops had been slightly 'wonky' but I chalked it up to the fact that I had just moved her into my room and she was still adjusting to my dog/whatnot (she was in a very quiet room prior to this). There is not ONE single emergency rabbit vet within 4 hours (I'm not sure there is even one that close tbh), and I live in the US so it's a holiday weekend, there isn't even a normal bunny vet open within two hours (the closest 'normal' one I have is about an hour away)...and won't be until Monday. So I'm in a bit of a pickle. She hasn't ever eaten much hay...I had been trying to sprinkle her pellets throughout it, I put dried flowers (her favorite), alfalfa leaf, dandelion greens, the whole gamut to try to get her to eat it (I also had it ALL over the place thinking maybe seeing it everywhere would help her eat some? Nope. She just pees on it.). But she is on unlimited pellets and eats a good bit of them. She is eating her pellets today, I even gave her some romaine an hour or two ago to see if maybe getting some fluid/fiber into her would help...but so far no luck. She's hopping about and acting totally normal, so I don't know what to think? She's not really shedding so I don't THINK it's wool block, but it could be that...I'm going to pick up simethicone, some alfalfa hay (I'm at the point where if she'll eat any hay I'll be happy), critical care, and then I have over 40 liters of ringers on hand for my horses that I could easily use to sub-q her (just have to get some smaller syringes and needles)...what gage needle should I use for a small rabbit (stores are going to close soon so I want to make sure I have everything on hand in case things go south tonight)? Brand of simethicone? Doesn't matter? I would appreciate any help I could get :)

Hello! I currently have a young lion head who has not popped since sometime this morning, possibly last night. The past day or two her poops had been slightly 'wonky' but I chalked it up to the fact that I had just moved her into my room and she was still adjusting to my dog/whatnot (she was in a very quiet room prior to this). There is not ONE single emergency rabbit vet within 4 hours (I'm not sure there is even one that close tbh), and I live in the US so it's a holiday weekend, there isn't even a normal bunny vet open within two hours (the closest 'normal' one I have is about an hour away)...and won't be until Monday. So I'm in a bit of a pickle. She hasn't ever eaten much hay...I had been trying to sprinkle her pellets throughout it, I put dried flowers (her favorite), alfalfa leaf, dandelion greens, the whole gamut to try to get her to eat it (I also had it ALL over the place thinking maybe seeing it everywhere would help her eat some? Nope. She just pees on it.). But she is on unlimited pellets and eats a good bit of them. She is eating her pellets today, I even gave her some romaine an hour or two ago to see if maybe getting some fluid/fiber into her would help...but so far no luck. She's hopping about and acting totally normal, so I don't know what to think? She's not really shedding so I don't THINK it's wool block, but it could be that...I'm going to pick up simethicone, some alfalfa hay (I'm at the point where if she'll eat any hay I'll be happy), critical care, and then I have over 40 liters of ringers on hand for my horses that I could easily use to sub-q her (just have to get some smaller syringes and needles)...what gage needle should I use for a small rabbit (stores are going to close soon so I want to make sure I have everything on hand in case things go south tonight)? Brand of simethicone? Doesn't matter? I would appreciate any help I could get :)

This was and still is my bible:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

In my 20+ years of rabbit keeping I have never once used an emergency vet for episodes of stasis.

I do hope you manage to help your little one ..... Good luck x

Any update, Lauren? I just saw this post now. :(
Mighty Max gives good advice. I often referred to Dana Krempels when I was first keeping bunnies. Good site. :thumb:

I just checked my sub q needles and they are Monoject 250, 18 x 1A if that helps.
With simethicone you could get the infant drops stuff, but be sure there's no xylitol in them as that's a sugar that is known to cause severe illness in animals. I used to buy the generic from my local Fred Meyers but they've changed it a few times since I last used it. Not sure if it's safe anymore.

If she's eating pellets I guess that's some intake although I took mine off pellets years ago because they seemed to have more digestive issues with them than without. For now you could make a slurry of them to help get both food and fluid in if you need to.

Otherwise it sounds like you're well equipped to deal with the issue. Without going overboard on the greens, (sometimes you can upset a bunny tummy that way) any herbs that she fancies will definitely help out and keeping her hydrated is of course key, even if it's bits by mouth with a syringe.

I sympathize with the long way to vets problems, although ours are only 30 minutes away they are only ER over the weekend and they usually are clueless about rabbits. :(

Always on a holiday weekend eh? :roll: Could there already be fireworks going off that might've upset your little one? And my bunnies hate pooping in strange (unfamiliar) places so perhaps even the shift of scenery could've thrown her off. I do hope she's doing better though. (((((((Vibes)))))))) xxxx

Whilst there are some basic 'first aid' measures we can take to try to help a Rabbit who is exhibiting signs of GI tract hypomotility there is absolutely no substitute for having the Rabbit examined by a Vet. So much more information can be obtained from a 'hands on' examination and relevant diagnostics such as careful palpation of the abdomen to check for abnormal masses/guarding (due to pain), listening for gut sounds, observing any evidence of a primary health problem (gut stasis often being a secondary symptom of another problem) and blood glucose testing. A very high blood glucose reading is indicative of a GI tract blockage. It is not a stand alone diagnostic tool, but it is very useful. Also, pain relief and gut motility medication that may be required are all prescription only and their use has to be carried out under the supervision of a Vet. SQ fluid therapy needs to be carefully calibrated too. So regardless of what information we may find online a hands on examination of the Rabbit by a Vet is certainly necessary. I am mentioning this not because I am implying that you would not take your Rabbit to a Vet, but anyone else reading this Site may think it is OK to attempt to treat their Rabbit themselves, not realising how serious Gastrointestinal problems can become in Rabbits.

Whilst it sounds as though your Rabbit is relatively bright within herself the fact that fecal output has apparently stopped is obviously a cause for concern and my advice would be to seek Vet attention for her as soon as you are able to if she has not completely recovered by now. I do understand that accessing a Vet in some circumstances is less than easy. I am sure that makes the situation additionally stressful for you.

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/wsava/2008/lecture10/70.pdf?LA=1

http://www.vetsonline.com/publicati...es/n-42-47/managing-gi-stasis-in-rabbits.html

Last edited:
Mighty Max, THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK. I am going to print the ENTIRE thing out multiple times and put it everywhere!!! It's an absolute treasure trove of information.

MimzMum, She's basically better now, and no, there haven't been any fireworks today, but there were a few last night a town over...so it could definitely be that. I was out watching them so I wasn't able to see how she handled them either. I wish I could take her off of pellets, but I don't think that was wise because I think this may have been brought on by the fact that to get her to eat more hay I was putting her pellets INTO the hay and she wasn't really eating that many because of it...I'm just going to have to play around with hays and see hat she'll end up eating...and I will definitely have to check the drops for Xylitol, I don't think there was any but I will definitely double check. And thank you so much for the advice!

Jack's-Jane, I totally get where you are coming from, but there is NO access to an exotics vet that is open for a very, very long time...and to be honest I'm pretty sure the stress of putting her through that would be slightly cruel...She's not super bad (she's actually 90-100% fine now, her poops are totally normal, but I'm still being cautious saying she's '100%'), and I'm pretty sure the stress the car ride/being held and jostled (she's very skittish and has had bad experiences with humans prior to us, I'm trying to get her socialized...but it's going mind-numbingly slowly) would make it way worse than it already is. I've also worked as a vet assistant/tech for a while/owned many, many animals that I have had to nurse through (by myself...sans vet for the goats because there is was no vet within 100 miles who did goats at the time. I've grown up USA type rural on a farm and probably know more about how to deal with bloat/most goat illnesses than most vets) some really, really rough illnesses. Now, I am ALL for calling the vet if you have access to one. I do not. I talked to both my old boss (large animal), and my dog's vet, and they don't know of anyone who is open who knows ANYTHING at all about a rabbit. And I am not willing to put this poor bun through the stress of a car ride with a very, very loud 18 month old, and a 6 year old (who I love to death, but just winds her brother up) for who knows how many hours (especially with the traffic that is currently underway the second you step out of my county). She is now, if not actually 100% better, pretty dang close to it :) And thank you a ton for your links!!! I'm sorry if I seem defensive, but I am neurotic about my animals and would bring her to a vet if I thought I could get her to one without stressing her to the point where it would be detrimental to her health/she was acting like she was in pain. She's a sweetheart of a bun, and like I said, she is basically completely better :)

Mighty Max, THANK YOU FOR THAT LINK. I am going to print the ENTIRE thing out multiple times and put it everywhere!!! It's an absolute treasure trove of information.

MimzMum, She's basically better now, and no, there haven't been any fireworks today, but there were a few last night a town over...so it could definitely be that. I was out watching them so I wasn't able to see how she handled them either. I wish I could take her off of pellets, but I don't think that was wise because I think this may have been brought on by the fact that to get her to eat more hay I was putting her pellets INTO the hay and she wasn't really eating that many because of it...I'm just going to have to play around with hays and see hat she'll end up eating...and I will definitely have to check the drops for Xylitol, I don't think there was any but I will definitely double check. And thank you so much for the advice!

Jack's-Jane, I totally get where you are coming from, but there is NO access to an exotics vet that is open for a very, very long time...and to be honest I'm pretty sure the stress of putting her through that would be slightly cruel...She's not super bad (she's actually 90-100% fine now, her poops are totally normal, but I'm still being cautious saying she's '100%'), and I'm pretty sure the stress the car ride/being held and jostled (she's very skittish and has had bad experiences with humans prior to us, I'm trying to get her socialized...but it's going mind-numbingly slowly) would make it way worse than it already is. I've also worked as a vet assistant/tech for a while/owned many, many animals that I have had to nurse through (by myself...sans vet for the goats because there is was no vet within 100 miles who did goats at the time. I've grown up USA type rural on a farm and probably know more about how to deal with bloat/most goat illnesses than most vets) some really, really rough illnesses. Now, I am ALL for calling the vet if you have access to one. I do not. I talked to both my old boss (large animal), and my dog's vet, and they don't know of anyone who is open who knows ANYTHING at all about a rabbit. And I am not willing to put this poor bun through the stress of a car ride with a very, very loud 18 month old, and a 6 year old (who I love to death, but just winds her brother up) for who knows how many hours (especially with the traffic that is currently underway the second you step out of my county). She is now, if not actually 100% better, pretty dang close to it :) And thank you a ton for your links!!! I'm sorry if I seem defensive, but I am neurotic about my animals and would bring her to a vet if I thought I could get her to one without stressing her to the point where it would be detrimental to her health/she was acting like she was in pain. She's a sweetheart of a bun, and like I said, she is basically completely better :)

As I already stated, my comments were for the benefit of other readers of this site (the 'Health' Section is visible to anyone, not just RU Members) who may be less experienced than you and assume that it's always fine to try to treat their Rabbit at home first. I have seen all too often the consequences of that happening :cry:

I hope that your Rabbit will make a full recovery :)

Ah thank you, you are most welcome!

I know it's saved my rabbits' lives time and time again, and I appreciate people just can't always get to a vet, with the very best will in the world. It's better to have something to work with rather than feel totally helpless.

Ongoing good luck :thumb:

As I already stated, my comments were for the benefit of other readers of this site (the 'Health' Section is visible to anyone, not just RU Members) who may be less experienced than you and assume that it's always fine to try to treat their Rabbit at home first. I have seen all too often the consequences of that happening :cry:

I hope that your Rabbit will make a full recovery :)

So far it looks like that! She's even eating hay (her poops also look bigger and golden-ish in color) and she wouldn't even eat it before? And sorry I got all defensive, but I have been attacked by people before regarding my animals, so I'm just really touchy about it...I'm sorry :oops: My buns, dogs, and horses are my babies, and I just get really upset when I think people think I'm not doing everything in my power to help them feel better :)

Ah thank you, you are most welcome!

I know it's saved my rabbits' lives time and time again, and I appreciate people just can't always get to a vet, with the very best will in the world. It's better to have something to work with rather than feel totally helpless.

Ongoing good luck :thumb:

:D It definitely calmed me down once I read it, I tend to go worst case scenario, and that link let me go there but also gave me an amazing amount of tools to fight said worst case scenario :thumb:

So far it looks like that! She's even eating hay (her poops also look bigger and golden-ish in color) and she wouldn't even eat it before? And sorry I got all defensive, but I have been attacked by people before regarding my animals, so I'm just really touchy about it...I'm sorry :oops: My buns, dogs, and horses are my babies, and I just get really upset when I think people think I'm not doing everything in my power to help them feel better :)

No need to apologise :D I am really glad to hear that Bunny is doing fine now xx

:D It definitely calmed me down once I read it, I tend to go worst case scenario, and that link let me go there but also gave me an amazing amount of tools to fight said worst case scenario :thumb:

It's difficult for some people in the UK with 24 hour access to vets to understand sometimes how visiting a vet is just not possible. I have been in your position so I totally understand! There was never any doubt in my mind that you love your babies and would always do the best for them :love:

I always think it's best to be forearmed with as much info as possible. Dana Krempels is my heroine :D

Jack's-Jane, thank you...and I'm super relieved and glad as well :)

MightyMax, Thank you! Even when I do have a vet on hand I prefer to know as much about what we're dealing with as possible. There have been times when I have kept my horse/dog/goat alive when a vet was being lazy (almost lost a gelding to colic/almost ended up in a risky and invasive surgery thanks to a vet being lazy and not wanting to come out for the second and third night in a row to give this horse fluids and tube him with mineral oil. If it hadn't been for the fact I called another vet, and then another one after that till I annoyed someone enough to come out/and would give him meds for an ulcer [previous vet wouldn't, no ulcers were showing up, but I know this horse and he was acting like a horse with ulcers] we would have lost him. Dealt with colic for over a week and a half, within a day of starting him on the ulcer meds he was 80-90% better, eating and pooping normal poop, and I was able to get a few hours of sleep at home in my own bed instead of in the front seat of my truck) and/or glossing over a problem and I got on their case because I knew what I was seeing and it was NOT right, _____ needed to be done. I know my pets best, so if I also know what we're dealing with and ALL of the treatment options (alternative and otherwise), I can make a better decision and I can guide the vet to the correct decision because I know that specific animal's baseline and temperament/what it can handle much better than the vet :)

Jack's-Jane, thank you...and I'm super relieved and glad as well :)

MightyMax, Thank you! Even when I do have a vet on hand I prefer to know as much about what we're dealing with as possible. There have been times when I have kept my horse/dog/goat alive when a vet was being lazy (almost lost a gelding to colic/almost ended up in a risky and invasive surgery thanks to a vet being lazy and not wanting to come out for the second and third night in a row to give this horse fluids and tube him with mineral oil. If it hadn't been for the fact I called another vet, and then another one after that till I annoyed someone enough to come out/and would give him meds for an ulcer [previous vet wouldn't, no ulcers were showing up, but I know this horse and he was acting like a horse with ulcers] we would have lost him. Dealt with colic for over a week and a half, within a day of starting him on the ulcer meds he was 80-90% better, eating and pooping normal poop, and I was able to get a few hours of sleep at home in my own bed instead of in the front seat of my truck) and/or glossing over a problem and I got on their case because I knew what I was seeing and it was NOT right, _____ needed to be done. I know my pets best, so if I also know what we're dealing with and ALL of the treatment options (alternative and otherwise), I can make a better decision and I can guide the vet to the correct decision because I know that specific animal's baseline and temperament/what it can handle much better than the vet :)

I do agree with you entirely :thumb: There are very few vets that I would entrust with the care of my rabbits. All the others I have seen, I feel I need to gen up beforehand on what the problems might be, as they sometimes cannot offer suggestions. I think it's always best to be informed, as you feel too.

Our instinct can guide us, and you've got a great instinct where your animals are concerned. Regarding alternative treatment - there's some hostility towards it, but used correctly it can absolutely be a life saver, as you've probably found out :D

I hope all continues to be well with your bunny x

I do agree with you entirely :thumb: There are very few vets that I would entrust with the care of my rabbits. All the others I have seen, I feel I need to gen up beforehand on what the problems might be, as they sometimes cannot offer suggestions. I think it's always best to be informed, as you feel too.

Our instinct can guide us, and you've got a great instinct where your animals are concerned. Regarding alternative treatment - there's some hostility towards it, but used correctly it can absolutely be a life saver, as you've probably found out :D

I hope all continues to be well with your bunny x

I am a control freak, and have dealt with quite a few vets that do NOT make my heart go a pitter patter :lol:.

I definitely know that hostility that many people find towards alternative treatment, and while I don't always go to it from the get go, i don't always not, and regardless of the route if it's not working, I change it. I currently have a horse that traditional navicular treatments are not doing ANYTHING for, so I'm most likely going to be going an alternative route if our next round of whatever it is we're deciding to do doesn't work :)

So far she's still doing well! She had some funky poops this morning, but besides that her poop has been completely normal and she's eating hay again...I think the funky poops might have been because she wasn't eating much hay last night...

Back