• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Strange looking rabbit on SSPCA

Crunchie

Warren Veteran
She's very cute but I'm wondering whether she's a proper domestic rabbit? It seems odd that she was caught straying but is aged 6-8 weeks. :? The reason I ask is that there was a population of sandy-coloured wild rabbits near to where I used to live.

http://www.scottishspca.org/rehoming/animal/23419_peaches

The way the wee one is built just doesn't really scream domestic bunny to me. :?

I wonder if my Honey would like a wee baby. :lol:

It could definately be a wildie, apparently this colour is seen fairly regularly in the Huntly area of Aberdeenshire.
We were asked to take on a wildie this colour, but sadly he died before he got to us. The pictures showed a rabbit very like this. If so, it's a shame both for the owner and rabbit. The owner will have expectations of a fluffy bunny and the rabbit will be so much more flighty than domestics.

Jeezo our Jack was a wildie cross and he was bad enough. Can't imagine what a full on wildie that was taken in at 6-8 weeks would be like. I wonder how they caught her.

I'd say she is definitely a Wildie

Could the SSPCA look for a Wildlife Rehab/sanctuary placement for her ? Unless she went to a very experienced Rabbit carer a life as a 'Pet' may not be that great for her. Wildies will never be fully domesticated and IMO a wildlife sanctuary placement will always be the best option if releasing back into the wild is not.

Unless she goes in with another group of wildies for a group release, she has no chance if released as a single. We have a wildie bonded with a domestic and she gets on fine, just not a cuddly bunny, which is what every body wants. Shame, somebody who meant well has made life so much more difficult for her, and if it doesn't work in her new home the SSPCA do not take back, as far as I have been told.

When we adopted Jack in 2012 we were told in no uncertain terms that they didn't want to see him back.

I've sent an emaik alerting them to the fact she appears to be a wikd rabbit but I wonder if they'll believe me. The wildlife place in Ayr does have lots of outdoor aviaries and does take in young/orphaned rabbits so maybe they could take her and do a group release.

She must be do scared and confused, the poor dear. If it wasn't so down south I would go and see her myself, maybe try and convince them to release her (in the best way for her). I really hope she gets a good future.

Back