• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on Mummy Helen 2nd July 2015

Tuckerbunnies

Wise Old Thumper
I was kindly asked if I would do an update for Mummy Helen and I realise it has been a year since I updated about her,
sorry about that.

Things are not great with Helen at the moment as she is having to have constant dentals, they are like every 3 weeks which is a lot for
such a tiny and fragile bunny but she copes and we usually have to syringe feed her a few days to a week sometimes after a dental but
I think there is going to come a time when Mike and I are going to think that 'enough is enough' but at the moment we just can't think about that
as I just can't ever imagine our lives without her in it was bad enough when we had to have Baby Saint pts . :cry:

Mummy Helen will be 7 years old in October besides the terrible abuse that she went through that left her with a hernia, a twisted spine and a dropped shoulder,
she was diagnosed with E.cuniculi a few years ago and started to have a seizure when she was coming round from a dental op and Mike was with
her as we thought we were going to lose her for sure, but the amazing little fighter she is, she fought back and now our wonderful vet makes sure
she has a light GA and so far she has been ok when coming round.

We have started now to keep her in an indoor cage in our back living room as she was starting to fall over a lot and we felt she was feeling the cold in
her special pen so we made up an indoor cage for her and she seems to prefer it, we let her out in her pen now and then for some exercise.

Back in January 2013 she suffered with a very bad right eye and we found out it was ulceration to her iris , the cause of this can be Pasteurella or E.cuniculi and she had a bag of medicines to take and eye drop's for her eye .There was a chance she may have had to have her right eye removed but she had her meds and Mike made sure the eye drop's went in her eye as many times a day as possible and the eye got better and didn't have to be removed. Our vet was shocked at how it had improved. Touch wood she has had no trouble since with that eye.

So despite everything she battles on, she still is the grumpy nethie she has always been and she still try's to bite the vet and the vet nurses but she is loved and cared for and is and will always be our special Mummy Helen :love: :love:

~Some photos for you~

Helen on arrival home after one of her many dental op's.

Helen in her special pen.

Helens eye back in 2013.

Awwwww bless her heart :love: The fact that she remains a feisty little Bunny and is still keeping the Vets and VNs in their place is bound to work in her favour. A Bunny with attitude is a very strong Bunny indeed :D

Thank you for updating us about her xx

Thank you Tuckerbunnies.
I often think of mummy Helen, and wonder how she is doing, and baby Saint still holds a special place in my heart too.
It's tough to read what mummy Helen is going through with the regular dentals, but I'm glad to read she is coping well enough with them. Her indoor cage looks very cosy, I bet she feels lovely and secure in there.
She's a strong bunny that's for sure, lots of love to her, and to you for caring for her so well x

Goodness, dentals very three weeks :shock: And there's nothing much of her .... She must be immensely strong is all I can say!

How do you keep her weight up? I have this problem with a little Nethie ...

Goodness, dentals very three weeks :shock: And there's nothing much of her .... She must be immensely strong is all I can say!

How do you keep her weight up? I have this problem with a little Nethie ...

Helen is usually a good eater she is getting old now and so doesn't hold the weight like she use to, at one time she got really big and so we reduced her pellets.
Usually after a dental she won't eat for a few day's and so we will syringe feed her and sometimes add a little manuka honey to her feed, I think she is a fighter
she is not frightened of nothing, for her size and all she has wrong with her she is amazing .

Helen is usually a good eater she is getting old now and so doesn't hold the weight like she use to, at one time she got really big and so we reduced her pellets.
Usually after a dental she won't eat for a few day's and so we will syringe feed her and sometimes add a little manuka honey to her feed, I think she is a fighter
she is not frightened of nothing, for her size and all she has wrong with her she is amazing .

I might try the Manuka Honey.

I hope she keeps going! My little one has a personality at least 4 times his size.

Never had a Nethie before - maybe they are all like that? :D

Back