• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Worried about thick fur in this heat

Beau Belle

Mama Doe
So this is a bit random, but Bella (one of our young buns) have *really* long, thick fur and I'm so worried about her overheating. She's a 4-month old lionhead.

She doesn't seem too bothered, she's eating and drinking, she's indoors where it's fairly cool and I have cold tiles for her...

But I'm still worried.

Should I try to cut down the thick fur? Do you think that would be helpful for her?

I trim one of my lionhead's fur once it gets really long - I use pet scissors to clip it to just longer than 'normal' rabbit fur length. I think she is a little happier and more active once it is trimmed (although she's so disapproving about most things it is hard to tell! :lol:) My other lionhead only has a 'fuzzy' rather than very long mane and the rest of the fur is normal length - I tend to leave him to it.

They are both house rabbits, and I've never seen any of them get 'really' hot, so if your bun looks to be coping fine I'm sure that's also ok.

Edited to add pics:

Hair cut (including disapproving bunny face!)

Full length (I tend to let it grow all the way out, then trim it again...):

Last edited:
I have a super fluffy lionhead too, I gave him a good crop before this hot spell. I can see his markings better now because usually he's just floof [emoji38]

Back