• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Diphenhydramine ( Benadryl ) for dizziness from head tilt / inner ear infection??

nickybunny1

Mama Doe
My vet has recommended I use diphenhydramine for the dizziness associated with Cody ' s inner ear infection and mild head tilt. I was told to give a sixth of a 25 mg nytol tablet which contains diphenhydramine. Has anyone tried this ? I have read this drug is also in children's benadryl liquid. I would prefer to use the liquid as easier to dose. Anyone try liquid benadryl? ? If so was it the kids formula and did it help ur bun with dizziness? Cody is not eatting that much and is still having to be syringe fed. That's a week of syringe feeding nearly now.

Many years ago one of my Rabbits was prescribed Benadryl (the paediatric liquid form) but it did not help at all. Stemetil (prochlorperazine) did though.

What pain relief is cody having at the moment ? Also what antibiotics is he on ?

I am sorry to hear that he is still really struggling :cry:

Hi Jane. He is on injectable depocillin and 0.6ml of dog metacam once a day . He is 2 kg. Vet is ringing again this morning so will ask her about the stemitil.

Last edited:
Yes, Sarah is right, benadryl in the uk doesn't contain that active ingredient, it's in the USA that it does. I looked into it years ago and seem to recall that Nytol was the only place I found it in the uk. it is supposed to be good for bunny dizziness (other antihistamines not, hence the very specific choice) so it's definitely worth a go I'd say. Otherwise stemetil is another common choice as jane said, but you'll probably struggle to find it in liquid form again. Good luck

Yes, Sarah is right, benadryl in the uk doesn't contain that active ingredient, it's in the USA that it does. I looked into it years ago and seem to recall that Nytol was the only place I found it in the uk. it is supposed to be good for bunny dizziness (other antihistamines not, hence the very specific choice) so it's definitely worth a go I'd say. Otherwise stemetil is another common choice as jane said, but you'll probably struggle to find it in liquid form again. Good luck

That's probably why it didn't work !! I cant remember how the Vet sourced the Benadryl, it was about 8-9 years ago. Maybe they changed the 'recipe' during that time ?

Anyway, the Stemetil worked really well and a local pharmacist was able to obtain a generic in liquid form :)

Hi Jane. He is on injectable depocillin and 0.6ml of dog metacam once a day . He is 2 kg. Vet is ringing again this morning so will ask her about the stemitil.

My vet has prescribed Stemetil for one of my rabbits in the past. It wasn't my current vet, but I seem to remember it worked well.

You could perhaps also ask if you could give the Metacam dose twice daily, at least whilst he's quite unwell perhaps?

Back