• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Health check for new rabbit

Espeada

Young Bun
Planning on getting a girlfriend for Emrys this weekend, obviously they won't be introduced for another month or so but I want her to be able to settle and get use to me and her new surroundings. I know to check the eyes, ears, teeth, nose, body for lumps and bumps, and the genitals but is there anything I'm missing that I should check for?
Also is there any possible way to approximately determine how big a rabbit will get when fully grown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the Bunny a baby ? Where are you obtaining her from ? If from a Breeder then they should provide you with documents relating to the genetic history (parents + grand-parents) and health. Good Breeders usually vaccinate their Rabbits before selling them and they do not sell them before the age of 8-10 weeks. Obviously you will see how large the Rabbit is likely to grow to by her breed and by the size of her Mother (whom you should also be shown). I would not expect a good Breeder to mis-sex a Kit they were selling. But unfortunately there are some not so good Breeders who do just that on a regular basis. A good Breeder will also be more than happy to show you around their set-up so you can see for yourself where your Rabbit came from.

If you are obtaining her from a Pet Shop then her history may not be given accurately. She could be the result of poor Breeding practices, carrying genetic predispositions to things like Dental Disease. How big she may grow to may also be difficult to be precise about. The stressful environment of a Pet Shop can result in a baby Rabbit becoming unwell with GI tract problems or Respiratory tract problems. Pet Shop Rabbits get a really poor deal.

Baby Rabbits have very delicate GI tracts, so you would need to look for any signs of a 'mucky bum' and/or a 'pot belly' appearance as well as the other checks you have mentioned.

If you are obtaining your Rabbit from a Rescue then a full health check by a Vet should have been done prior to adoption, regardless of the age of the Rabbit. A reputable Rescue would not rehome a Rabbit of any age without that being the case. Any health concerns should be disclosed at the time of adoption and reputable Rescues neuter and vaccinate all Rabbits prior to adoption.

Good luck with your new addition xx

Planning on getting a girlfriend for Emrys this weekend, obviously they won't be introduced for another month or so but I want her to be able to settle and get use to me and her new surroundings. I know to check the eyes, ears, teeth, nose, body for lumps and bumps, and the genitals but is there anything I'm missing that I should check for?
Also is there any possible way to approximately determine how big a rabbit will get when fully grown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where do you plan to get Emrys' girlfriend from? You shouldn't have to do a full health check yourself, but it depends on where she is coming from :)

Lucky Emrys :D

Back