• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A First for Me! - U/d Pip is getting Lucky

tonibun

Wise Old Thumper
I took a tiny Nethie off a sick lady last week, the indoor cage was so dirty I left it outside while I transferred bunny into a clean one. I said to the owner I thought he could have mites but maybe he was just moulting, as there was no dandruff visible. So yesterday I decided to trim his nails and when I had a close look at the fur on his back I saw lots of tiny black specs, so I took him down the road to the local Vets and she had to look it up on the Internet and said, from the photo, he had fleas. As she came over to have another look at him she said one just jumped on me! She quickly zapped it. Fortunately he is being kept indoors so not near the others! This is the first time in 18 years I have come across this and wonder is it the dirty conditions he was living in which have caused it. She applied some Advantage to the back of his neck and hopefully this should solve the problem. The fleas are so tiny.

Last edited:
Glad you have taken him in, hope the treatment gets rid of them quickly :thumb:

I took a tiny Nethie off a sick lady last week, the indoor cage was so dirty I left it outside while I transferred bunny into a clean one. I said to the owner I thought he could have mites but maybe he was just moulting, as there was no dandruff visible. So yesterday I decided to trim his nails and when I had a close look at the fur on his back I saw lots of tiny black specs, so I took him down the road to the local Vets and she had to look it up on the Internet and said, from the photo, he had fleas. As she came over to have another look at him she said one just jumped on me! She quickly zapped it. Fortunately he is being kept indoors so not near the others! This is the first time in 18 years I have come across this and wonder is it the dirty conditions he was living in which have caused it. She applied some Advantage to the back of his neck and hopefully this should solve the problem. The fleas are so tiny.

Aaaww bless you for taking him in! He has certainly landed on his feet now - do you think you will keep him?

Definitely the fleas have come from his living conditions/ possible contact with cats or dogs? - I'm surprised he didn't have fly strike.

I hope he recovers soon and begins to enjoy life.

Any photos? :D

Aaaww bless you for taking him in! He has certainly landed on his feet now - do you think you will keep him?

Definitely the fleas have come from his living conditions/ possible contact with cats or dogs? - I'm surprised he didn't have fly strike.

I hope he recovers soon and begins to enjoy life.

Any photos? :D

I wish I could figure out how to do photos. He is a tiny agouti Nethie, supposedly around 7 yrs old and when I take on a rabbit it is usually for life. He isn't neutered so he won't be getting a friend. There was a dog where he came from. Do you know MM if guinea pigs can catch fleas from rabbits as they have been in the same room as him. I asked the Vet yesterday and she thought gps don't get them.

I popped Pip, who had fleas, down to the Vets just to check he has no fleas now and asked her if she thought he was ok to be neutered. She thought he was so he is booked in for next Friday and he has a lovely wifebun waiting. They are sitting next to one another in indoor cages. He came in an indoor cage and I've constructed a shelf for him which he likes to either sit under or on. His wife-to-be is in a bigger cage and she has now got a bigger shelf with an enclosed bit so she has the choice. Plus I can get a litter tray in her cage. I am not a lover of indoor cages but both of these bunnies were already living in them so for now they will be ok. She is also a tiny Nethie, a REW.

Back