• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Weight loss - possible causes? Tests?

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
I'm still a bit concerned about Apache's weight. Since about last summer he's been at around 2kg when he used to be 2.4. Not a major problem and he is getting elderly now but he does feel 'too thin' so I'm going to ask the vet about it when I take the buns for their vaccinations tomorrow.

He's still eating well and very happy, bounding around like a young'un.

Has anyone got any thoughts on possible causes and what tests would be sensible to have done? I'm a bit paranoid because when I realised that Poppy was really underweight, the vet took blood for testing and she died within hours :? So even though I know it might be necessary, blood tests have only bad associations for me!

Thanks x

I'm still a bit concerned about Apache's weight. Since about last summer he's been at around 2kg when he used to be 2.4. Not a major problem and he is getting elderly now but he does feel 'too thin' so I'm going to ask the vet about it when I take the buns for their vaccinations tomorrow.

Has anyone got any thoughts on possible causes and what tests would be sensible to have done? I'm a bit paranoid because when I realised that Poppy was really underweight, the vet took blood for testing and she died within hours :? So even though I know it might be necessary, blood tests have only bad associations for me!

Thanks x

Could you give a bit more information about Apache-

Do you weigh him regularly to ascertain whether he is actually loosing weight ? If you were to weigh him every 2-3 days this would be a good way to monitor things. 3 consecutive losses could be cause for concern.

Older Rabbits do tend to change body shape and loose muscle mass. So just going by how the Rabbit looks is not going to be an accurate way to monitor weight.

What is his actual daily diet and if he lives with other Rabbits are you certain that he is getting his fair share of the food? Older Rabbits can develop Dental problems, even if they have never had any before. This may mean that whilst they are eating they eat more slowly and so any other Rabbit they live with is likely to eat most of the food.

Is he drinking a lot more than usual ? Any change in wee output-ie very watery wee all the time and/or loss of litter tray habits ?

What is his poo output like ?

Have you noticed a reduction in his exercise tolerance-ie after exercise does he flop out and exhibit an increased respiratory rate/effort that appears to go on for some time ?

Sorry for the inquisition !! It just helps to offer advice if there is as much background info' as possible !!

Thanks x

Hi there :)

What do you call elderly? That is a bit of a weight drop and I would be a bit concerned too. I would also be a bit concerned about the blood tests given what you say happened. I am sorry about Poppy - does the vet have any explanation for why she died?

A blood test would show whether the kidneys and other organs were working properly, but if he's eating well then so far so good really ...

I would say get the vet to have a look at his teeth. Sometimes there can be issues that aren't obvious, and if you're feeding two rabbits (does he live with another?) then his companion may be getting the lion's share without you noticing.

I must say that I boost my oldies up with food just for them, if they are amongst younger ones, as they need a bit more 'resilience' to anaesthetics and vaccinations and the like as they are getting a bit bony.

Hi folks,thanks for your thoughtful replies, much appreciated. :love:

We just went to the vets (I should have posted this thread earlier!) and things seem positive - for a start, my scales obviously aren't up to much as the vets scales showed he hasn't lost as much as I thought recently and he's been even lighter in the past so it's possible I'm being paranoid. The vet checked his teeth which were top notch and listened to his heart and guts too which were fine. He also said that Apache feels like a normal weight and condition for an 8 year old bunny - he's not underweight as such, just not in the peak condition any more. I think I always tend to compare him to Skye, who is only 5 and quite chunky.

Anyway I'm to take him back in 4 weeks for another check up and a weigh on the reliable scales (!) to see if he is actually losing weight. Then we can go from there. Some more info on him below - would appreciate your thoughts in case he does need more tests etc so I know what to expect...

He's about 8 but we're not sure how old he was when he came into rescue so could be older. He was 2.4 when I got him so the .4 drop has been over 7ish years. I have been weighing him every few weeks since last August as a mutual friend who hadn't seen him for a while said she thought he looked thin :( During this time he's been fluctuating by about 150g but not consisntently losing - but then I weighed him last night and he seemed to have lost 100g in four weeks :shock: Although it seems now that my scales are just rubbish :lol:

I'm fairly sure it's not due to food competition with Skye because they are both piglets and he gives as good as he gets at feeding time! But I'll start feeding them their pellets separately just in case. Their diet is unlimited hay, excel pellets (small handful twice daily) and various vegetables and herbs.

His appetite, poo and wee and litter habits are all the same as normal and I haven't noticed any increased drinking. It's hard to monitor exactly as he shares his bowl with Skye but I'm in the room with them most of the time and I haven't observed him drinking more.

He does flop out and breathe fast fairly often, sometimes after running around and particularly after hot weather, but he's been doing that for at least five years and it hasn't got worse or more frequent. I asked the vet about it a few years ago because I thought it was weird, but he didn't think it was anything serious.

MightyMax The vet said that Poppy was so ill already when I brought her in that taking the blood was just more than she could handle and she probably would have died that week anyway :( We never got any leads on the underlying illness, she had no symptoms other than weight loss and I didn't go through with the blood tests after she passed as I couldn't bear it.

Thanks again :wave:

Last edited:
It sounds as though there is not too much to be concerned about. Weighing him regularly will be the best way to continue to monitor things. If his weight remains stable and he continues to have a normal input and output and no change in his general demeanour I would not expect the Vet to suggest any diagnostics at all. If he were to be loosing weight or if any new symptoms occurred a full blood profile might be a good idea.

Hi folks,thanks for your thoughtful replies, much appreciated. :love:

We just went to the vets (I should have posted this thread earlier!) and things seem positive - for a start, my scales obviously aren't up to much as the vets scales showed he hasn't lost as much as I thought recently and he's been even lighter in the past so it's possible I'm being paranoid. The vet checked his teeth which were top notch and listened to his heart and guts too which were fine. He also said that Apache feels like a normal weight and condition for an 8 year old bunny - he's not underweight as such, just not in the peak condition any more. I think I always tend to compare him to Skye, who is only 5 and quite chunky.

Anyway I'm to take him back in 4 weeks for another check up and a weigh on the reliable scales (!) to see if he is actually losing weight. Then we can go from there. Some more info on him below - would appreciate your thoughts in case he does need more tests etc so I know what to expect...

MightyMax The vet said that Poppy was so ill already when I brought her in that taking the blood was just more than she could handle and she probably would have died that week anyway :( We never got any leads on the underlying illness, she had no symptoms other than weight loss and I didn't go through with the blood tests after she passed as I couldn't bear it.

Thanks again :wave:

I think it's a good idea to take him back in a month's time for a reliable weigh! I'm not a fan of constantly weighing bunnies unless they're really near the end stage. Keeping an eye on him, as you are doing already, seems eminently sensible, as he's had a thorough M.O.T. which is very reassuring.

I'm sorry to hear about Poppy. It's so difficult to know how to handle those last few weeks, but I can understand your anxiety over Apache's weight loss and reluctance to have a blood test. If he were my bun, I would carry on as normal for the time being, and not stress himself or yourself with possibly unnecessary tests :D

Back