• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Basil/Mint good fly repellants?

Am I right in thinking that basil and mint plants are a good fly deterrent, if I were to place them on the windowsills? Scrappy is an indoor bun but now that the weather is warmer and the windows are open flies can obviously still come into the flat. At the moment I've got fly paper hanging in front of all the open windows and I've sprayed the frames with "Raid" to try and keep them out, but I'd still like to do as much as possible to stop them coming in. Thanks in advance! :wave:

All those smelly herbs are meant to be good. I have thyme, lavender, rosemary, mint and basil plants around my garden. Safe for bunny nibbles too of course!

Yes they are - lemon balm, lavender, rosemary ... etc

(However, as you know, you can't rely on them... flystrike, blah, blah ... You may also find your windowsill full of bees instead :D )

Just a thought, can you use lavender oil ? I was thinking of putting some on cotton wool in the bun shed

Just a thought, can you use lavender oil ? I was thinking of putting some on cotton wool in the bun shed

I have often put oils around the place - essential oils. I know some people here don't like to, but I've found them to be safe and effective.

Back