• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay dilemmas

Holhol

Alpha Buck
I am having a nightmare with Ferg and his only liking B&M hay. Their stock seems to have changed and has gone soft and green rather than the yellow stalky stuff he likes and I've checked all the local ones for any. It's taken 2 years to find one he loves and now it's gone :(

I went hay shopping locally and found a good stalky one, but it's meadow hay rather than Timothy so he'll eat some, but I don't think that's enough. I'm waiting on a timothyhay.co.uk sample (they aren't quick at sample postage apparently) to see if he likes that but he is SO fussy. He doesn't like hay experts hays, or burgess hays, or pets at home hay (good boy).

He likes oxbow but I just can't afford the ridiculous price of it - that is a treat hay only at the moment and I need to buy some more.

I'm running out of ideas. He's on a hay only diet and I've cut veg down to bare minimum to force him into eating it but that's not really working. He is eating some but his poos have gone from huge and golden to smaller and darker. We've been doing so well with not needing a dental but I can see all our hard work going down the toilet right now :(

Any ideas for cheap stalky hay? No green, no soft - they don't seem to go down well. Why is he so fussy????

I've noticed a difference in the latest bags of B&M as well - I assumed it was this years newly produced hay, though thinking about it, isn't it too early for that? Mine will still eat it but they aren't going as nuts for it as they did previously. The only other hay my gang go mad for is the very expensive Alfalfa King timothy hay from P@H and the Hay Experts - no way they can eat that all the time :(

Do you have any horse hay suppliers in your area that you could try as often this is thicker and stalker? I know that my bun prefers the thicker stalker hay and have also noticed that the B&M hay has become thinner and greener recently. This may just be because it is now first cut hay for this year and when the second cut stuff comes in it may be back to being thicker again. I'm lucky in that my dad is a farmer who makes hay to sell for horses so I can always get hay from him for my bun.

Good luck with your search, I really hope you can find a reasonably priced hay that your bun will love.

I've noticed a difference in the latest bags of B&M as well - I assumed it was this years newly produced hay, though thinking about it, isn't it too early for that? Mine will still eat it but they aren't going as nuts for it as they did previously. The only other hay my gang go mad for is the very expensive Alfalfa King timothy hay from P@H and the Hay Experts - no way they can eat that all the time :(

That's what I thought, I'm guessing all the good stuff is gone and this stuff is it for a while :( he hates the alfalfa king luckily! Just don't know where to go now :( the last B&M stuff was amazing

Do you have any horse hay suppliers in your area that you could try as often this is thicker and stalker? I know that my bun prefers the thicker stalker hay and have also noticed that the B&M hay has become thinner and greener recently. This may just be because it is now first cut hay for this year and when the second cut stuff comes in it may be back to being thicker again. I'm lucky in that my dad is a farmer who makes hay to sell for horses so I can always get hay from him for my bun.

Good luck with your search, I really hope you can find a reasonably priced hay that your bun will love.

I went to a couple on Thursday but they only sell GIANT bales that didn't look particularly good, my sisters boyfriend works on a dairy and he has a couple of friends that sell bales so I'm looking into that but just trying to find a good quick fix for now!

I am having a nightmare with Ferg and his only liking B&M hay. Their stock seems to have changed and has gone soft and green rather than the yellow stalky stuff he likes and I've checked all the local ones for any. It's taken 2 years to find one he loves and now it's gone :(

I went hay shopping locally and found a good stalky one, but it's meadow hay rather than Timothy so he'll eat some, but I don't think that's enough. I'm waiting on a timothyhay.co.uk sample (they aren't quick at sample postage apparently) to see if he likes that but he is SO fussy. He doesn't like hay experts hays, or burgess hays, or pets at home hay (good boy).

He likes oxbow but I just can't afford the ridiculous price of it - that is a treat hay only at the moment and I need to buy some more.

I'm running out of ideas. He's on a hay only diet and I've cut veg down to bare minimum to force him into eating it but that's not really working. He is eating some but his poos have gone from huge and golden to smaller and darker. We've been doing so well with not needing a dental but I can see all our hard work going down the toilet right now :(

Any ideas for cheap stalky hay? No green, no soft - they don't seem to go down well. Why is he so fussy????
I'm having the exact same problem at the mo, loved b&m but now it's soft they won't eat it. Have emailed. Timothyhay.co.uk about samples but still awaiting their reply!! :(

I'm having the exact same problem at the mo, loved b&m but now it's soft they won't eat it. Have emailed. Timothyhay.co.uk about samples but still awaiting their reply!! :(

Usually takes a couple of days to get a reply and then 2-3 days for sample to come :( but the samples a decent size and it does seem to down well! I've just ordered 10kg of the 2014 as he seems to really like it, and debating getting some 2013 to see what that's like too - it is really nice hay when it arrives :)

Have you tried local pet shops? I've managed to him to eat enough from one of those and readigrass to keep him going at the moment but I can't believe how much the B&M stuff has changed :(

Usually takes a couple of days to get a reply and then 2-3 days for sample to come :( but the samples a decent size and it does seem to down well! I've just ordered 10kg of the 2014 as he seems to really like it, and debating getting some 2013 to see what that's like too - it is really nice hay when it arrives :)

Have you tried local pet shops? I've managed to him to eat enough from one of those and readigrass to keep him going at the moment but I can't believe how much the B&M stuff has changed :(

The sample hay came!! (2014) and they really like it... So going to order 10kg I think! Hope your buns is still enjoying the hay!

The sample hay came!! (2014) and they really like it... So going to order 10kg I think! Hope your buns is still enjoying the hay!

Awwww yay glad they like it! He thinks it's the second best but is still missing B&M a little bit :lol:

I ordered the 10kg and it is HUGE - small bale (maybe bigger) sized so be prepared and find somewhere to store it haha! I had a heart attack when I found it and had to do a massive rearrange but it is fab :)

Awwww yay glad they like it! He thinks it's the second best but is still missing B&M a little bit :lol:

I ordered the 10kg and it is HUGE - small bale (maybe bigger) sized so be prepared and find somewhere to store it haha! I had a heart attack when I found it and had to do a massive rearrange but it is fab :)

Ooh I will have to make sure I have room for this somewhere!!
I'm still so disappointed about the b&m - mine also loved it :(

Ooh I will have to make sure I have room for this somewhere!!
I'm still so disappointed about the b&m - mine also loved it :(

I keep checking just in case but the one near me still has nothing :( if it ever comes back I'm buying everything they have :lol:

I keep checking just in case but the one near me still has nothing :( if it ever comes back I'm buying everything they have :lol:

Yes me too, I checked yesterday and they had bags but still looked green so no good :(
Let's hope it changes soon!!

Back