• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

With the forthcoming Heatwave..

pollypocket

Warren Scout
And temperatures supposed to be hitting 30+ I'm hoping that my 17 ice blocks will be enough to rotate to keep frozen and keep them cool. :D

17! :lol:

my piggy benjie is not good with heat so they've already got a cooling tile, a cooling mat and an ice pod! and my new fan should be arriving tomorrow hopefully.

i offered bisc an ice pod and he seems to be offended by it :shock:

I have draw with some water bottles in got about 6 now square ones are best so if they lie against them they won't roll away :thumb: but mine don't go near them but I keep putting them in :roll:

We've got 8 in ours and I've just "borrowed" 9 from a friend, so I'm hoping when we can get home I can wedge them in the freezer somewhere.
I just commented on whether it would be enough to ensure I've always got some frozen when she said to take hers. So I've got 9 more ready to take home. Lol.
Hopefully the weather people are wrong and it's not that hot! Otherwise they'll be sharing them with me.

Good luck everyone, hope it doesn't get as hot as they say it will. I think we're forecast about 23 up here, which is just nice, we have strong breezes though, so that helps !

I need to sort some out for mine tonight, it does seem a bit pointless as not one rabbit or guinea pig will bother to use it. :roll:

I'm not good in the heat so temperatures anywhere in the 20s is not good, 30s makes me want to cry!

yeh me too. i hate light anyway, and heat makes me ill, so together i just want to cry and hide away! but i need to keep an eye on the pets so i can't! x

Without laughing at a novice, what's an ice block? Is it the same as cubes? Just had to google the ice pod :lol: - do they try to eat these, and if they do does it contain anything harmful?

I'm not good in the heat so temperatures anywhere in the 20s is not good, 30s makes me want to cry!

I'm the opposite :lol: I like the house temp to be in the high 70s (about 26C) and the outdoor temp to be in the 90s (about 35F) with a 'feels like' temp of about 110 (about 44C) :lol: the hotter and more humid it is the better:love: I'm trying to enjoy summer as much as possible, it's always so sad by the time November comes round and you know it won't be proper hot again for months!

Granted, I don't really have to worry about my pets because they're either indoors or they're used to the heat and have the proper things to deal with it (although my outdoor cats really hate it). It was a bit of a pain last year when our air conditioner went out in the middle of summer and all day long I had to keep doing things to keep them cool e.g. giving the buns frozen bottles, spraying my parrots, etc, so I can understand the dread too!

What worked best for my buns was 2 liter coke bottles, especially with Ben as he liked to lay in between 2 of them (and he's tiny so it looked so adorable to see him squished between 2 giant bottles!). They did create a LOT of condensation though so I had to change their newspaper frequently!

Back