• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laundering bunny's blankets

Mrs Carr

Warren Scout
This may be a silly question but is it ok to wash rabbit blankets in the same cycle as my clothes? To be clear I'm not weird and worried about bunny germs on my clothing but am thinking more about the detergent and softener I use.

I DO like my washing to come out literally pungent with the smell of softener but will this be ok for bun? or should I do his things separately?

I may be a bit of a worrier when it comes to things like this but I would do his separately. I do with my pets stuff. I feel like the scent could irritate him (I know it does for me and buns have much better noses!) plus who knows what all toxic chemicals is in detergent/softeners (If you google that there's all sorts on the topic).

I wash my rabbit blankets using the same stuff as I use without a problem but I put them in a horse rug wash bag first to contain the amount of fluff and grass that clogs the machine up :)

i'd wash separately especially if you use strong washing detergent and softener. rabbits are too sensitive for strong chemicals.

i use co-op non bio for bunny washing, with a cap full of vinegar with the detergent and a cap full in the fabric softener drawer and also do an extra rinse aswell. i wash my clothes in the same way but not at the same time :wave:

This may be a silly question but is it ok to wash rabbit blankets in the same cycle as my clothes? To be clear I'm not weird and worried about bunny germs on my clothing but am thinking more about the detergent and softener I use.

I DO like my washing to come out literally pungent with the smell of softener but will this be ok for bun? or should I do his things separately?

Yes I like stuff to smell nice too :shock: I use the same stuff for my rabbits as I do for myself. My fabric conditioner is one without scent and for sensitive skin though ...

Thanks for the feedback :) Think I'll invest in some gentle detergent when I go shopping tomorrow to be on the safe side, horse rug bag is a great idea as well! hadn't even thought about all the bits of straw and fluff that will be in there

Give everything a good shake first and then wash all bunny towels, blankets, etc separately to avoid all your clothes having a layer of fur.

I use the same washing powder but always do it separately because of the fluff. Last time I washed Molly's duvet cover I had to tumble dry it and the amount of fluff in the dryers fluff catcher thingy was incredible! I don't want that all over my clothes!

I'd definitely do them seperately and also put vinegar into the final wash cycle to neutralise...

I always throw away. I couldn't bring myself to put bunny blankets in a washing machine that would later house my clothes. and never, ever, would I put them in together.

Really HB? would you never consider bleaching the washing machine...?. Must be quite costly for you..

lol! it is. bleaching the washer wouldn't work for me. the fluff would never go and the knowledge of the rabbit wee would render anything else that went into the washer absolutely unusable. I've thought of it, particularly with the last lot of picnic blankets, which I really liked, but it isn't going to happen. I can't even wash vetbed, that has to go, too.

Last edited:
My bunnies have some pro fleece, I was once a week so throwing away wouldn't really be an option.

I use non bio, no softener, second rinse quite often as pro fleece seems to hold the detergent!

Don't wash with my clothes but then the pro fleece takes up all the washing machine on it's own!

Hannah :)

I wash all my bunny towels/blankets on 60 degrees with ecover detergent. I am going to start using soapnuts when that runs out though which is more natural. I wash them separately to all my clothes unless I have any dirty gardening clothes that need a wash too!

We wash bunny blankets on 60 in a separate wash. I've been using our regular detergent, but maybe I'll look at getting a different one for them. And occasionally, we take their blankets to the launderette rather than use our machine at home. All blankets fit in one machine, it all gets tumble dried so very quick and easy 👍

I wouldn't wash them with my stuff purely because I wouldn't want to end up with bunny hairs all over my clothes. :lol::lol: I always use the same detergent and softener though.

I wash all bunny blankets towels and fleeces separately from my clothes. I brush fleeces with a stiff yard broom first and put in machine with any regular washing powder or liquid. I don't use conditioner for them. Just make sure you keep filters clear. Hay tends to block our machine occasionally. I then hang on the line or throw over a garden chair. Been doing it for years. If fleece gets too chewed or holey I throw out. Years ago we bought a 10 metre roll of fleece from ebay. It's lasted years. I also put fleece and a towel in rabbit carriers for vet trips.

I do have pet washing and my washing, pet washing has no softener and vinegar and is at least 60 degrees and mine is with softener and at 40 degrees. Occasionally if the piggies have a bed I will stick it in with my stuff to save having it hanging around but not the bunnies cos their hair is everywhere! I couldn't afford to throw the stuff away, hugely expensive! and since the fleece I use is pretty much plastic and would never really rot/biodegrade I wouldn't be happy adding to the landfill without getting good use out of it! I hand wash if I can't use the machine but only in Summer. In Winter it is manly hay, puppy pads and newspaper so no where near as much washing.

Back