• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Indoor or outdoor buns?

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi all,

I don't want this to become controversial in anyway & cause any upset with anyone. I hope people don't mind.. But I am really struggling whether to move my buns outside or keep them indoors?

At the moment I do have some questions please, which probably sound really stupid sorry... But really appreciate people's feedback!

1.) do rabbits actually enjoy human interaction? Or would they rather the peace?
My two have been inside since 8 weeks, and although very closely bonded, are also very close with me & my partner? But would they prefer to just be on their own and have peace from us?

2.) my two love being outside in the garden, but also seem to enjoy being in the house, do rabbits feel more natural in their own environment?

3.) if we did move them outside, would this affect them and make them upset as like I said they are pretty much with us 24/7

My biggest problem is with everything that's happened, I am scared about their healthcare... And feel that maybe keeping them inside I could keep a closer eye on them, what do you think?

Thanks, ruth xx

I think it depends totally on the individual Rabbit(s). Personally (and probably selfishly) I cant imagine having my Rabbits living outdoors all the time. I am so closely bonded with all of them and they know me better than I know myself !. H + H sound to be extremely happy with how things are. They have the best of both worlds. I dont think it can be possible to have such a close bond with Rabbits who are permanently outside. Unless of course you were to move outside with them !

I have a couple of Rabbits who really dont like the outdoors. And even more who would be horrified if they had to be outside in the rain !!

Hector has never been outside :shock:

It isn't a secure area but I have left the door open (supervised) to see what he does. The answer? Absolutely nothing. Not even the vaguest interest in the outside. Inside, however, is his kingdom. Honestly, I don't feel HE is missing out. Other rabbits, I don't know. I tend to agree that it depends upon the individual bunny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your bunnies already have perfect lives from what I can tell. If your bunnies are that well bonded with you I think they might miss your contact as much as you'd miss them. TBH even if it was in my bunnies best interests were to live outside I still couldn't do it, selfish I know. I want them with me . I agree with Jane that it will depend on individual rabbit personalities - for yours - why fix what isn't broken?

I think if I were in your position I'd keep things as they are. They sound like they're really close to you and your partner as well as each other so you all get mutual enjoyment from each other's company. Plus they have the best of both worlds at the moment: lovely garden to run around in and cuddles indoors with you :love:

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your great comments.

My heart defo wants them to stay in the house with us, I love coming home and they come bounding over & make me laugh so much. especially earlier when I came home with shopping and they are in the bags trying to find their herbs! Lol! :lol:

Well I just wasn't sure if the outdoors would be better for them being more natural, but after your comments I'm set on keeping them in with me, just got to work on Martin now to agree! :)

And exactly joey&boo... I would also miss them so much & know they would miss us! Thank you!!! :) :)

I think if I were in your position I'd keep things as they are. They sound like they're really close to you and your partner as well as each other so you all get mutual enjoyment from each other's company. Plus they have the best of both worlds at the moment: lovely garden to run around in and cuddles indoors with you :love:

^^ Totally agree!! :D

Keep things as they are if it suits you all. I have had both outdoor and indoor buns. At the moment I have 2 pairs of outdoor buns. I recently lost my indoor bunny Snowy aged 10 yrs. I really miss having an indoor bun but I'm happy with the others outdoors and as I'm retired they can come out and interact with me and play in the garden every day. They're litter trained and could come in if they needed to. My late Opera used to come upstairs and sleep outside the bedroom every night and get up early before we did.

I think one thing to think about is trying to ensure there is enough fresh air for them to breathe, and you too. I am a bit paranoid about fresh air, maybe, and also not to cause too much dust, or smoke. I am looking after a friend's indoor bunnies up the road and it gets like a hothouse so I have been opening their window during the day but closing it at night. No animal can get in as it's rather a cleverly designed window but I couldn't leave them in such a warm stuffy atmosphere.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks guys, well I'm currently trying to sort out with my other half! But hopefully they can continue to stay indoors with us! :)

I think our main reason for asking was we have a brand new 6ft hutch and run when we brought them initially, but guessing we can sell this and put the money to a nice new crate or something!

We currently live in a bungalow, so we're really lucky that it doesn't tend to get really really hot. Plus in every room we have black out blinds and we also have the curtains pulled slightly in our lounge when it's roasting! Plus they have the famous fire hearth they absolutly love, guessing as it's nice & cool for them. Plus they pretty much have run of the whole bungalow, so plenty of little places to hide in the shade. Plus we have a fan ready for next week if they need it.

Thanks everyone! :) xx

Even at that would the run ve useful for outside time?

Sounds like your rabbits have a cosy set up as is just now!:lol: lucky buns

I have both. Elphie, Galinda and Archimedes live outside. Elphie and Galinda love people, but like some space from them - and all three are happy with one another for company.

Athena has never been outside, but my mother is being driven mad by having her inside. Whilst I've been away, she's been nipping at Mum and wreaking havoc. I would love to keep her inside but I don't feel like I have much choice. The charity I'll be adopting from so she has a husbun will also expect rabbits to live outside.

I'd say it depends on the situation and the rabbits in question.

Rabbits are definitely happier outdoors. But it sounds as if yours are proper house rabbits sharing your space and that they have access to the garden too. In that case the house is just acting as a giant shed, what could be better! (Rabbits in cages inside is much much worse than their being outside.) The only remaining drawback being that house rabbits have access to chew unsuitable things and so are more prone to stasis.

Sounds to me like things are pretty perfect right now, I wouldn't change it if you don't have to.

I have had indoor and outdoor buns in the past but right now only have molly who lives inside with us. Having experienced both I can honestly say I will never have outdoor buns again. I loved my outdoor buns don't get me wrong but the bond I have with molly and did have with her late husbun marble is/was something quite different.

Molly does not live in a cage. She has a 12ft by 12ft room to herself. We have a sofa and radio in there so I spend a good deal of time with her. She is warm, safe and dry and totally protected from predators. Molly was rescued from appalling circumstances where she lived in filthy conditions. When I adopted her I made her a promise that she would never be cold and wet again.

She does have a run outside which she enjoys visiting on nice days for some fresh air.

I know some people have fantastic outdoor set ups and great bonds with their outdoor bunnies but it's not for me.

I agree that your bunnies have the perfect set up for them.Having lived as house buns and bonding with you I think they would miss being with you if they were to be permanently outside.They feel secure and confident in their environment which is a sign they are happy and having humans around they trust and like interacting with can only be a bonus.:)

Back