PDA

View Full Version : Advice with new hutch please?

Welsh Cadet
26-06-2015, 06:52 PM
I will be building a hutch for 2 bunnies this weekend and im looking for some advice on a couple of things

Im going to be treating the outside of the hutch with either Ronseal Timbercare or Cuprinol Gardens Shades, depending on which I can get my hands on ( I think their animal safe? does B&Q have their own make of treatment that's suitable? ) and im unsure if its safe to use them on the inside of the hutch aswell?

Also, as I work in the flooring trade I was thinking of using a waterproof vinyl on the floor of the hutch to make cleaning easier, is this ok? I havnt had bunnies in "ears" :D so cant remember if they chew/dig inside the hutch ( don't want them chewing the vinyl) if I cant, is the above treatments suitable for the floor of the hutch?

As I said its been years since I had rabbits ( I was about 10 ) so any advice will be much appreciated

Thankyou in advance

biscandmatt1
26-06-2015, 07:07 PM
cuprinol garden shades are definitely safe and the one most people use. wilkos also do a garden shades range which is also safe. not sure about any others.

alot of people also line the floor with lino/vinyl so that will be fine aswell. plenty of examples in the housing section. lots of pictures of lovely housing.

recommended sizing has moved on alot aswell, so this is something else to look into, if you haven't already. :)

AnnieElms
26-06-2015, 07:08 PM
Hi,

This sounds like a great project! Cuprinol garden shades is bunny safe. Lino is a good idea too. It makes "spillages" easy to clean up.

Have you seen the housing sticky on here (http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?311878-Outdoor-Housing-Tips-amp-Examples)? It's got tonnes of photos of housing, so might give you some inspiration for your hutch. What size will the hutch be? The RWAF minimum recommended is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft with an 8ft x 6ft run attached. Will you be doing a run as well? I love housing projects and seeing the photos :)

Welsh Cadet
26-06-2015, 07:53 PM
size wise ive managed to source some pallets from work which would make the hutch around 3ft 7" in length and 2ft in depth, but I am going to make it a 2 tier hutch with a ramp for easy access for the rabbits so it would have 2 levels, each around 2ft in height, is that ok? the rabbits we are getting are a lionhead and English cross, so im hoping it would be big enough?

I will also be building a run aswell, but im going to concentrate on the hutch for now as they are only 2 weeks old at the mo, still got 6 weeks b4 we get them

So the cuprinol would be ok inside the hutch then?

ive noticed some posts on insulating, if I was to ply the interior, would Carpet underlay act as a good enough insulation if I placed it between the ply and exterior wall?

Ill post some pics up if I remember to take them lol

tonibun
26-06-2015, 08:12 PM
Hi there! I am sorry but 3' 7" is far too small for 1 rabbit let alone 2. even if it's 2-storey. 5' 2-tier is better or a single level 6' x 2' x 2' is a good size, and if you have 2' of headroom you can fit a shelf at one end as bunnies love to sit up on a shelf.

Welsh Cadet
26-06-2015, 08:42 PM
ok thank you for that, ill adjust the size, just gonna have to re think the placement :), I can prob make it 6 ft without an problems, and keep it 2 storey aswell

parsnipbun
26-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Thats great! well done you! 6ft will allow them so much more space -

Santa
26-06-2015, 08:47 PM
(Edit: by the time I'd posted, you'd already replied saying you'll find a way to make it bigger :thumb:)

Hello! Sounds like you've got a nice DIY project on your hands :D I'm afraid 3'7 per level is nowhere near big enough for even the smallest rabbit - and in some ways making it two tier would actually make it worse because you'd lose so much space with the hole and the ramp between the two layers. By the time you've got a toilet area, somewhere to shelter from bad weather, food, water, hay rack and ramp, there'd be no space for them to move around in comfort at all. The perception of suitable hutch sizes is pretty historic, back from the days when rabbits were kept for food during and after the war, they were designed as a convenient way of keeping rabbits until it was their time to be eaten - and not designed with their long term welfare as pets in mind.

The minimum recommended size for rabbits is 6*2*2 with permanent access to a run - the design of their bodies and their natural environment is to be able to run, stretch, twist and turn, hence these recommendations. I'm afraid a hutch of the size you're proposing would not be kind to them and would be detrimental to their long term welfare. As you're planning on making it yourself, hopefully you can redesign to make something much bigger :D

As for insulation between hutch and ply, I'd recommend using something like thermawrap, it's a bit like bubble wrap surrounded by a reflective silver coating and it is really effective both at stopping heat from escaping in winter and stopping excess heat from getting in in summer. I wouldn't recommend carpet underlay as it's likely to absorb moisture to some extent and get damp and mouldy over time. Something that doesn't absorb would be much better and would probably last a lot longer.

BeatrixPotter
26-06-2015, 08:50 PM
Hi there! I am sorry but 3' 7" is far too small for 1 rabbit let alone 2. even if it's 2-storey. 5' 2-tier is better or a single level 6' x 2' x 2' is a good size, and if you have 2' of headroom you can fit a shelf at one end as bunnies love to sit up on a shelf.

Just realised in the time it took me to type out my post you had changed your plans and I am so pleased :D. Just ignore my post now.:wave:

I agree with tonibun. The hutch you have planned is much too small. It is recommended that the rabbit be able to do at least 3 hops in their hutch which means 6ft minimum really. I personally would not have a bun in anything less than a 6' by 2' hutch with a permanently attached 6' by 4' run and if possible bigger. Please, please don't put your bunnies in a 3ft hutch. It's good that you are getting 2 though. Bunnies like having a friend.

biscandmatt1
26-06-2015, 09:23 PM
glad you will be making the hutch larger than originally planned. they need alot of space :) i think a double tier 6ft would be good, because even though the ramp will take up room, you may need to split the bunnies after their neuter/spay depending on the sexes of the two little ones you are getting, so each having 6ft until they can be rebonded will be good. :)

people have used cuprinol inside hutches before but it isn't necessary. you could even use vinyl on the sides of the hutch aswell if you wanted, or part way up, to make the sides wipe clean aswell. i've seen other people do this aswell.

look forward to pics of the build. :)

Welsh Cadet
26-06-2015, 09:53 PM
the build is gonna take me a few weeks to do due to work so any pics will be of a progressive build, as for the sexes were getting 2 females, and there will be a run for them aswell, just need to get a plan on paper now, the hutch I had as a kid was pretty open, but im thinking of having about a third of 1 tier closed off ( no wire mesh on front ) so as to give them a decent area where theres no wind ect getting to them, that's something that should be there im assuming?

biscandmatt1
27-06-2015, 03:41 PM
the build is gonna take me a few weeks to do due to work so any pics will be of a progressive build, as for the sexes were getting 2 females, and there will be a run for them aswell, just need to get a plan on paper now, the hutch I had as a kid was pretty open, but im thinking of having about a third of 1 tier closed off ( no wire mesh on front ) so as to give them a decent area where theres no wind ect getting to them, that's something that should be there im assuming?

definitely good to have a 'bedroom' area which has a solid door. like you say, somewhere to keep them dry, warmer in cold weather and also to run and hide to incase they get scared of something :wave: