• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles bun problems

ayshajade

New Kit
Hi guys thought I'd ask for some advice as I don't think I could get it any where better as I know there are a lot bun experts here!

My lionhead Dandelion was first diagnosed with Snuffles pasteurella 11/04/15. I noticed her damp nose but she had no other symptoms so I booked her in at the vets and she was diagnosed with snuffles. She was on 1ml of Septrin twice daily for 2 weeks and Bio-Lapis, and if anything her nose got worse (thick white discharge) and making little wheezing noises. I finished off the treatment and still she was no better so I took her back. They gave her engemycin injections every 3 days. At the end of the last injection her symptoms had gone. But being on them she wouldn't eat at all. She refused her pellets so I had to put water on them and put it in the microwave so the pellets were soft as that was the only time she would eat any of her pellets.

The vet was really worried as she lost loads of weight and asked how much am I feeding her. I feed her 60g of Burgess adult pellets daily and the vet told me to increase them. She had normal faeces (not different shapes or too small). She was eating her hay, which I monitored in her litter tray. I mix meadow hay with different types of timothy hay for flavour (burgess woodlands or the Alfafa King timothy). But timothy hay is their main hay source.

10 days later her symptoms came back worse so back to the vet she went again and they gave her the same course of injections. This time I was allowed to take them home as I had to provide ID that I worked at the company as the vets don't allow people to take the injections home. They told me she may never be cured of snuffles and to allow around 14 days for her last injection to kick in as it would still be in her system.

She finished the course of the 4th of this month and I noticed her nasal discharge has slowed down. There is no thick white discharge, she never sneezed or had discharge in her eyes or on her paws. But she still has a damp nose and no other symptoms. Since being off the injections she is eating all her food, drinking, eating her hay, normal poo and seems her happy self. I don't know whether to take her to back the vets? I am just petrified she gets pneumonia or the stress makes her worse or if they put her back on the injections she won't eat again as they made her ill :(

I was in the process of bonding her with my dutch boy and since I noticed symptoms I had to stop their visits which upset me as it withheld them moving into their new bunny shed. Do I keep her separate from him and just not let them bond in case he gets it? He is an old rabbit, he is 9 now and is rather lonely since my dwarf lop died who he had bonded with last year :( I just want him to be happy in his old age and they really got on.

Some advice into whether I should take her back to the vets or continue or stop bonding will help me greatly. I'm in such a dilemma :(

what vets do you use currently? ashleigh vets in whalley range manchester are the best exotics vets in our area. i would highly recommend aidan raftery. he treated both my rabbits for a respiratory infection. it can be a stubborn condition, sometimes not curable but can be managed successfully, although getting to that point can be trial and error along the way. for comparison, my rabbit bisc took three months of treatment to get to 'stable' (long term metacam and nebulising though) whereas matt took a good 18months to become 'stable' as he had a very chronic infection. it took alot to get there but the main thing is that we did, and that was thanks to aidan.

so i would go to see them if you don't already and see what they say. but even though it seems a long road, and a hard one, there really are alot of things to try yet. sometimes things do seem worse before better but there is definitely hope :wave:

I go to the vets4pets/companion care in Stockport. Ashleigh vets is only a 10-15 minute drive from me so that's great! Thank you so much for your reply I will book an appointment for her as soon as possible

I go to the vets4pets/companion care in Stockport. Ashleigh vets is only a 10-15 minute drive from me so that's great! Thank you so much for your reply I will book an appointment for her as soon as possible

you're welcome :) let us know how you get on :)

Back