• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Azithromycin / Zithromax not eating

Mayhew

New Kit
Hi all, just a quick question. As some may know our rabbit has been suffering with head tilt for the last few weeks due either to an inner ear infection or EC. For the last 14 days she has been on injectable Penacillin, but due to lack of any improvement and my own research, we asked the vet if we could try Azithromycin (Zithromax) which some people have reported success with. We did know that loss of appetite was a possibility , and sure enough after her first dose this morning she is now unwilling to eat, whereas she was very keen to do so before. We're booked to see the vet for review tomorrow , but just wondering whether people would stop giving the Zithromax at the first sign of reduced appetite, or continue with it? My instinct is to stop and continue with Penacillin which didn't cause any such problems. It's just so much more stressful managing things when she's not eating.

Thanks

Hi all, just a quick question. As some may know our rabbit has been suffering with head tilt for the last few weeks due either to an inner ear infection or EC. For the last 14 days she has been on injectable Penacillin, but due to lack of any improvement and my own research, we asked the vet if we could try Azithromycin (Zithromax) which some people have reported success with. We did know that loss of appetite was a possibility , and sure enough after her first dose this morning she is now unwilling to eat, whereas she was very keen to do so before. We're booked to see the vet for review tomorrow , but just wondering whether people would stop giving the Zithromax at the first sign of reduced appetite, or continue with it? My instinct is to stop and continue with Penacillin which didn't cause any such problems. It's just so much more stressful managing things when she's not eating.

Thanks

I would feel very reluctant to continue giving it, but that is just my unqualified opinion. Have you let your Vet know that your Rabbit has stopped eating ? Given that I know of some Rabbits who have had a bad reaction to Zithromax requiring them to be Hospitalised I would definitely give the Vet a call now if you have not done so already.

Thanks

I am very cautious using Zithromax. 14 days on the Pen doesn't seem long enough to judge a result I would think, but if it were my bunny I would stop the Zithromax. Was the vet keen to use it? You say that you asked to try it - have you stopped the Pen?

Yes I know what it's like having a rabbit who won't eat! Total stress for all concerned :shock:

If she doesn't eat tonight don't give it tomorrow, but if she does, even if less than usual, persevere, it is a very good drug and at least it is not a long course. Penicillin on its own is unlikely to do anything. In combination with baytril and metronidazole it would be more effective. Or engemycin, septrin and metronidazole is a very effective combination for head tilt.

I have never had to stop giving zithromax due to a bad reaction but I have had to give cisapride and metacam along with it.

Last edited:
Back