• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying while feeding kits

kerrylouise

Warren Scout
My doe willow had an unexpected litter just over a week ago ( we were rold she was neautreud)

The worry is she may be expecting as the male was with her, my rabbit vet has said they could spay her but it may dry out her milk whixh obviously isnt good for the kits

Has anyone had any experience on spaying a doe who is feeding?

She is having an ultrasound next week to determine if she is or not

My doe willow had an unexpected litter just over a week ago ( we were rold she was neautreud)

The worry is she may be expecting as the male was with her, my rabbit vet has said they could spay her but it may dry out her milk whixh obviously isnt good for the kits

It's not something I would do. I believe some people on here have though and hopefully one of them will see this thread and give an account of their experiences.

I know this used to happen at one of the Rescues where I worked, to prevent too many unwanted litters.

I have a feeling it's the timing that's important - I'm trying to think back to what they did! Your vet will be the best person to advise, and he could maybe consult with another if not sure or to double check?

I would wait until the kits are 3 weeks old. they can survive without milk at this stage if the doe does dry up and a three week termination can still be done.

I would wait until the kits are 3 weeks old. they can survive without milk at this stage if the doe does dry up and a three week termination can still be done.

Spaying a Doe at 3 weeks gestation would be a huge risk. The increase in vascular activity in the uterus means that there is a very significant risk of haemorrhage. In general it is not advisable to spay a pregnant Doe who is more than 10 days gestation.

Whilst 3 week old kits may be able to survive if the Doe's milk dries up it is certainly not in their best interests to carry out a procedure on the lactating Doe which risks denying lives already here of optimum age specific nutrition.

I thought the time element was two weeks, but would go with three weeks, because of the milk and feeding the little ones issue.

What does your vet say?

Back