• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny Spay

Freyafrog

New Kit
Hello, :wave:

I'm new to this forum.

My bunnies Reggie (Regina) and Rosie are getting spayed tomorrow and I'm so nervous about it. I know it sounds silly but I was so upset this morning when I went out to feed them and they were all bouncy and happy to think that tomorrow they will be having their op. :( but I know its best for them and hopefully I will be able to bond them once they are all healed and back to normal, so they can live much happier lives together :D

Please can somebody give me some advice on aftercare.

How do you set up the hutch after? I was thinking newspaper and maybe a blanket so they've got something soft to lie on should they choose. Would this be okay?

What's the best way to check the incision to make sure it isn't infected without having to disturb them too much? Reggie is quite a mischievous bunny and I just hope she doesn't start messing with it.

What's the best way to give them the pain relief?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

The main thing is to get pain relief as that will kee your bunnies eating if they are not in pain. I was always useless as syringe feeding as Doughnut hates being picked up. I used to put it on a bit of crumbled up weetabix. Most rabbits love weetabix and it's so less stressful. The pain relief medicine is called metacam and it is honey flavoured so they will probably like it. You may also get antibiotics and sometimes vets give you fibreplex which helps the gut keep moving and is carrot flavoured.

I would give them a bowl to drink out of and don't expect them to eat pellets. Get fresh herbs for them. Most rabbits just want to eat fresh stuff when they are poorly. They will need hutch rest for about 24 hours, so not to pull their stitches. I picked Doughnut up in the evening and in the morning she hadn't eaten anything, I was so upset but by 12 she then started munching. If they don't eat for 24 hours the vets will tell you to take them back to them. You could always put the medicine on a bit of herb or banana, whatever you can get them to eat.

Have you got any vetbed? They sell it on a roll in pet shops, it's like fleece and very comfortable. A blanket is fine though.

I didn't pick Doughnut up to check, I know some people do. I just had a look when she cleaned herself. Her wound was glued inside and stitches on the outside and she had nibbled the stitches a bit but not too much.

Try not to feel guilty. There is such a high risk of them getting cancer of the uterus if you don't do this so you are certainly doing it with their best interest at heart. It's difficult when they are so well but think how guilty you would feel if you didn't do this and they died a horrible death.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
That's very helpful, thank you. :)

Doughnut is beautiful

Hopefully they will like the taste of metacam, they never usually refuse anything that's edible. :)

They will definitely be getting spoilt rotten after. (More than usual)

Ah thanks, she is a little cutie.

Just assume that they aren't going to be interested in their dry food but will prefer fresh. Maybe grass if they are having it now and tempting herbs. Let us know how it goes.

I bet they will be!

The bunnies are home and have been spayed.

They're now currently sitting feeling sorry for themselves :(

They haven't eaten or had any water yet though. How long until I should start worrying?

Thank you

Your bunnies will probably want to rest for tonight and should start to nibble at their favourite things tomorrow. They usually prefer some fresh grass or the veg they usually have rather than their pellets. Hope they recover very soon.

They are okay thank you. Rosie has eaten quite a lot today. Reggie hasn't eaten much but has managed some Romaine lettuce and a bit of hay. Both are weeing and pooing so that's good. Reggie seems to love the metacam and had it straight of the syringe. Rosie wasn't too keen but had it eventually :)

Back