• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

SORE around the eye - ideas?

sharkfur

Warren Scout
Hello,

So we adopted a little girly a year ago, we love her to bits.. She has an anatomical issue with one of hear tear ducts, it is blocked. Vets tried to flush it, tried medication, then they came to the conclusion that she will stay like that. That is not why I am writing this post, just some background info.. :)
So, with her left tearduct blocked, her little fur is always wet then bunched up around the corner of her eye.Today I soaked it, gently removed the dirty bunched up bits, and now the skin shows.. it seems to be sore, since the way it is always pulling when it dries.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ISSUES LIKE THAT? What do you suggest? wipe it with cammomile tea to make the soreness better? Will the fur grow back around the eye if it is constantly teared up?

Thank you very much for every comment..
M

Hello,

So we adopted a little girly a year ago, we love her to bits.. She has an anatomical issue with one of hear tear ducts, it is blocked. Vets tried to flush it, tried medication, then they came to the conclusion that she will stay like that. That is not why I am writing this post, just some background info.. :)
So, with her left tearduct blocked, her little fur is always wet then bunched up around the corner of her eye.Today I soaked it, gently removed the dirty bunched up bits, and now the skin shows.. it seems to be sore, since the way it is always pulling when it dries.
DOES ANYONE HAVE ISSUES LIKE THAT? What do you suggest? wipe it with cammomile tea to make the soreness better? Will the fur grow back around the eye if it is constantly teared up?

M

Sorry to hear about your girly - a common problem in rabbits with tooth roots getting long and all that jazz.
Has she got a partner? That's the very best way to keep the eye clean :thumb:

I would not advocate putting any creams or oils around the eye, as they will undoubtedly get *in* the eye and irritate sooner or later. You can bathe in cooled boiled water and if you clean her eye up regularly yourself it should help the fur to grow back naturally. You would probably have to do this with a soft cotton ball or pad about once a day.

Hello,

M

I have a Rabbit with the same problem. I bathe her eye daily and gently massage around the nasolacrimal duct which sometimes removes a plug of gunk that has accumulated. Whilst this does not clear the entire duct it does help. Then I apply some lacrilube on the area that gets wet from any ocular discharge. Lacrilube is perfectly safe to use even if it goes into the eyes. It is one of the eye protector/lubricants used when a Rabbit has a GA. It prevents any dust particles irritating the cornea whilst the Rabbit cant blink because they are anaesthetised.

http://www.pharmacyfirst.co.uk//med...FqBuNxdz4Zuq6OlXU_S4YqtcGVBeGqUXcYaAvqZ8P8HAQ

My Vet recommended this protocol to manage the chronic condition. I think you may have used the same Vet in the past, Twickenham Vets.

Thank you very much for the comments, I shall clean the area around the eye, and will also try the massaging routine...let's see if it helps...usually we dont get any gunk back though when we try..

I have had this situation with older bunnies. I would wash it once a day and blot the moisture several times a day. Jane's tip on the Lacrilube is brilliant and I will try it the next time I have this problem.

I have had this situation with older bunnies. I would wash it once a day and blot the moisture several times a day. Jane's tip on the Lacrilube is brilliant and I will try it the next time I have this problem.

Hi Bunny Momma

As I understand it (and have used it) Lacrilube is an eye ointment which goes *into* the eye to recent dry eye (can cause blurred vision) and is not to put around the eye as an emollient. I prefer to use Viscotears for this purpose as I find it easier to manage!

Back