• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Injuries from rabbits

Bellatrix15

Warren Scout
I was putting Bellatrix back into her run and hutch after having a good runaround in the garden and her back legs badly scratched my stomach. I'm ok and it was my fault for not putting her down properly but it made me wonder if people on the forum have had many injuries fr their rabbits!? I also fell into her run and cut my arm the other week but that just shows how clumsy I am!

Yep, I was so badly scratched from Poppy once that it took over a year to heal and fade, that was when we first got her and the run wasn't attached to the hutch. Very deep.. I don't heal very quickly though!
I've had scratches on my stomach, arms, wrists, neck, chest, boobies, legs..
I've been bitten by my semi blind rabbit because I got in the way. I didn't realise until I saw blood running from my hand :lol:

It wasn't even that I was holding them funny or badly, most of the time it was medicine time or vet trip time and I didn't fancy chasing them!

Used to get loads of scratches but now I'm more careful and I only get the odd one. I put Sudocrem on any scratches, this seems a good thing to do. I did read years ago that you can get flu like symptoms from a rabbit scratch which appear about 2 weeks later.

I'm permanently covered in scratches!

I now also have an arm covered in bruises from carrying Otis around. When he is eager to get somewhere his front legs start 'running' against my arm :)

Cookie scrabbled up my face and onto my head mid claw cutting session and scratched a 5/6 inch scratch from top to bottom with freshly cut claws. It felt like my face was going to fall in half!

Years ago my biter Sooty bit the palm of my hand, it was creased when she did it and when I opened the palm of my hand it was in the shape of an S for Sooty! I can't remember if it was that time or another and she died and I remember not wanting the bite marks to ever go :oops:

I was holding Chester while pregnant and he launched himself off my belly with his back legs and my bump went rock hard for hours. I had travelled to meet a friend and remember calling my mum in the middle of the train station crying to see if it was alright!

Lopsy panic-scratched at least two people (I've been spared ;P) in December and the scars are still bright :) I've had multiple scratches from the runs and meshing and stuff. Matt got a badly scratched and bruised leg from the puppy panel top while trying to avoid stepping on an overexcited Lopsy XD

Think the worst I've ever had from Ferg was a nip that just about broke the skin BUT I did fall over his tunnel and kick the wardrobe the other day :lol:

We had a rabbit as children that wasn't particularly cuddly and she used to scratch huge gouges down my dads arms when he picked her up to put her in a run, but I still loved her :)

I'm covered in scars from scratches and bites! The worst injuries were when Melody bit my hand and hit a nerve. My thumb was numb for nine months after that one, and recently Pansy (big Frenchie) kicked the comb when I was grooming her bottom and embedded two prongs of the comb into one of my fingers. It swelled up and turned bue and I needed a course of antibiotics!

I currently look like I've been in a fight with a hedge, the amount of scratches I have from my rabbits right now! That time of year with extra grooming sessions for moulting bunnies, transports to and from vets for check-ups and jabs etc has led to more scratches than usual!

Hands, arms, neck, chest, bewbies (it's no fun having a 3kg rabbit wanting to sit on my chest-shelf!), tummy, all got scratches right now!

The one thing that always gets me is that it never hurts when it happens, but you start to feel it a couple of hours later... Then you've got to work out who to blame! LOL

Yep. Elphie once bit my thigh during a failed-bonding attempt with Galinda a couple of years ago - she was aiming for Galinda, not me. Still have a faint scar.

Athena, meanwhile, has left lovely scratches across both the palm and back of my hand - and up my thighs. To be fair to her, I was medicating her and trying to clean the post-abscess surgery wounds. :lol:

I have a little raised, white, 1cm long scar on the inside of my left wrist from my first rabbit Bertie. I like it - it's like a tattoo, a little reminder of him.

I got a nasty bite on my palm when I stupidly gave Kizzy a fenugreek crunchie from the flat of my hand. Now I know better, I can hand feed my buns anything else but not fenugreek crunchies - I have tried several methods of feeding fenugreek crunchies to the buns (gardening gloves, extra long BBQ tongs etc) but I find by far the safest method is to hand the fenugreek crunchie to my boyfriend to pass on to the buns. I am happy to report that i haven't had a single nip or scratch since adopting this method. :evil:

Last Christmas I looked after my step-daughters bun for afew days.I needed to shut him in the hutch while I cleaned the run.He wasn't impressed:roll:I had a bite on my hand for my trouble!!He really is a lovely friendly bun who LOVES nose rubs but if he doesn't want to do something he lets you know!

I have permanent scars. One from Matthew Rabbit scratching me is the worst, I think.
I've been bitten, hard, countless times, mainly by Tabby Rabbit. Tabitha once sank her teeth into the soft skin between my thumb and forefinger and would not let go, even when I raised my arm and lifted her right off the floor, hanging from her jaws locked around my poor hand. She was one nasty bunny. Spaying helped but not just because of the hormones. Tabby was really ill after her spay but she trusted me and we got through the vet appointments together, and have been less damaging of each other since. By each other, I mean, she doesn't damage me so often. Her mother was a biter, I knew that before Tabby came to me. But she has a random black mark and couldn't be shown, so she needed to come to me to keep Matthew company.
Cecile BunBun once tried to nip my daughter. Daughter showed Cecile her teeth. Cecile looked alarmed and never tried it again. She's a clever bunny. She shredded Tabby's ears, though, when I put them together last year.
Charlie Rabbit doesn't bite people. He masquerades as a cuddlebun whilst reserving his vicious attacks for other bunnies.
[sighs]

My boys are pretty easy to handle but my girls are a whole different story... I usually find myself with a few scratches on my arms if I try to pick them up.

I've had significant arm scratches when giving buns medication but that said, they wouldnt normally hurt you at all.. They just dont like being held,,

Worst I've ever had is bunny teefs piercing my thumb nail :shock: now that one hurt but it was a case of hand in wrong place at the wrong time & my bridge bun Molly was a bit of a madam, her nickname was Diva though my family called her the rottweiler bunny [emoji38] she was my beautiful princess & wouldn't have changed anything about her :love: still miss her & it'll be 2 yrs this July :(

10898096_10152650082255892_8682537363610367006_n.jpg

Bunny boarder :( I was leaning down into his floor-level hutch, finishing off cleaning it out, and he was having an explore around the room....when I put down a dish of plantain for him, he dashed back into the hutch, turning and biting me as he whizzed past! No reason, no provocation, he was just a mean bunny!

Still have the scar now.....plus a few others the same bunny has given me over the years....hands, fingers, arms, etc......we keep all body parts well clear of him now!

One finger bitten down to the bone, could see the bone through the flap of skin hanging off.
Same finger other hand, also bitten almost down to the bone.

Back foot to the jaw, broke a tooth, thought I'd broken my jaw but got away with it.

Bitten on the collarbone, that hurt like :censored:

Back foot to the ribs, cracked a rib

Not directly bunny fault but tripped in the bunny garden and went face first into the four foot dividing fence, lost a front tooth.

Forgot the four inch splinter up my finger, also not directly bunny at fault but I was closing the hutch door at the time. Pulling it out hurt like a :censored: too. Fainted for that one and had to have a stiff drink

Back